Instagram trying to compete with YouTube

Taz The Yorkie

Reaction score
yesterday Instagram launched IGTV app. Anyone looked into it yet? I’ve heard the video is longways instead of widescreen so I guess I can’t just dump all my YouTube videos on there.
Just wondering what everyone thought about IGTV.

Safwan Foy

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I have no idea... I'd love for it to be a thing but i dont see new talent coming up, more loke ex viners, or current youtubers using it as an extra source of income..

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hirudov

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Yet, another place where people can freeboot YouTube videos. At least the Facebook's ContentID offers to check Instagram videos as well. And as pointed above Facebook/Instagram is years behind YouTube in the video field, but they have the money and can catch up pretty quickly if they focus.

videoeditgr

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
It is not only platform competition but also users that drive audience.
In the news today there was a viral Twittered video of a (second) bride entering a wedding ceremony.
I saw it at work fast and didn;t kept any link or other info.
But as far as I remember it was a vertical low quality video that at the time had 60.000+ views
more that 3000 likes and at least 1500 comments...
I think it was an event or South Africa or a place nearby.

:)

Reactions: Taz The Yorkie

Boki

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Cartoonist
I don't think I'll be switching to Instagram anytime soon. YT is where I get my vids and it does a good job at it. :)

Reactions: Taz The Yorkie

xingcat

Be good to self.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
The vertical format makes me wonder how much artistry will be going on there. I guess it could work, but it seems very limiting, and definitely geared toward quickly-made things you'd put together on your phone, rather than making films. We'll see how it goes, I guess.

Reactions: darkstarmedia

darkstarmedia

Words are great.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Given that Instagram is owned by Facebook, that really doesn't surprise me. However, I do find it hilarious that vertical video is kind of an infamous taboo on YouTube - and now, Instagram is going all out and making a platform based solely on that. Amazing.

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I heard about it, but I didn’t check into today, I’m not sure if youtube will have anything to worry about youtube will still be the biggest video platform for a long time because of bigger YouTubers and music videos.

Spence Bailey

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Other
I've looked into it but I just feel like it's not useful unless you are verified on Instagram. A lot of the restrictions without being verified makes it seem difficult to grow your audience. I can see it being an easy for at to upload things quickly, like having a Snapchat story but wanting to keep it hosted for a long time. Whereas I feel that YouTube allows for great quality of content and videos than what someone would quickly dump o to IGTV.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: D.a.weaver