If You Choose To Deliberately Use Copyright Media On YouTube

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
There is a new demonetization move being made by YouTube in the wake of the new rules. If you use copyright media and simply choose to accept any claims made against your videos, you need to be aware of this new move. It is indeed briefly stated in the YouTube Help section, but until now has never been broadly enforced.

YouTube is now sending out emails declaring channels which consist largely of copyright media ineligible for monetization. There are two forms these emails take: one will allow the channel owner to reapply to the YouTube Partner Program once 30 days have passed, and is accompanied by a change to the Monetization channel Feature Box which states "This channel is currently ineligible for monetization. Learn More". The second one will say that the owner is being disabled for "repeated submission of ineligible material and/or insufficient documentation"; and is accompanied by a change to the Monetization Feature Box which states the same, and will not allow the channel owner to reapply to the YPP with that channel.

In addition, channels consisting largely of copyright media are showing up with the following Monetization Feature Box Statment: "Monetization has been disabled on this channel due to Adsense Policy Violation", though that statement may also appear for other reasons. People seem to forget that attempted monetization of third party copyright media, without proper licensing and obtaining Commercial Use Rights violates Adsense Policy as well as YouTube Partner Program Policy.

In closing, I just want to warn all here that using copyright music or video and hoping to get away with just a CID claim is no longer the safest road if you want to retain your YouTube Monetization.

Last edited:

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
There is a new demonetization move being made by YouTube in the wake of the new rules. If you use copyright media and simply choose to accept any claims made against your videos, you need to be aware of this new move. It is indeed briefly stated in the YouTube Help section, but until now has never been broadly enforced.

YouTube is now sending out emails declaring channels which consist largely of copyright media ineligible for monetization. There are two forms these emails take: one will allow the channel owner to reapply to the YouTube Partner Program once 30 days have passed, and is accompanied by a change to the Monetization channel Feature Box which states "The channel is currently ineligible for monetization. Learn More". The second one will say that the owner is being disabled for "repeated submission of ineligible material and/or insufficient documentation"; and is accompanied by a change to the Monetization Feature Box which states the same, and will not allow the channel owner to reapply to the YPP with that channel.

In addition, channels consisting largely of copyright media are showing up with the following Monetization Feature Box Statment: "Monetization has been disabled on this channel due to Adsense Policy Violation", though that statement may also appear for other reasons. People seem to forget that attempted monetization of third party copyright media violates Adsense Policy as well as YouTube Partner Program Policy.

In closing, I just want to warn all here that using copyright music or video and hoping to get away with just a CID claim is no longer the safest road if you want to retain your YouTube Monetization.

Thanks for posting this.

This is very good news for creators who work hard to create their own original content.

Farley Productions

Pursuing the Arts one step at a time.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
Very good information to know. I can't stand how people can get away with using another persons or companies music and imagery on Youtube and make money off it. I'm glad Youtube is "finally" doing something about that.

PS. I'm not talking about reviews, gameplays with commentary, etc. Those are fair use and and the work becomes transformative in nature depending on the video and context. But I'm talking about people who just take an episode of a show or a clip of a movie and just post it online in hoping to make a few dollars.

Cephus

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
The problem is, YouTube monetization is not the only way to make money. There are channels out there that consist of nothing more than reposted YouTube videos and they can, albeit it is hard to do, still make money through direct Patreon and MakerSupport contributions.

Reactions: UKHypnotist

theResidentPsychopath

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
rewards.webtalk.co
Channel Type
Gamer
The problem is, YouTube monetization is not the only way to make money. There are channels out there that consist of nothing more than reposted YouTube videos and they can, albeit it is hard to do, still make money through direct Patreon and MakerSupport contributions.
Unrelated to your comment but you posted this at 11:11. Did you notice that luck?

Digital Beast

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Where else will I get my 30 videos of the same vine compilation!?!?!?!

videoeditgr

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I love music. It is like a dress over a picture's body. (my pictures)
Tbh I prefer to accept any claim (as it is fair) and get zip revenue
rather than loosing a chance to use the music I picked...
:/
....after all I don;t have revenue...
hahahaha!
:) :p

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I know about this particular ploy, Cephus; and I think that non-monetized violator channels which monetize by other means are now frequently being terminated, since they can't be demonetized.

Wakanda

Reaction score
Thank you.
I am working towards meeting the new rules for monetization and the other day I got a funny notice from ABC News. Funny because I shared excerpts of President Trump speech on Opiods. I got it from White House. I ignored the notice because I’m not yet monetized but with this information, I have appealed and the dispute is in progress. I’d hate to meet the new rules only to be told I’m still not eligible for monetization.

If the dispute is not successful I will just pull it down.

Reactions: UKHypnotist

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Thank you.
I am working towards meeting the new rules for monetization and the other day I got a funny notice from ABC News. Funny because I shared excerpts of President Trump speech on Opiods. I got it from White House. I ignored the notice because I’m not yet monetized but with this information, I have appealed and the dispute is in progress. I’d hate to meet the new rules only to be told I’m still not eligible for monetization.

If the dispute is not successful I will just pull it down.
Really not funny at all.

With a major network like ABC, one would need to clear re-broadcast rights before posting any network news excerpt. Was this a Content ID claim, or an actual copyright strike? If you didn't purchase a license, and you found a way to download from the YouTube White House channel, you stand to be in even more trouble...

Downloading YouTube videos is a violation of the YouTube Terms of Service.

In any case, unless you downloaded a direct White House archive from whitehouse dot gov, there is no way you should have disputed this claim; you didn't possess the rights to uphold the dispute.