Info on Copyright and Fair Use.

TRIAL&ERROR

Reaction score
Hello there,

Recently I have been watching few funny Family Guy clips on youtube, but then I got curious and wondered if these types of channels that upload these 2-5 minute clips get paid? They get a ton of subscribers 50-100k and most of the videos that are released on same day get about 50-200k views. I commented on one of the videos and some viewers replied that as long as they don't get copyrighted they do in fact receive money. So does this mean they are technically covered under the Fair Use? I did not see any ads displayed on the video, so I am assuming they aren't with Google Adsense. Any clarification would be helpful, thanks in advance.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Moved to the copyright / legal forum. :)

Joley

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I know this for a fact if a video has been claimed by another person who owns the material, the money made from that video is given to them. I've had this happen many times because YouTube loves me so very much, but I think because the person who uploaded the Family Guy funny bits has cut out, edited and made small sections of moments from the show then it does go under fair use because they haven't just uploaded an entire episode.

I think...

TRIAL&ERROR

Reaction score
Yeah, that's exactly what they did was cut the episode in a short clip. All I know is that if they are getting paid and bypass the copyright, then that's some easy money. lol

Quick Question

Questions Answer Everything
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
If anyone knows more about this please share! I would love to know as well.

subversiveasset

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Hello there,

Recently I have been watching few funny Family Guy clips on youtube, but then I got curious and wondered if these types of channels that upload these 2-5 minute clips get paid? They get a ton of subscribers 50-100k and most of the videos that are released on same day get about 50-200k views. I commented on one of the videos and some viewers replied that as long as they don't get copyrighted they do in fact receive money. So does this mean they are technically covered under the Fair Use? I did not see any ads displayed on the video, so I am assuming they aren't with Google Adsense. Any clarification would be helpful, thanks in advance.
YouTube's content ID system isn't perfect. For one, not every copyrighted work is in content ID. But as another point, it doesn't always catch everything -- and a lot of times, people edit the video or audio files just enough to avoid detection.

This does NOT make these videos fair use. Rather, if they haven't been matched with content ID, they are almost assuredly infringing copyright -- they just haven't been caught because copyright isn't perfect.