Inconsistency in manual review of videos

vatiwah

I've Got It
Reaction score
I am kinda puzzled, confused and frustrated with the inconsistency when it comes down to demonetization of a video and the manual review. I have no idea what is the baseline on what they view as acceptable.

I uploaded 2 videos, which were private. Both videos were demonetized pretty much immediately, so I submit it for manual review. The videos had no tags, description, no thumbnail uploaded and the title (which used the file name) was not controversial. The videos are reviews of mods for single player games like skyrim and fallout, which is allowed by the game developer/publisher. A video usually has 5 mods or so which usually consist of mods that changes how an object looks, a new spell or weapon, a follower NPC and at least one outfit mod. The outfit may or may not be on the skimpier side, but nothing that you would not see at a beach in Santa Monica or Long Beach. These days, I try to be careful and not zoom in or make the user of the outfit do any suggestive poses since adpocalypse. It is all my content and I use royalty free music by incompetech and argofox.

But anyways, Video A was manually reviewed (apparently by 1 person/view) and it was approved and remonetized within 24hours.. However, Video A had a lingerie outfit and I was using euphemisms to ask people to compare which does the outfit improves the most, the butt or bust.

Video B was manually reviewed (by 3 person/view) and it was confirmed by manual review that it was not ad friendly. I was puzzled because that video is more tame in sense that the outfit covered up more and I didn't make any crude jokes like in Video A.

Interestingly, I also had a Video C. I had a follower that had a skimpy outfit (heck one of the boob had a nipple cover as part of the outfit) and I can't really control what she originally wears. I also made a Bill Cosby pill joke. Video C was approved as well lol.

Maybe the reviewer of Video A and Video C was more chill and okay with it.. and the reviewers for Video B were ultra prudes or having a bad day?

You, as in the reader of this post, may or may not approve or like of the type of videos I do. I am aware of it, but for the sake of this post, let's just focus on the manual review process. The majority of what is in my video is not focused on the outfits, as the majority of the video are of the other mods. Heck, not all outfits are skimpy. Some are casual or something you would wear to a wedding.

The point I am trying to make is that I can't really figure out what youtube views as okay for ads. I built my channel from these videos and I have toned down on what might be the problem, but I cannot figure out where is the baseline as being okay. Of course, you could suggest I do other types of videos.. but imagine getting big from make-up videos and all of a sudden, you gotta do videos about accounting/taxes. Probably won't fly too well. Youtube was a great place 3-4 years ago as long as you were not too extreme, now any tiny thing can hinder and cost you =\.

Reactions: Poisonous Penguin

videoeditgr

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Of course, you could suggest I do other types of videos..
`
not really.
long story short, the exact same video with exact same title, desc. etc. have been once up and once down on Youtube.
Just keep doing whatever you like and feel is good for you and don't really care.

:)

vatiwah

I've Got It
Reaction score
An update. I uploaded 9 videos as a test. These videos have no tags, description, titles, custom thumbnails and were private. They are similar in style and content.

Out of 9 videos, all 9 got demonetized. I appealed all 9 and only 1 got appealed. I deleted the 8 that did not get appealed.

I reuploaded the 8 and all 8 got demonetized. I appealed all 8 and 3 was appealed. I deleted the 5 that did not get appealed.

I reuploaded the 5 and all 4 got demonetized. I appealed the 4 and 3 was appealed...

WTF???? I am sick and tired of the manual monetization. So if I didn't reupload multiple times, I would have been punished unjustly based on who got to review my video??

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
Sorry to get to this so late. The lack of titles, descriptions and tags were definitely a factor here; as no one, especially the algorithm, could tell what your videos were about. Also the main rule is that as Private videos have a tiny audience which is hand-selected by the uploader, and Unlisted videos cannot be found on a normal YouTube search, they are non-monetizable by default.

If you kept them private while appealing, I have no idea why any of your appeals were successful. I must not have read your cross-post to the other thread correctly.

vatiwah

I've Got It
Reaction score
Sorry to get to this so late. The lack of titles, descriptions and tags were definitely a factor here; as no one, especially the algorithm, could tell what your videos were about. Also the main rule is that as Private videos have a tiny audience which is hand-selected by the uploader, and Unlisted videos cannot be found on a normal YouTube search, they are non-monetizable by default.

If you kept them private while appealing, I have no idea why any of your appeals were successful. I must not have read your cross-post to the other thread correctly.
Yeah. The test videos were private and had no tags, they were automatically demonetized usually within 3minutes to 1hr. (I am either blacklisted or they were doing sporadic scannning of my video to find something wrong visually or by speech). But the appeals were eventually successful after deleting and reuploading the videos that were manually confirmed previously.

