If I view my own videos does youtube count that as a view??

Tropical365

I've Got It
Reaction score
I constantly check my video because they don't seem to be getting any views! :( So each time I open my video I hope it's not bringing my view count higher? Because that would not be accurate then.

I'm making "what I eat in a day" videos which is quite popular and I know many young girls out there who started their channel exactly one year ago and they already have 100K subs! Yet here I am struggling to get views and new subs (have not gotten any new subs past several days at all)... even though I have one video I posted of my bird 7 months ago which got about 40,000 views it's not helping my channel at all. I almost feel like youtube has my ranked REALLY bad??? Because I had 166 CRAPPY (and I do mean crappy) videos of my bird uploaded (which I deleted most of them) these crappy old videos did not get more views than about 5-20 views per each of those videos (which all came from a bird forum I was a member of at the time)... this volume of crappy low quality videos that did not get views MUST to have hurt my channel rank very badly??? Because now youtube thinks my channel is esstentially "crap"???

I know I posted about this before on this forum several times now but I almost feel like I need to start new channel from scratch... I think by me using the old channel I am dealing with this old channel's bad baggage! :(

I have no idea what to do... I'm feeling bummed out.

6StringMadMan

I've Got It
Reaction score
Yes, but they will only count a certain number of them if they are spread over an amount of time. For instance, you wouldn't be able to constantly refresh the page of your video and see the video views rise because YouTube knows that the views are all coming from the same IP.

Reactions: veronica33067

Dutchie Abroad

Exploring the world one video at a time!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
@Tropical365 You've been posting around on the forums for a while now, but you've kept complaining about the same thing over and over again. I'm not trying to be harsh, but: make a decision and stick to it! If it is continueing your old channel or starting a new one, it's going to be hard either way.

And no, just because you had some badly viewed videos doesn't mean you got 'blacklisted' by Youtube. You're not stuck at 'a bad rank'. That's not how YT works.

My advise? Delete all videos YOU are not happy with (disregarding views) and start making the videos YOU want. What does it matter how Youtube is handling your videos at the moment? You should be making videos because YOU want to make them. And yes, there are a hundred ways you could appeal to the algorithem, but will that make your videos better or more fun for you to make? Probably not. Do Youtube for YOU, not for the platform you are posting them on.

Tropical365

I've Got It
Reaction score
@Tropical365 You've been posting around on the forums for a while now, but you've kept complaining about the same thing over and over again. I'm not trying to be harsh, but: make a decision and stick to it! If it is continueing your old channel or starting a new one, it's going to be hard either way.

And no, just because you had some badly viewed videos doesn't mean you got 'blacklisted' by Youtube. You're not stuck at 'a bad rank'. That's not how YT works.

My advise? Delete all videos YOU are not happy with (disregarding views) and start making the videos YOU want. What does it matter how Youtube is handling your videos at the moment? You should be making videos because YOU want to make them. And yes, there are a hundred ways you could appeal to the algorithem, but will that make your videos better or more fun for you to make? Probably not. Do Youtube for YOU, not for the platform you are posting them on.

Thanks for your advice.

I was speaking with someone at my gym who was adamant that my old channel more than likely has a "bad rank" because of well over 100+ poor quality videos that barely got any views for many months (careless videos of my pet bird) and that it's more difficult to grow with a channel that is in the "gutter" than it is to start with a fresh channel. Both are difficult of course but it's even more difficult when the channel has a "bad rank".... this is what he kept telling me... but you say he is wrong? I hope so!

I'm going to start a second fresh channel to see what happens... this way I will settle my dilemma once and for all ;)

Dutchie Abroad

Exploring the world one video at a time!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
I'm going to start a second fresh channel to see what happens... this way I will settle my dilemma once and for all ;)
Good! You do what you think is best! And I don't know how much knowledge this person has about Youtube, but they don't have a system that 'ranks' channels. It just doesn't work like that. Your one video that does really good is the living proof, you don't have to have a 'good/big' channel to get your videos recommended ;)

Reactions: Courtney Candice

6StringMadMan

I've Got It
Reaction score
A channel that has age, many videos, and many views becomes an authority channel which makes it easier to rank because you now have been given a certain level of trust from YouTube, while a fresh channel has zero authority. I have a channel from 2009 that ranks far better than my other channels.

