If you want your channel critiqued, let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grizzly Guernsey Gamer

The Grizzliest Gamer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hey guys!

I've done a lot of YouTube critique over the last couple years and usually people are happy with my advice on their channels. I tend to not only look at the videos in question but also channel layout, thumbnails and editing in order to push people in the right direction.

So if you want your channel critiqued please reply with a link to a specific video (or 2 if you do drastically different stuff). If I need more context I'll check some of your other content out but I'd like to see what you consider your best work as a starting point.

After doing some video analysis I'll also check your channel layout, thumbnails and social media to get an idea of your internet dealings and then post here when I've finished.

(NOTE: I'm best at reviewing Gaming channels but I don't mind what you post. Just bear in mind my feedback may be a bit more general for other formats)

Cheers guys, looking forward to your submissions =D

ehmaysi

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Sure, I'll gladly take some feedback, appreciate it dude. Most of my videos are similarly styled, so you can check out any of them. The one featured on my channel was good, that'd be a nice representation. Much love

Jorpheus

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I wouldnt mind some feedback on my channel! I'd appreciate that!

Bralon

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
cool beans man, I would love a critical eye on my channel, I would really appreciate it.

Grizzly Guernsey Gamer

The Grizzliest Gamer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Sure, I'll gladly take some feedback, appreciate it dude. Most of my videos are similarly styled, so you can check out any of them. The one featured on my channel was good, that'd be a nice representation. Much love
Okay so I watched 'Good Night Airplane' & 'Three Lines' and I thought they were really well put together! You've done well with uploads this last month so if you can keep up the pace then you'll do great.

I'm divided on my opinion of the thumbnails. They look very clean and well put together but they're very vague as to what the video's about. To me they look like some kind of music video from a pop band or some such rather than something using Video Game footage, and with little context in the title or description.

I'd also add more to the 'About' page so that curious viewers can tell what you're up to in terms of content.

Other than that keep up the good work =][DOUBLEPOST=1456775220,1456774644][/DOUBLEPOST]
I wouldnt mind some feedback on my channel! I'd appreciate that!
Your channel's pretty new and I like the fact you're doing a few videos a week.

I jumped onto your 'FOUND THE STALKERS HOUSE' and a few seconds in there was a pause and then a rather deflated 'Helloo......we're back playing Firewatch. *Sigh*'. As an opener this makes me feel like you're tired on almost making yourself play the game/record.

The whole video could use a bit more energy and there were a lot of silences. As a rule of thumb Let's Players need to keep engaging with the viewer through dialogue and if there are big pauses or lack of enjoyment of the game people aren't gunna stick around. I'd suggest either using jump-cuts to cut down the silences or try to add more commentary.

The thumbnails are a good start but I'd suggest taking the 'Episode' out of the 'Episode #9' etc to give the image more room. People are gunna' know what you mean if you put just #9 and you could use the extra space to put the title of the game.

I also watched your Ronaldo video and again it took a while to get going. We hear some sniffling, pauses and again a tired sounding feel to it. If you don't feel like recording don't force yourself to make a video, you won't have much fun.

Overall I'd recommend starting off a bit slower, maybe 3 videos a week and spend more time on each video. I used to do 2 LP's a day and although you'll improve your editing and commentary the more you do you don't want to burn out just when you're getting the hang of it =]

Jorpheus

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Okay so I watched 'Good Night Airplane' & 'Three Lines' and I thought they were really well put together! You've done well with uploads this last month so if you can keep up the pace then you'll do great.

I'm divided on my opinion of the thumbnails. They look very clean and well put together but they're very vague as to what the video's about. To me they look like some kind of music video from a pop band or some such rather than something using Video Game footage, and with little context in the title or description.

I'd also add more to the 'About' page so that curious viewers can tell what you're up to in terms of content.

Other than that keep up the good work =][DOUBLEPOST=1456775220,1456774644][/DOUBLEPOST]

Your channel's pretty new and I like the fact you're doing a few videos a week.

I jumped onto your 'FOUND THE STALKERS HOUSE' and a few seconds in there was a pause and then a rather deflated 'Helloo......we're back playing Firewatch. *Sigh*'. As an opener this makes me feel like you're tired on almost making yourself play the game/record.

