In-video annotations to disappear December 14th

babyteeth4

Taking over the world... ...one kid at a time!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I know this has been discussed earlier in the year, but the date is fast approaching. Cards and endscreens will remain, but in-video annotations are going to be discontinued altogether on December 14th.

This will mostly affect older channels that heavily used them, but YouTube says that people rarely clicked on them anyway. Still, it will be a little awkward having people in the videos pointing to links that aren't there any more.

More details here:
https://www.engadget.com/2017/11/13/youtube-ends-in-video-recommendation-pop-ups/

Purple Penguin

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thanks for the reminder. I am going to have to update the older videos with endscreens.

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It’s doesn’t really effect me because I only use cards and end screens, I sued annotations when I first started YouTube and that was 2 years ago, but I never really liked Annotations because it only showed up on desktop instead of mobile and most people watch YouTube on their mobile devices, so they won’t be able to see the annotations anyway.

Stike96

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I know this has been discussed earlier in the year, but the date is fast approaching. Cards and endscreens will remain, but in-video annotations are going to be discontinued altogether on December 14th.

This will mostly affect older channels that heavily used them, but YouTube says that people rarely clicked on them anyway. Still, it will be a little awkward having people in the videos pointing to links that aren't there any more.

More details here:
https://www.engadget.com/2017/11/13/youtube-ends-in-video-recommendation-pop-ups/
I actually just read the article after someone on Twitter pointed out how terribly written it was XD. It's actually featured videos that are going, not in-video annotation, but if EposVox didn't point it out on Twitter I would have thought it was annotations too.

Reactions: Crown

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
Compared to the card and endscreens they look so archaic. Like the web in 1998 or something. Glad they are gone. Just wish we could use endscreens anywhere in the video

Idec Sdawkminn

Horror Versions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Good. I hate it when a video overuses annotations and I have to disable them for the session. Personally, I don't use any of that fancy stuff. No cards, endscreens, annotations, intros, outros, or calls-to-action.

babyteeth4

Taking over the world... ...one kid at a time!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I actually just read the article after someone on Twitter pointed out how terribly written it was XD. It's actually featured videos that are going, not in-video annotation, but if EposVox didn't point it out on Twitter I would have thought it was annotations too.
Thanks for the clarification!

From Tubefilter:
You may not know in-video notifications by name, but if you’ve spent a lot of time on YouTube over the past few years, you’ve probably seen them. They’re small black bars that pop up in the middle of videos and direct viewers to external links. When clicked, they often lead to streaming sites like Twitch, YouNow, and MLG, in hopes of promoting live viewership.

Reactions: Stike96

just Moto

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Does that mean they remove all link type including TeeSpring and Promote another channel? I thought they scrapped annotations a long time ago, but any that were in current use would remain existing in older videos. Saw one in use a few days ago.

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Oh no! T_T That stinks. Thanks for letting us know! :) I'm not sure if I should edit my descriptions to include all the information I had in the annotations, or if I should just pin a comment to the top. My viewers heavily use them on some of my older videos. x_x

just Moto

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Oh no! T_T That stinks. Thanks for letting us know! :) I'm not sure if I should edit my descriptions to include all the information I had in the annotations, or if I should just pin a comment to the top. My viewers heavily use them on some of my older videos. x_x
Do both. I do and it works well.

You can go into your channel defaults and make a description template so you don't have to write it out every time. Then copy paste it to your pinned comments