In the past - was getting any type of comments / views easier?

GnarlyGator

Reaction score
I remember a channel that I started back in 2013. I've since stopped because I lost interest in the content and the views slowly faded. However, it reached over 50,000 subs and at the peak was bringing in thousands of views per video. When I started that channel it had people commenting on things within' the first few weeks. Oddly enough - the original videos were NOT what the channel was even about when it blew up, these were just me uploading videos of painting an xbox and things like that. Completely irrelevant to what was uploaded later on down the line. I remember being blown away at how quickly such a small little channel could be found even without adequate tags, titles, or thumbnails.

I decided to revisit youtube for fun and to create content that I enjoyed. It's well produced, high quality, and enjoyable to watch. I upload very VERY frequently and am not upset that I have not received much attention / comments / views, but it did make me wonder.

And again I'll say this - This is not a thread about me complaining at all, I think it's a good discussion. Did youtube used to be easier to tap into?

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
I remember a channel that I started back in 2013. I've since stopped because I lost interest in the content and the views slowly faded. However, it reached over 50,000 subs and at the peak was bringing in thousands of views per video. When I started that channel it had people commenting on things within' the first few weeks. Oddly enough - the original videos were NOT what the channel was even about when it blew up, these were just me uploading videos of painting an xbox and things like that. Completely irrelevant to what was uploaded later on down the line. I remember being blown away at how quickly such a small little channel could be found even without adequate tags, titles, or thumbnails.

I decided to revisit youtube for fun and to create content that I enjoyed. It's well produced, high quality, and enjoyable to watch. I upload very VERY frequently and am not upset that I have not received much attention / comments / views, but it did make me wonder.

And again I'll say this - This is not a thread about me complaining at all, I think it's a good discussion. Did youtube used to be easier to tap into?
Well there was less competition back then but there were also fewer viewers watching so I think it balances out. The most important thing is consistency, ie uploading regularly and doing it week in week out whether you feel like it or not. It's easy making videos but what is hard is doing it without fail every week.

How long have you been doing it this second time? If only a few weeks or even a few months, that's probably not enough time. Unfortunately it was a mistake for you to stop uploading on the first channel. Youtube likes consistency and the days of having one or two successful videos and not having to upload any more are long gone. :)

I would say what has changed recently is the rules and regulations surrounding what is deemed "appropriate" content and also the rules for monetization. Things like violence, guns, war, sex, repetitive content, slideshows with no commentary, copyrighted content, automated content, text to speech, how to get rich and lots of other stuff is a big no no now and YT is coming down hard on that sort of content due to bad press. My advice would be carefully read the terms of service for type of content and rules for monetization because a LOT has changed since 2013. :)

221 gt

Reaction score
Like the guy who responded before me said the fact that their is more competition now and most of the research keywords being already taken by bigger youtubers it makes it harder to get found if you’re a new youtuber. Plus a lot of people use youtube as an alternative to TV so they don’t necessarily be watching the same type of odd videos you wouldn’t find anywhere else back then nor are they necessarily looking to engange with the creator of the video they are watching. There are plenty more reasons but these are just a few ones