Images of football players copyright issues?

footyman19

Reaction score
Hello All

I am very new to the world of youtube and I have just made a channel to run alongside my website about football. I am wanting to do videos that discuss the big issues in football on a weekly basis and other daily videos. To do this I was wanting to use images of players and managers etc with me discussing football with me providing a voice over. I have seen many channels that use images of players and I was wondering if this is a copyright infringement. I am looking to monetize the channel however I have nothing to sell on the website it's mainly to be used as a forum. Am I likely to run into problems with copyright using images of footballers? Would this be considered fair use as I am discussing the topic of football?

Thank you for reading and I hope to hear peoples opinions on this. I am UK based if this is of any significance.

Thanks

Shakycow

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
Did you take the footage of the players yourself, in a place you were allowed to, and with the player signing a model release?
If so, congratulations.
If you didn't - yes, it's infringement.

Reactions: markkaz

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Here is a tip for a good source of celebrity photos (and any photo for that matter) which you can use for free so long as you give credit in the description. - Wikipedia. Do a search on Wikipedia for a celebrity, click on the article and then click on a photo that you like. That will take you to a page with all the license information. If it's creative commons or public domain you may use it so long as you give full credit (see below)

Example:

1) Go to wikipedia and search for "Felicity Jones." (British actress) and click on her page -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felicity_Jones
2) As you can see, there are 3 photos of her on that page. Let's click on the first one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felicity_Jones#/media/File:Felicity_Jones_December_2016.jpg
3) On that photo page, click on the blue "more details" button at the bottom of the page. It will take you to the page with all the license info for the photo: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Felicity_Jones_December_2016.jpg

4)On the license info page, click on "use this file on the web" and it will give you all the license info and how to give credit. YOU MUST PUT THE CREDIT EXACTLY AS WRITTEN THERE IN THE DESCRIPTION OF YOUR VIDEO! Example for this image, you would put:

"Felicity Jones December 2016" By D ick Thomas Johnson from Tokyo, Japan [CC BY 2.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons

Reactions: footyman19

footyman19

Reaction score
Thank you very much for all the replies I was away yesterday for my birthday. I didn't know that you couldn't be monetized for having images and a voice over? I think the cc stuff is very useful. Maybe I will have to record myself to make it a video with the images in the background perhaps? I didn't know that was a rule to be honest

footyman19

Reaction score
@Crown

User still will be denied monetization; and if you check his OP carefully, you will see that is the goal.
I didn't know this. Is there a workaround for this like producing a moving video on Fiverr or something and talking over it? Or is it best to just record me talking and pop an image up under cc for a few seconds to emphasise a point? Sorry for the questions I can only find conflicting answers on google

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
Creative Commons content is also being disallowed for monetization. It appears that YouTube now wants to see that nearly 100% of your content is your own; and that you are doing actual videos, not slideshows. In the case of celebrity images, you will also need the footballer(s) in question to sign a Model Release, granting you both publicity rights, and commercial use rights, or the right to make money from the content.

footyman19

Reaction score
Creative Commons content is also being disallowed for monetization. It appears that YouTube now wants to see that nearly 100% of your content is your own; and that you are doing actual videos, not slideshows. In the case of celebrity images, you will also need the footballer(s) in question to sign a Model Release, granting you both publicity rights, and commercial use rights, or the right to make money from the content.

Ok, that's certainly going to make things more difficult. But thank you very much for letting me know its much appreciated. Google has so many conflicting reports you see. I will have a go using my camera of me talking I can't imagine it will be as successful but I guess it will be safe. Thank you