If I use a small part of a song will I get in trouble?

Rachael

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I did a review of Taylor Swift's Shake it Off and i danced to it in a small part of the video, like less than 30 seconds. Is it possible for me to get a strike?

The Average Hero

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian, Gamer, Commentator
Yes, unfortunately you will probably get a strike.

Ian W.

Saiyan Warrior!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Depends. If you're monetizing it there is a possibility that you might a 'copyright infringement' claim and if that happens you might get a strike, depending on how strict the people who have rights to that material are and whether or not they decide to flag your video. If you're not monetizing it you should be fine as far as I know.

konisbored

YTtalk's Anti-Boredom Youtuber
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Mostly likely yes. If you're lucky third-party claim is the minimum. You should read YT's Copyright School.

Rachael

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Depends. If you're monetizing it there is a possibility that you might a 'copyright infringement' claim and if that happens you might get a strike, depending on how strict the people who have rights to that material are and whether or not they decide to flag your video. If you're not monetizing it you should be fine as far as I know.
No, I am not monetizing. And I put in the description that no copyright infringement is intended and I do not own anything. Hopefully this is enough?

Reactions: Ian W.

Ian W.

Saiyan Warrior!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
You should be okay then, I wouldn't worry about it :)

WolfWraith

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
No, I am not monetizing. And I put in the description that no copyright infringement is intended and I do not own anything. Hopefully this is enough?
No the biggest misconception on YouTube is that placing something like "I do not own copyrights, no infringement blah blah" automatically exempts you from getting into trouble, it's like saying "I don't mean to do this, hurt anyone or cause suffering" and then proceed to murder someone. A few things can happen, 1) you'll get a content ID claim where the copyright holder places ads on the video to make money off your video, this doesn't mean you're 100% safe but I've never really heard of it causing issues in future apart from making it harder to join a network. 2) if you dispute the claim without holding any permission to use the content you'll get a strike & even if you aknowledge it; the copyright holder still has the right to have your video taken down which will result in a strike.

Reactions: konisbored

konisbored

YTtalk's Anti-Boredom Youtuber
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
No the biggest misconception on YouTube is that placing something like "I do not own copyrights, no infringement blah blah" automatically exempts you from getting into trouble, it's like saying "I don't mean to do this, hurt anyone or cause suffering" and then proceed to murder someone. A few things can happen, 1) you'll get a content ID claim where the copyright holder places ads on the video to make money off your video, this doesn't mean you're 100% safe but I've never really heard of it causing issues in future apart from making it harder to join a network. 2) if you dispute the claim without holding any permission to use the content you'll get a strike & even if you aknowledge it; the copyright holder still has the right to have your video taken down which will result in a strike.
This, so much this. People need to read the Youtube Playbook/Copyright School. The Youtube TOS is very clear about this, @Rachael.

offbeatbryce

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
For someone reason everyone in the world seems to forget that YouTube pays license for users to upload songs. kobaltmusic . com/ page-youtube-licensing-faq.php

markkaz

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It doesn't matter if you monetize it or not. The person who owns the rights to that material has the rights to determine how they want it used.

Now, I don't know about that song. They may let you use it and they will monetize it.