If possible, would you like YouTube as your job?

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Yes! Been dreaming of it for a year now lol.. made some change but nothing substantial.. Would love for the hubby to "retire" and start a few other channels. Be a youtube family :) help my Dad retire early..

Last edited:

markkaz

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It's been almost four years since I left my 20+ years job with the USPS. I grew over the next two years but after that, it's been a downhill slide. It's time to start a new channel and hopefully, that one turns into a winner!

Yachts For Sale

Yachts For Sale
Reaction score
It's been almost four years since I left my 20+ years job with the USPS. I grew over the next two years but after that, it's been a downhill slide. It's time to start a new channel and hopefully, that one turns into a winner!
I saw your channel on this forum some time ago and was blown away by how you have taken such a niche subject and developed 500,000 subscribers. I guess it shows that engaging content + hard work + consistency yields great results. I'm really curious to know how your colleagues at the USPS reacted when you told them why you were leaving...
Sorry to hear that the channel is going downhill. Is your growth slowing or are you actually starting to lose subs and views?

Reactions: markkaz

Reide

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I would love it to be my job. However I am worried that would make things stressful. Basically youtube is a social media platform. And with any good platform there is the risk of it going sour. As youtube is still very new I fear that most employers would not take "youtuber" seriously on a resume. In fact a lot probably won't even know what youtuber means. And if you were to get popular would you want future employers to look you up online?

markkaz

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'm really curious to know how your colleagues at the USPS reacted when you told them why you were leaving...
Sorry to hear that the channel is going downhill. Is your growth slowing or are you actually starting to lose subs and views?
Everybody that I worked with knew that I doing pretty good on YouTube so it wasn't a surprise. They just wanted to make sure that I had thought it through. Even with earnings sliding, it's still comparable to what I was making at the Post Office so it's OK. In case people are doing the math with my views, I have a studio/warehouse that costs me $2900 a month.

While views are sliding, I have plans to turn things around on the main channel. If I can get a 2nd channel doing that well, that would be fantastic =)

Reactions: Yachts For Sale

OrbitGuy

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
As youtube is still very new I fear that most employers would not take "youtuber" seriously on a resume. In fact a lot probably won't even know what youtuber means. And if you were to get popular would you want future employers to look you up online?
See I don't think it's really the "YouTuber" part that would be useful on a resume but instead the portfolio of videos that you've created and edited and the artwork and thumbnails that you created for them. Also you could show that you have proven stats that show you know how to drive traffic with SEO or that you are good at understanding how to reach a target audience.

Of course they would not take "YouTuber" seriously by itself but they might take the numbers and content behind a successful channel seriously in terms of how you having those skills could help their business. You have to think in terms of what skills you can offer them that you gained from your YouTube experience such as, being self-driven, setting your own deadlines, showing leadership skills, knowledge of current SEO practices, your ability to drive traffic from scratch and gain exposure for their company to increase sales, understanding of what potential customers want to see, ability to successfully promote a brand or product, your technical editing/voice/filming skills, photoshop skills, social skills interacting and building your community to cultivate loyal customers. I would think you would have an advantage having analytics you could show that proved you executed a strategy to drive traffic and build a brand vs someone just has a degree but no experience in that. I'd argue many YouTubers are more skilled at building brands than many people who actually get paid to "manage" social media. But hey I'm not an employer atm so hard to really know, depends on the job you're applying it to.

Reide

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
See I don't think it's really the "YouTuber" part that would be useful on a resume but instead the portfolio of videos that you've created and edited and the artwork and thumbnails that you created for them. Also you could show that you have proven stats that show you know how to drive traffic with SEO or that you are good at understanding how to reach a target audience.

Of course they would not take "YouTuber" seriously by itself but they might take the numbers and content behind a successful channel seriously in terms of how you having those skills could help their business. You have to think in terms of what skills you can offer them that you gained from your YouTube experience such as, being self-driven, setting your own deadlines, showing leadership skills, knowledge of current SEO practices, your ability to drive traffic from scratch and gain exposure for their company to increase sales, understanding of what potential customers want to see, ability to successfully promote a brand or product, your technical editing/voice/filming skills, photoshop skills, social skills interacting and building your community to cultivate loyal customers. I would think you would have an advantage having analytics you could show that proved you executed a strategy to drive traffic and build a brand vs someone just has a degree but no experience in that. I'd argue many YouTubers are more skilled at building brands than many people who actually get paid to "manage" social media. But hey I'm not an employer atm so hard to really know, depends on the job you're applying it to.
Fair point. Maybe I should alter my resume.

Kinan Media

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
it's possible, why not right now in my country Indonesia many people who depend their lives from Youtube, are not 100% dependent on youtube, they still have other jobs, but youtube can be a source of income for them

TheHerdLife

Reaction score
I would have to make a lot of money to quite my job. Like stupid amounts of money!

TheSwedishTraveler

I am a Traveler, A Wanderer, A Thinker
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
[removed by staff]
Don´t be desperate, and comment a relevant comment on the thread please!
It would be nice to have youtube as a job, but I do enjoy my job that I do have. At the same time I don´t if I could travel all the time, since traveling 4 weeks at a time is rough enough!