I'm scared I'll end up like this!

adams eats

I Love YTtalk
I've noticed that some of the big cooking channels are dying. Most noticeably epic meal time. They are losing subscribers and social blade predicts a backwards spiral in subscribers and views over the next 5 years. I've also seen Nicko's Kitchen take a huge loss in views over the last year, but I don't get why. Both seem to produce great content.

On the flip side though Jamie Olivers channel is doing very well and a few others are growing. What do you think the difference is between them?

I hope I don't end up down that road..

Maybe youtube's algorythm screwed their channels? It's all about adapting the new trending things! Try different things out, and see what works best

Maybe youtube's algorythm screwed their channels? It's all about adapting the new trending things! Try different things out, and see what works best
Good point. I think watch time might have had a part in epic meal times fall in views.

I am an EMT sub and still watch all uploads (+Harleys Vlog Channel) and its sad to see the decline.
I think the videos are bigger and better than ever but I guess all channels have an eventual shelf life? In Harleys case he started up side channels to help bring home the Bacon? (Excuse the pun)

I am an EMT sub and still watch all uploads (+Harleys Vlog Channel) and its sad to see the decline.
I think the videos are bigger and better than ever but I guess all channels have an eventual shelf life? In Harleys case he started up side channels to help bring home the Bacon? (Excuse the pun)
Thats true. And I'm sure he's made enough money to start other projects. But I also think that his outlay must be really high buying all that food plus the amount of staff on the payroll

It's interesting, how YouTube series/channels are expected to go on indefinitely without any significant changes, while more mainstream media (like television shows) have a very easy-to-predict shelf life and get revamped and replaced on a regular basis.

I think most channels are going to see popularity on some sort of bell curve. You'll gain either quickly or slowly, then reach a peak level, then drop off (mostly slowly, but there can be events where things happen faster). The fact that this is happening with larger channels doesn't seem like an anomaly to me, especially on YouTube.

The average YouTube viewer remains fairly young, and as the fan base for a channel ages, they're going to become interested in other things, and move away from their interests from before. Even an older viewership eventually finds the same material stale (even if there are some changes to format, you can only watch what's essentially the same content for so long before wanting something different). Channels can either adapt and make changes, which comes with risks but also possible benefits, or they will decline. It's pretty much the way with all media.

Now, for a platform, it's yet to be determined if YouTube itself is something that can be sustained through several more decades, or if something else will come along and disrupt the video sharing space and make YouTube obsolete. There's no telling what the future holds, except change.

I think they kind of ran out of ideas and there is also more competition. When they started, they practically owned the niche and a lot of their stuff went viral. Now there's more competition. They're still pumping out a lot of videos though.

There's lots of great cooking channels that are coming up now. You Suck At Cooking and Binging With Babish come to mind. They produce extremely high quality and often funny content that is growing very rapidly.

I feel like EMT really didn't evolve with the space, and they really diluted their brand with side videos like the "handle it" series just to get that extra bit of adsense. Also, their shtick gets exhausting. It was funny when they first came out but really how many times can you just put bacon on absurdly decadent meals before people get bored? I stopped watching that channel years ago. I hope Harley has a lot of savings banked up...

But to your point, no, there's no guarantee your channel will fall off if you keep innovating and evolving with the space. Maybe you should worry about that when you actually have millions of subs, though :)

It's interesting, how YouTube series/channels are expected to go on indefinitely without any significant changes, while more mainstream media (like television shows) have a very easy-to-predict shelf life and get revamped and replaced on a regular basis.

I think most channels are going to see popularity on some sort of bell curve. You'll gain either quickly or slowly, then reach a peak level, then drop off (mostly slowly, but there can be events where things happen faster). The fact that this is happening with larger channels doesn't seem like an anomaly to me, especially on YouTube.

The average YouTube viewer remains fairly young, and as the fan base for a channel ages, they're going to become interested in other things, and move away from their interests from before. Even an older viewership eventually finds the same material stale (even if there are some changes to format, you can only watch what's essentially the same content for so long before wanting something different). Channels can either adapt and make changes, which comes with risks but also possible benefits, or they will decline. It's pretty much the way with all media.

Now, for a platform, it's yet to be determined if YouTube itself is something that can be sustained through several more decades, or if something else will come along and disrupt the video sharing space and make YouTube obsolete. There's no telling what the future holds, except change.
Very thought provoking! I loved reading that ☺ also means I gotta keep on my toes

Back