Images of famous people - model release

Quick Question

Questions Answer Everything
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
A lot of the times even if you filter the Google search you might be filtering pictures that are public domain. I would find a pic that works and see the source of that image, a lot of times you can't tell its public domain until you go on that page. I sometimes use a lot of pictures for my videos and I just do this step to find good pictures.

Ein Buch in 7 Minuten

Reaction score
I spent the last days looking into that topic and its actually really complicated. Generally a lot of big youtubers are breaking copyright and privacy rules regularly.
I actually mailed a few of them and they always responded something along the line "yea i know im breaking rules here but i think the chance of someone complaining is really low".

Normally you can show politicians and celebrities, as well as company logos, but the more your channel gets commercial, the bigger problem it is.

For example you could show donald trump for news without his constent. You can obviously not use him to promote your product directly without his consent. The problem is in between that. Where do you draw the line? What if your videos are news-related but you sell your own product in the video description or at the end of the video?

Since i want to be safe i will probably avoid showing any celebrities or company logos in the future and just review books that dont draw on celeb and company examples. Just the plain ideas.
I think thats the safest route.

Last edited:

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
I spent the last days looking into that topic and its actually really complicated. Generally a lot of big youtubers are breaking copyright and privacy rules regularly.
I actually mailed a few of them and they always responded something along the line "yea i know im breaking rules here but i think the chance of someone complaining is really low".

Normally you can show politicians and celebrities, as well as company logos, but the more your channel gets commercial, the bigger problem it is.

For example you could show donald trump for news without his constent. You can obviously not use him to promote your product directly without his consent. The problem is in between that. Where do you draw the line? What if your videos are news-related but you sell your own product in the video description or at the end of the video?

Since i want to be safe i will probably avoid showing any celebrities or company logos in the future and just review books that dont draw on celeb and company examples. Just the plain ideas.
I think thats the safest route.
This mass of complication was why I said you needed an IP lawyer; but you have decided to take the safest road in any case.

Good luck with your channel!