If you had to start all the way over on YouTube what would be ONE thing you would change?

@Samiphany - Hello - Not sure why you have bumped a 2 year old thread? In the future, please don't bump old threads because it's very confusing when people start quoting / replying to people who are no longer active here. thanks

We'll keep this one open but posters be aware that this is a 2 year old thread and the thread starter and many others are no longer active.

@Samiphany - Hello - Not sure why you have bumped a 2 year old thread? In the future, please don't bump old threads because it's very confusing when people start quoting / replying to people who are no longer active here. thanks

We'll keep this one open but posters be aware that this is a 2 year old thread and the thread starter and many others are no longer active.

It may be 2 yrs old, but it is as relevant as ever :)

Ahhh, if I knew then what I know now....

Here's the naive idealistic answer - tell wonderful stories, learn much more video craft, encourage more of our friends to join the platform and give it their all and their best, tell everyone how wonderful and magical Yt is (brings goosebumps to me even now)...

Here's what I'd really do - milk the f****r for all it's worth, get deleted on Dec '17 like everyone but walk away with $5M, invest in my own businesses, control my own destiny, not be a pony to Susan, and life would go on. My biggest regret is not jumping full force on the trends that Youtube told us to jump on, that it promoted through suggested and in countless conference calls, and then decided to destroy everyone who was doing what we were instructed to do by our partner managers "find your best videos, make more, look at other successful channels, see if you can do your own take on it". That's what I would do, exactly what they said to do, copy Toy Freaks and Vlad and ToysToSee and make $200k-500k/month, and bounce.

Now the thread can be locked ;)

I wish I would have discovered/been told about discord sooner. I also wish I would have uploaded my own drawings sooner. Other than those two drawbacks, I really don't have that many regrets. Live and learn and all that.

nevermind: obviously only certain people are allowed to have a voice and if I clarify my point It gets deleted so here's to this....

Last edited:
Ha ha, exactly! I don't regret doing what we did, I regret not pushing myself harder while we had the chance, so that we had more money to fall back on when they decided to demonetize all of our channels (even the completely innocent ones) at the same time. Two months without an income. Two months with next to no communication. Two months where we are begging to be told what our fate is. I think it would have been much kinder to just delete all the channels they completely demonetized. At least then you would know immediately that you had to start over from scratch, instead of working blindly towards a hope that may soon be crushed regardless.

Ye... I think for all practical purposes, making a living and doing Yt full-time is finished for kids channels. Except a handful of well connected, fall-in-line no questions asked operators, most of us will not recover. And even if we are remonetized, you've got 10,000 minions with their finger on the yellow button ready to demonetize videos. aAnd how many demonetized videos will it take to get a strike and lose channel wide? We don't know and they won't tell us - 1 in 5, 1 in 10, 1 per week, 1 per fortnight? Even if we work our asses off on new channels for 6 months building to any sort of livable income, it's only a few keystrokes away from being taken away by Susan's minions with no warning, no chance to appeal, nothing. It's the most unprofessional organization and unethical business practices I have ever worked with in my 25 years in IT.

Not sure your personal situation, but there are many opportunities for other income online if you want to stay online self employed. If you want hit me up in PM and we can discuss.

@KiddieToysReview - Please stop derailing this (and other threads around the place) into ranting about the kiddies channels stuff. It was discussed to death here for 30+ pages The kiddies stuff is old news. Contact YouTube support to report your issues and take out your frustrations with them but stop polluting this forum.

I totally agree with the comments about starting 7 years ago! :D

I wished I had started promoting via social media earlier, not 3 months after I started my channel. Oh well, better late than never.

Back