The whole video could use a bit more energy and there were a lot of silences. As a rule of thumb Let's Players need to keep engaging with the viewer through dialogue and if there are big pauses or lack of enjoyment of the game people aren't gunna stick around. I'd suggest either using jump-cuts to cut down the silences or try to add more commentary.

The thumbnails are a good start but I'd suggest taking the 'Episode' out of the 'Episode #9' etc to give the image more room. People are gunna' know what you mean if you put just #9 and you could use the extra space to put the title of the game.

I also watched your Ronaldo video and again it took a while to get going. We hear some sniffling, pauses and again a tired sounding feel to it. If you don't feel like recording don't force yourself to make a video, you won't have much fun.

Overall I'd recommend starting off a bit slower, maybe 3 videos a week and spend more time on each video. I used to do 2 LP's a day and although you'll improve your editing and commentary the more you do you don't want to burn out just when you're getting the hang of it =]
Thanks for that! I'll try take everything on board!

Grizzly Guernsey Gamer

The Grizzliest Gamer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
cool beans man, I would love a critical eye on my channel, I would really appreciate it.
Okay so the first vid I watched was '(Top 5) Why being an adult is terrible'. First thing I noticed is the audio, it's not bad but if you can get a better mic (like a blue snowball/yeti) and work on compressing it to an equal level and normalising on Audacity you'll be a lot clearer.

The music/commentary mix is slightly unbalanced. It's very minor but if you bumped your voice slightly higher than the music I think it'd be better.

The Title's good but It's not got much consistency with your other videos. For example with the video '(Top 5) Why being an adult is terrible' I'd suggest making it a bit more categorised. What I mean by this is something like:

WHY BEING AN ADULT IS TERRIBLE! | Top 5

or

5 Reasons Why Being an Adult is Terrible

This type of phrasing helps viewers digest the information. Like with the first example they see what the video is about, and then it's separated by the format you'll be using. It's also then really easy to see how it fits in with your others series.

Also where is the description!?!?!? XD I've checked some of your tags on the Source Code but if you neglect the description you'll miss out on SEO.

I like your use of colour on the thumbnails but your face/body imposed on the top is a little faded. I'd advise bumping up the contrast a bit so it really pops!

Also your uploads are a bit sporadic. If possible try pick a day to upload and maybe do 1 video a week. Then your subs know when you'll be uploading and when they need to re-visit your channel.

Hope this helps man ;)

Agufish

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I'm not a gaming channel, but it'd be interesting to see what kind of feedback you have for me. I do guitar gear demos and acoustic instrumental covers :)

Gear Demo:

Acoustic Cover:

Grizzly Guernsey Gamer

The Grizzliest Gamer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I'm not a gaming channel, but it'd be interesting to see what kind of feedback you have for me. I do guitar gear demos and acoustic instrumental covers :)

Gear Demo:

Acoustic Cover:
Lucky for you I'm a guitarist XD

Starting with the gear demo it's really well done! It's got a lot of show don't tell to it (which is great) and the AV quality is top notch. A nice feature I'd love to see is a sub-camera you playing (hands/guitar) during your demo of messing with the switches etc so I adds more context to it all.

Very informative in the delivery at the end and the panning shots worked great. Overall A+ =p

On the song again the AV quality is perfect and it's a great song. Not much to say here other than well done.

Lastly as far as the visuals of your channel it's easy to navigate but I have a bit of trouble differentiating the different types of videos. There's a lot of text going on and the colour pallet isn't uniform so it's difficult to tell what's a song and what's a demo video.

I'd suggest with the demo videos you don't have yourself on the left so we can just see the pedal, then when it's a cover it's more obvious due to you playing on the thumbnail.

Also with the titles like I often say I'd advise stating the series at the end. Maybe even capitalise part of the title you want to stand out then go into lower case for the context.

Reactions: Agufish

Mexiguin

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hi! I'd appreciate any constructive criticism on my channel. I recently started (revamped from my older stuff) at the beginning of the month and am starting to get into a routine/schedule of what I want with it but any comments are appreciated. I feel like my first few videos were a bit slow to start with me getting comfortable but I'm starting to get there. Thanks for taking the time :)

Status
Not open for further replies.