Instagram to promote a channel

Darren Taylor

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I have looked around on the forums, but I can't find any previous discussion around using Instagram to promote a YouTube channel.

I have never used Instagram but someone suggested I should try it. Has anybody done this and had success in doing so? What growth did you see and what strategies did you use?

Thanks,
Darren

Reactions: LIVEst

spartanfit1

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I am very interested in what people have done as well. I have tried it and continue to try it however i don't seem to get any more traffic to my channel than what I already do...

MrYorkiesWorld

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'd say Instagram could be a good platform to generate more viewers and/or subscribers, but I think it's a little limited. It is only really used to share photos for the majority and although, granted - a picture can tell a thousand words, it might not necessarily be the BEST tool to use. I think people with larger fan bases have better success because people know who they are (celebs for example) but apart form that, I prefer to use Facebook and Twitter.

spartanfit1

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'd say Instagram could be a good platform to generate more viewers and/or subscribers, but I think it's a little limited. It is only really used to share photos for the majority and although, granted - a picture can tell a thousand words, it might not necessarily be the BEST tool to use. I think people with larger fan bases have better success because people know who they are (celebs for example) but apart form that, I prefer to use Facebook and Twitter.
Thanks for the info. I've been trying all 3, but I am still a very small channel so not many followers on Twitter (yet) and Facebook is mainly friends.

chubbybots

I've Got It
Reaction score
I used primarily instagram for my work in progress pictures / teasers :D And then facebook with more pics of the work in progress with in depth discussions on it and then finally youtube for the full package where i show case the build tutorials ^^ Each platform will have their own specific strategy or use :D So far been seeing steady subscriptions in all 3 platforms

Reactions: Darren Taylor

Darren Taylor

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I used primarily instagram for my work in progress pictures / teasers :D And then facebook with more pics of the work in progress with in depth discussions on it and then finally youtube for the full package where i show case the build tutorials ^^ Each platform will have their own specific strategy or use :D So far been seeing steady subscriptions in all 3 platforms
I would love to know how you get people over to your channel in terms of strategy?

Do you post a picture and have a link in the description to your video? How many insta followers do you have? Thanks!

The BBQ Chef

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think Instagram is nice to have but driving traffic to your Youtube page will be tough. Having a link in your description is about the only thing you can do to help that.
As your Instagram audience grows from engagement in photographs it would help just to occasionally post asking for people to take a look at your Youtube page.

Yachts For Sale

Yachts For Sale
Reaction score
I read somewhere that statistically speaking Instagram has more than 50 x more engagement than twitter. This has certainly been my experience, every time I post on Instagram I get some sort of reaction, whether that be just someone liking the photo or commenting. That is certainly not the case when I tweet.

Having said that, I think it is a bad strategy to use one social media platform to "drive" traffic to another social platform. If somebody is on Instagram, it is because that is where they want to be in that moment. Why try to drive them out to be somewhere else?

Personally I use Instagram to post any particularly attractive photos of yachts or yachting events and also to post behind the scene photos of videos in production. I know that a healthy number of my subs also follow me on Instagram, so I see the Instagram platform as a way of staying on their radar even when they do not want to be watching videos on YouTube. Added to that, now that I have rebranded my channel I hope that my logo will be more recognisable and my Instagram followers who do NOT currently watch my videos will be more inclined to check them out when they are using YouTube and see my logo.

just Moto

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
You but the link in your bio/profile to your channel as that is the only place it will be clickable. Then you say checkout my new video on youtube (Link in Bio)

It can be somewhat useful when starting out and every sub seems so hard to get

Darren Taylor

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I read somewhere that statistically speaking Instagram has more than 50 x more engagement than twitter. This has certainly been my experience, every time I post on Instagram I get some sort of reaction, whether that be just someone liking the photo or commenting. That is certainly not the case when I tweet.

Having said that, I think it is a bad strategy to use one social media platform to "drive" traffic to another social platform. If somebody is on Instagram, it is because that is where they want to be in that moment. Why try to drive them out to be somewhere else?

Personally I use Instagram to post any particularly attractive photos of yachts or yachting events and also to post behind the scene photos of videos in production. I know that a healthy number of my subs also follow me on Instagram, so I see the Instagram platform as a way of staying on their radar even when they do not want to be watching videos on YouTube. Added to that, now that I have rebranded my channel I hope that my logo will be more recognisable and my Instagram followers who do NOT currently watch my videos will be more inclined to check them out when they are using YouTube and see my logo.
Thanks for your always solid advice.

It makes sense. I could look at it as another avenue to stay connected with followers and if they discover my channel or website, then great. But to build engagement and following would be great. Only problem is, unlike you, I don't have a visual product, so I think I may struggle.

I may test it in the coming days and see if it worth time and effort.

Thanks again

Reactions: Yachts For Sale