Illegal to spam your video links?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unknownuser005

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was talking to a friend and this interesting topic came up about promoting youtube videos, since I am trying to find new ways to promote and blah blah. He said I could find tons of places on the internet with a simple google search that offer free e-mail addresses. This is obviously how spammers get their lists of e-mail addresses I'm guessing? Similar to this site:

http://free-email-database.blogspot.com/2008/12/welcome-to-free-e-mail-database.html

After some research, I couldn't find anything that says it is ILLEGAL or against the youtube rules or anything. Personally I don't think I could bring myself to doing something like this, as I HATE spam e-mail! But my question is, would this be ILLEGAL or against the youtube rules, which I am assuming it is.

JTAphotographs

Ask me anything. ANYTHING! o_O
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Reviewer, Designer, Cartoonist
so its you thats been sending me all these video links huh? ;D LOL
--- merged: Mar 26, 2012 6:35 PM ---
But seriously, I've never heard about any of it being illegal. I guess when people sign up for newsletters at companies to be emailed to them there is a tick box saying "receive emails from other customers"; this is most likely companies that pay to get peoples emails for this spamming of links and merchandise :/

Unknownuser005

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
so its you thats been sending me all these video links huh? ;D LOL
--- merged: Mar 26, 2012 6:35 PM ---
But seriously, I've never heard about any of it being illegal. I guess when people sign up for newsletters at companies to be emailed to them there is a tick box saying "receive emails from other customers"; this is most likely companies that pay to get peoples emails for this spamming of links and merchandise :/
Uh... Uhm.. I dont know what your talking about :confused: :p...

Yeah I think that is what they do. Some companies also sell e-mail addresses to spammers. And I also read up that spammers go around all over the web and just take down e-mail addresses from public chat rooms and forums etc and then sell them to other spammers. ... What was your e-mail address again?...

Lol na im kidding, I'm not a spammer ^^

Reactions: zzTIMEWELLSPENTzz

JTAphotographs

Reaction score
Channel Type
Uh... Uhm.. I dont know what your talking about :confused: :p...

Yeah I think that is what they do. Some companies also sell e-mail addresses to spammers. And I also read up that spammers go around all over the web and just take down e-mail addresses from public chat rooms and forums etc and then sell them to other spammers. ... What was your e-mail address again?...

Lol na im kidding, I'm not a spammer ^^
Its why i always un-tick the 'receiving emails from other companies' - I hate spam! :mad:

Reactions: Miki von Ketelhodt

Symph

I'm a dude with a face and I know how to use it.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Musician, Vlogger, Comedian, Gamer
I would highly recommend not doing that unless you just have no personality and people skills whatsoever at all. And if you DON'T have those things? What the heck are you doing vlogging? Because you don't have to annoy random people, you can comment on videos, look at other comments and find people who are saying what you like and engage them, then add THEM as contacts, you can respond to YOUR spam, and you can use FB to get a friend chain going, you can watch related videos to find channels you like that do similar things to yours and then contacting them telling them what you like about their channel, I mean.... you don't have to just find random people and e-mail them.... that's just kind of weak.

Unknownuser005

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Its why i always un-tick the 'receiving emails from other companies' - I hate spam! :mad:
Yeah true I also don't tick those, unless it is companies like Apple or something big that I am interested in, mainly for THEIR newsletters, which is what I get.

JTAphotographs

Reaction score
Channel Type
Yeah true I also don't tick those, unless it is companies like Apple or something big that I am interested in, mainly for THEIR newsletters, which is what I get.
Yeh, only tick if you trust the company :) and, I mean, who doesn't trust Apple?

Unknownuser005

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
I would highly recommend not doing that unless you just have no personality and people skills whatsoever at all. And if you DON'T have those things? What the heck are you doing vlogging? Because you don't have to annoy random people, you can comment on videos, look at other comments and find people who are saying what you like and engage them, then add THEM as contacts, you can respond to YOUR spam, and you can use FB to get a friend chain going, you can watch related videos to find channels you like that do similar things to yours and then contacting them telling them what you like about their channel, I mean.... you don't have to just find random people and e-mail them.... that's just kind of weak.
Yeah totally agree! All of that aside though I think youtube wouldn't allow this would they? Or at least for people going for partnership, which is what most people are going for! :)
--- merged: Mar 26, 2012 6:47 PM ---
Yeh, only tick if you trust the company :) and, I mean, who doesn't trust Apple?
Unless your a super paranoid person xD.

Reactions: zzTIMEWELLSPENTzz

Vevcom

Reaction score
Very true, some mailing lists end up in the hands of spammers, then are used to bombard you with requests. On you tube, not sure whether illegal, though i am sure they guard against such.

Th3StuffShow

YTtalk Monster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
First of all, have fun with YouTubing, and be patient. Then be active, be fun, be interesting, be yourself, and views and subs will come with time. That is atleast how I'm trying to go about this whole YouTube thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.