NOW... I have no idea what will happen to these videos that are now monetized. I do not know if youtube will re-evaluable my videos for monetization once I give them tags, descriptions, thumbnails and etc. I havn't tried it out yet, but I will probably try to do so when I get home.

At any rate, I am getting rdy to upload stuff onto my channel again and hope I have luck with these damn manual reviewers.

vatiwah

I've Got It
Reaction score
Good luck!
Well s**t.. I just got a strike for 2 videos I did in 2014 lol. The problem is those 2 videos are of similar content to what I do now.. wtf. Going to appeal it and if it fails to appeal, then most likely my channel will get terminated since I have 300+ videos of similar content. Hell, I could get more strikes tomorrow or the next day.

Back in the day, the worse I would get is an aged restriction and I had maybe 8-10 videos that were aged out of the 300. Heck, I had one video that got age restricted 4 times and I got it appealed every time so obviously most of my videos were fine for youtube moderators.

I was getting excited to restart my channel and upload content because I figured out that I can get monetized/remonetized as long as I reupload my video a few times until it got approved by a reasonable reviewer. Yeah, I will appeal it, but honestly, they keep surprising me with their black handish tactic of punishing old videos that didnt broke any rules back then.

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Have you got 2 channels of the same Name / Content? I see one channel with 69k Subs and one with 4.3k subs?

Anyway its not a suprise that on manual review your videos are deemed not friendly for all advertisers.

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
Well s**t.. I just got a strike for 2 videos I did in 2014 lol. The problem is those 2 videos are of similar content to what I do now.. wtf. Going to appeal it and if it fails to appeal, then most likely my channel will get terminated since I have 300+ videos of similar content. Hell, I could get more strikes tomorrow or the next day.

Back in the day, the worse I would get is an aged restriction and I had maybe 8-10 videos that were aged out of the 300. Heck, I had one video that got age restricted 4 times and I got it appealed every time so obviously most of my videos were fine for youtube moderators.

I was getting excited to restart my channel and upload content because I figured out that I can get monetized/remonetized as long as I reupload my video a few times until it got approved by a reasonable reviewer. Yeah, I will appeal it, but honestly, they keep surprising me with their black handish tactic of punishing old videos that didnt broke any rules back then.
Unfortunately as existing partner channels get reviewed for compliance with the new monetization rule set, more and more channels are getting both demonetized and terminated; due to the fact that YouTube is doing now what it should have done before.

What they are doing is really enforcing the YT TOS and Community Guidelines and have stopped letting people "slide". If you do get terminated and your appeal fails, just walk away and don't even try to use the remaining channel; they are also enforcing the rules that say a channel owner cannot have or operate any further channels once one is terminated. So the remaining channel will be terminated for being connected to a terminated user eventually.

Reactions: GameVestment

GameVestment

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
Unfortunately as existing partner channels get reviewed for compliance with the new monetization rule set, more and more channels are getting both demonetized and terminated; due to the fact that YouTube is doing now what it should have done before.

What they are doing is really enforcing the YT TOS and Community Guidelines and have stopped letting people "slide". If you do get terminated and your appeal fails, just walk away and don't even try to use the remaining channel; they are also enforcing the rules that say a channel owner cannot have or operate any further channels once one is terminated. So the remaining channel will be terminated for being connected to a terminated user eventually.
Let me ask you a question really quick whenever you have time, I believe you are the best person to answer it!

So a couple of days ago I got my first "Not suitable for most advertisers. Confirmed by Manual Review" Name of the video is: Join the Naked Burger Society in PUBG Mobile. It's supposed to be a funny video, like any other I uploaded... there's no nudity but the community call naked to those who aren't wearing clothes or don't have a weapon, we just added a Burger Hat and call it a Society.

Anyways, Youtube doesn't seem to like it and that's totally fine, their platform their rules. I don't want to be blacklisted or being affected in my next review for only one video. Do you think I should delete the video? It only has 640 views so it's whatever if I delete it, it didn't perform as expected. All my other videos are green, including my unlisted livestreams

I'm noticing YouTube is starting to be more strict and they are immediately closing some channels. If you don't have a following I believe you are pretty much done. Another active user from this forum got his channel terminated, from what I read... it was only because of one video. Is hard to believe it since his content was quite family friendly.

Another recent case is a 130K subs Rust Gamer YouTube CNDBlood. He showed private parts of his character by accident for like 2-3 second (Rust is a game where you start naked and he forgot to censor his character for a couple of seconds) . This usually makes the video Age Restricted but instead he received a strike, his second strike. Fans supported him and YouTube changed the strike to Age Restriction video. It seems that now the 100K subs channels are the small channels of the community and a lot of Gaming Channels will be affected by these rules enforced by YouTube. At least the developers of Rust replied and will make access to clothing faster and easier in order to help youtubers with demonetisation.