Improving scripts tips? Let's make them amazing...

Veecharlie

Reaction score
Here I am. I just made an account few hours ago and I am writing my first post asking for help. Ha!
How do you guys, especially those who have quite some subscribers, organize your amazing speeches?

I see many are improvised, especially in vlogs. But they are so smooth and perfect. I want to know how you guys reached such? Would love to learn from you!

Also... for those YouTube's who make perfect speeches in tutorials, reviews or anything else.. how do you guys do it?

I am using a script to guide myself and have an idea what to talk about... however I still have way too many cuts in my videos and way too many mistakes. It can take up to 3 hours making a spoken video for me.

Tips to improve this?

satiricals

I've Got It
Reaction score
Study lateral thinking.... be open to adlibbing

Come back to your script with a fresh set of eyes.

Exercising (long term & short term) is good for your mental health (not just physical). So Write a script, go on a walk, and come back prepared to ask yourself questions.

Switch caps with walking intermissions. Start off writer's cap.... walk when done... come back with a critic's cap.

Ask yourself, is there a more efficient way of writing this? How can I concisely spread the information I want to spread without it being so wordy or so much like a tongue twister?

With enough writing and finding a niche you really want to do, you'll eventually hit your groove. But like mastering anything, you got to put the time into it.

Reactions: Lightsen

ammoburger

Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Perfect speechwriter here,

For my videos I write short scripts most of the time because I like to have a clearly thought out idea, while occasionally I'll use just bullet points to help remind me of points I'd like to hit. I have a background in acting and improv and I believe that has helped me a lot in terms of reading from a script and making it feel somewhat organic (if you don't have any experience in acting I think it could be useful to a lot of Youtubers). In regards to you using too many takes or cuts, I do usually a few takes in Adobe Audition, then go through and edit the file (in Audition) until it's to my liking then import it into Premier. ---- To reduce the length of videos I would recommend making cuts in the writing process and try to eliminate times where you make the same point more than once, or any similar situation that could be remedied by trimming it down. I wish you luck!

satiricals

I've Got It
Reaction score
Perfect speechwriter here,

For my videos I write short scripts most of the time because I like to have a clearly thought out idea, while occasionally I'll use just bullet points to help remind me of points I'd like to hit. I have a background in acting and improv and I believe that has helped me a lot in terms of reading from a script and making it feel somewhat organic (if you don't have any experience in acting I think it could be useful to a lot of Youtubers). In regards to you using too many takes or cuts, I do usually a few takes in Adobe Audition, then go through and edit the file (in Audition) until it's to my liking then import it into Premier. ---- To reduce the length of videos I would recommend making cuts in the writing process and try to eliminate times where you make the same point more than once, or any similar situation that could be remedied by trimming it down. I wish you luck!
Improv is a good activity that relies on lateral thinking.

I've taken acting at community college (professor who ran the theatre) then later again at film school.

I remember at film school the professor (who had tv acting background rather than running theatre) had this exercise where one person was going off the script but the other person he had ad libbing random shiet.

It was to make a point that acting has to do with going off each other rather than reading what was just written.

Memorizing what was written is truly necessary to act off one another. I agree though, people who take youtube seriously should take an acting class or two. At least something entry level at a jr/community college.

Finding an improv group is a great way to be a creative thinker (lateral thinking is about finding creative solutions; google it if ya want)

Reactions: Veecharlie

Nikki120113

YTTalk's Cookie Pizza
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Other
Keep practicing. Have whatever you're going to say infront of you but obviously out of sight when you film (if its not a vlog that is). If you ramble it's best to write things down in dot points instead of sentences so you don't have to cut so much random rubbish out.

I always do a whole brain storm & script when doing my video's. It has all my camera angle/shots ideas, where i'm filming it, how etc. & what i'm going to say in dot points cos i tend to ramble haha[DOUBLEPOST=1510482760,1510482725][/DOUBLEPOST]Keep practicing. Have whatever you're going to say infront of you but obviously out of sight when you film (if its not a vlog that is). If you ramble it's best to write things down in dot points instead of sentences so you don't have to cut so much random rubbish out.

I always do a whole brain storm & script when doing my video's. It has all my camera angle/shots ideas, where i'm filming it, how etc. & what i'm going to say in dot points cos i tend to ramble haha

satiricals

I've Got It
Reaction score
Keep practicing. Have whatever you're going to say infront of you but obviously out of sight when you film (if its not a vlog that is). If you ramble it's best to write things down in dot points instead of sentences so you don't have to cut so much random rubbish out.

I always do a whole brain storm & script when doing my video's. It has all my camera angle/shots ideas, where i'm filming it, how etc. & what i'm going to say in dot points cos i tend to ramble haha[DOUBLEPOST=1510482760,1510482725][/DOUBLEPOST]Keep practicing. Have whatever you're going to say infront of you but obviously out of sight when you film (if its not a vlog that is). If you ramble it's best to write things down in dot points instead of sentences so you don't have to cut so much random rubbish out.

I always do a whole brain storm & script when doing my video's. It has all my camera angle/shots ideas, where i'm filming it, how etc. & what i'm going to say in dot points cos i tend to ramble haha

So you story board your videos and have your locations down, etc. Did you study pre production at all? Class? Website (like "NoFilmSchool")?

Nikki120113

YTTalk's Cookie Pizza
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Other
So you story board your videos and have your locations down, etc. Did you study pre production at all? Class? Website (like "NoFilmSchool")?
Pretty much just without the drawings haha. No i didn't study anything to do with film at all, my study background is plainly mental health/psychology based. So safe to stay I didn't learn anything on how to do my youtube vids/scripts in class :)

Lightsen

Animation Yey!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
I would say keep everything really open ended. I don't write speeches, but from my experience in animation, I might have a script written down, then storyboard but the final animation ends up a little different, with lots of room for change and additions as I animate through it.

You want to get across what you want to say more naturally, and memorising scripts will only make you sound more robotic (trust me, that's what happens every time I want to make a small speech in any video, I sound awful haha)