incredibly long upload times?

Flintstone

Reaction score
i know this topic is all over the internet, but from what i'm seeing here they're asking why it takes 'up to 2 hours' to upload a video.

i've got a 1hr 17m, 1080p, 9.99Gb video here.. which i realize is relatively large, but it's going on 38 hours now. seems *too* long. it's always like this. is there something i can do? what is it doing exactly, converting it? can i convert for it? i'm just using mp4's... should i use another file type?

is there anything i can do on my end to help youtube/speed things up?

Flintstone

Reaction score
wow, ok, aaaand it finally got to the Processing stage and i got a "Invalid request, authentication expired." and now it's just sitting there doing nothing. thinking about ripping all of my hair out. this is absurd.

Flintstone

Reaction score
oooook, i guess it worked out?????? got to 95%, stuck forever, then it hits "publish", i click the thing, nothing happens. "check video details". then magically it worked, BUT.. only after i change the thumbnail because i got a "Unexpected end of JSON input" error aaaaand now i can't upload my custom thumb

uhhhhhhhh, yeah. youtube. having a blast. WOW.

i'm just amazed. stunned.

Dutchie Abroad

Exploring the world one video at a time!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
got to 95%, stuck forever, then it hits "publish", i click the thing, nothing happens. "check video details". then magically it worked,
This is a well know method to 'solve' the processing getting stuck on either 0% or 95%. Weird it gave an error after you tried to change the thumbnail though.

10 GB is really large for a video, so I'm not all that surprised it takes long to upload, but 38 hours is a bit excessive indeed. I didn't know that upload times up to 2 hours was considered a bug though, I just blamed in on my slow internet. I'm not really sure what to do about it though.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Moved to the recording / editing / production / software / hardware forum. :)

9Gb is huge. I'm not really surprised it took so long. It's more likely to be due to file size and your upload speed. Check your upload speed here: https://www.speedtest.net/ It could be your ISP throttling your speed. - THey won't like you uploading a 9 Gb file lol.

Flintstone

Reaction score
so we're encouraged to use 1080p, but.. we shouldn't? i don't get this "THey won't like you uploading a 9 Gb file lol"

yeah, .70 Mbps upload. not too good. CenturyLink is horrible overall so I guess I'll blame them.

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I have 11mbps upload and I feel like that is slow couldn't imagine 0.9. You can make your file size smaller that will help but I recomend buying better internet or asking a friend with better internet if you can use his/hers to upload it.