I'm just curious about money

Flintstone

Reaction score
call me crazy but i'm wondering what it takes to make a 'living' on youtube

according to what i've gathered, the people with 20 million subscribers.. the big names.. are making around a $million a month????

ok, so.. the math is this.. 20m=$1m/mo *.001 = 20k subs = $1k/mo

is that reality though? it's hard to believe all of those 20k channels are making a thousand a month, but maybe it's plausible?

is it realistic to expect around $2k a month if i have let's say 50,000 subs that's the big question

i know it's not based on sub #'s, but all of this is just ballpark rough numbers.........

and i know, money isn't something we talk about, and it's not about that, and yup yup yup.. i know. i'm just curious. :D

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
The number of subs does not determine your average revenue. In fact there are many factors (Niche/where your views come from/length of video and how many ads per video etc).
As a general rule - Consider $1 per 1000 views but this can also sway wildly.
Here is a true example of 2 of my channels
Channel 1 - 177'000 subscribers - February revenue $1487 from 1.3 million views - Average $1.14 per 1000 views
Channel 2 - 10'000 subscribers - February revenue $722 from 310 thousand views - Average $2.34 per 1000 views
As views increase I experiance smaller average per 1000 views.

Flintstone

Reaction score
nice. real data. thank you.

'i know it's not based on sub #'s, but all of this is just ballpark rough numbers......... "
i know there are a ton of variables here..........................

let's just say i wanted to pay my $60/mo internet bill and that was my entire goal. to get $60 a month from youtube.

what kind of subs/views/minutes should i be aiming for. in a super general, ballpark kind of way ? ? ?

it'd be fun, that's all

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
what kind of subs/views/minutes should i be aiming for. in a super general, ballpark kind of way ? ? ?

The question was answered by @EVO above:

Consider $1 per 1000 views
So taking that formula, to earn $60, you'd need a ballpark figure of 60,000 views. Ignore subs, they are irrelevant.

Your biggest hurdle would be getting a new channel approved for monetization. YouTube is now very strict on who they allow to earn money on YouTube. Your second challenge would be to grow your channel. 60k views per month (2k per day) doesn't sound much but it's a lot easier said than done. :)

Reactions: EVO and KatyAdelson