Indoor Lighting: blue-tinged white light?

Rowan Oakley

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
This is a question for anyone who knows a thing or three about lighting.

I'm going to make a DIY halo light and have most of the raw materials; all I need is a string of lights. I already happen to have a string of LED lights at home but I'm not sure if they'll be okay for the project because they're so brightly-white they have a blue tinge. Before I go through the effort of cable-tying these lights to a frame, wrapping the whole thing up in greaseproof paper, etc. etc. can anyone tell me if such intensely white lights are a good idea for a project like this?

If they're not, what would be better? Warm white lights, perhaps? Is it possible to have warm white lights that are too yellow?

Thanks in advance!

adams eats

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Most 'warm white' bulbs here in the uk just mean yellow basically...and they are horrible for filming. My set up is far from ideal and I need to invest in some more lighting. But I use white light led bulbs in my kitchen and I have a string of white lights stuck above the cooker. Where the cooker is, there's a dark area so I use those to fill with light. I don't have any windows in my kitchen so I have to rely on artifical light. As I said though I've still got to sort mine out properly so I'm far from qualified to give advice lol

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Moved to the recording / editing / production / hardware forum. :)

MostShockingEP

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
You need led bulbs for nice white color, that is not white/blue or white yellow. If you do not have led bulbs in your country you could order them from aliexpress

Elysia

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
This is a question for anyone who knows a thing or three about lighting.

I'm going to make a DIY halo light and have most of the raw materials; all I need is a string of lights. I already happen to have a string of LED lights at home but I'm not sure if they'll be okay for the project because they're so brightly-white they have a blue tinge. Before I go through the effort of cable-tying these lights to a frame, wrapping the whole thing up in greaseproof paper, etc. etc. can anyone tell me if such intensely white lights are a good idea for a project like this?

If they're not, what would be better? Warm white lights, perhaps? Is it possible to have warm white lights that are too yellow?

Thanks in advance!
If you dont really want to spend anymore money, those should be fine. You can also adjust the white balance in the camera as well to match the lighting. if neither of those work and you are not happy with the color, you could always go pick up or order in some orange cellophane and put it in front of the bulbs to warm them up. however, I personally am more of a fan of the cooler lights, especially if you have a window lighting your room anyway. Natural daylight is usually a LOT cooler than the warm inside bulbs and it creates a hell of a time with mixed lighting. The only time you would really want warm bulbs if a window is also lighting your room would be at sunset lol.