Reactions: AllofTheAbove

Tropical365

I've Got It
Reaction score
Yes, but they will only count a certain number of them if they are spread over an amount of time. For instance, you wouldn't be able to constantly refresh the page of your video and see the video views rise because YouTube knows that the views are all coming from the same IP.
From now on
A channel that has age, many videos, and many views becomes an authority channel which makes it easier to rank because you now have been given a certain level of trust from YouTube, while a fresh channel has zero authority. I have a channel from 2009 that ranks far better than my other channels.

Interesting, thanks for your response. I have a lot to learn about youtube... that's for sure to say the least.[DOUBLEPOST=1507320386,1507319979][/DOUBLEPOST]
Good! You do what you think is best! And I don't know how much knowledge this person has about Youtube, but they don't have a system that 'ranks' channels. It just doesn't work like that. Your one video that does really good is the living proof, you don't have to have a 'good/big' channel to get your videos recommended ;)

That's a good point... who knows how much that guy ay the gym knows about youtube. I just typed "what I eat in a day" into youtube and found a new channel that is getting displayed in the results next to all the bigger youtubers... that new channel has gotten 104 views in the past 48 hours. It's a new channel.... yet my old channel does not even show up anywhere in the result whe I type "what eat in a day"... maybe it needs time to propagate throughout the system since I just uploaded the video about 1 hour ago?

I'm sure my dilemma will get settled very quickly once I start my fresh new test channel and get a reality check LOL... at least then I will feel more at ease knowing the reason why my OLD channel is not getting any new subs and very low views etc is not because it's "badly ranked".

I will update you on what I find out. Thanks :)[DOUBLEPOST=1507323447][/DOUBLEPOST]This is so strange... how come a new channel I stumbled upon is showing up very high on the 1st page results after I type "what I eat in a day"?... yet my video is buried way at the very bottom not being seen by anyone? This other new channel only has a couple of videos, no custom thumbnails... it's their very first video it says in the title. Their channel is getting views (because it's showing up at the top page of results) whereas my channel is not (because my videos are not being found by anyone) and my video is on the exact same subject being "what I eat in a day". I'm mostly going to be doing "what I eat in a day" videos and on fitness and health. When I see things like this happening... is what makes me think of what that man at the gym told me...

Last edited:

6StringMadMan

I've Got It
Reaction score
Use Google Chrome Incognito when you search that keyword because I'm pretty sure that the video that you're seeing there isn't really there (it's probably because you already watched the video). The keyword "what I eat in a day" is extremely competitive and I am only seeing authority channels on the first page. Don't try to compete with authority channels, your videos will never be seen.

Tropical365

I've Got It
Reaction score
Use Google Chrome Incognito when you search that keyword because I'm pretty sure that the video that you're seeing there isn't really there (it's probably because you already watched the video). The keyword "what I eat in a day" is extremely competitive and I am only seeing authority channels on the first page. Don't try to compete with authority channels, your videos will never be seen.
I just went incognito in chrome, thanks for the tip. The channel I'm referring to is called Sarah Leeuwestein it shows up when searching for "what I eat in a day vegan" (but not under "what I eat in a day") but that channel shows up few pages in the back whereas my video doesn't show up in that list at all. This is sad news... because most of my videos are going to be what I ate in a day videos... I feel like I'm already screwed.
A couple of those auhoritive channels that are popping up on the first page under "what I eat in a day" are very young girls who started starting youtube 12 months ago... they got very lucky!

6StringMadMan

I've Got It
Reaction score
I couldn't find her video for the term "what I eat in a day vegan" in the first 11 pages of YouTube, so I don't think she's ranking for anything. I found her channel and she has 178 subs and 118 views on that particular video, so it's likely that most of the views came from her subs.

In terms of the successful young girl YouTubers, the reason for their success (in my opinion) is because a huge majority of YouTube's users are teenage girls. Just take a look at the most successful YouTubers like Logan Paul and his brother.