Idea to solve some of the copyright issues

offbeatbryce

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
YouTube has finger print files of songs video etc so that when someone uploads a copyirghted video it gets detected. Why can't YouTube add a system so that if someone reacts to a video or uses a song it like embeds the videos from the original owner and plays in the bottom right when someone reacts?

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
There was a thread about a year ago about someone saying they wanted to invent this. I'm not sure what ever happened to the idea... I'd imagine it'd be really difficult to code... "Endscreen cards" are just still pictures -- if YouTube could have easily had videos playing in them instead of still thumbnails, I bet they would have gone that route.... :eek:

zerocache

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
If I'm understanding you correctly, then that won't change a thing. Copyright is about the resulting work not necessarily the medium.

If a react video was based off of every single frame from a reel of film it's still violates the copyright holder's right to the work if they, the react video creators, have not asked permission or had the license to do so.

It doesn't matter that it's a separate object on the page over the react video itself, or however it's represented. The issue if the owner would allow such usage.

offbeatbryce

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
If I'm understanding you correctly, then that won't change a thing. Copyright is about the resulting work not necessarily the medium.

If a react video was based off of every single frame from a reel of film it's still violates the copyright holder's right to the work if they, the react video creators, have not asked permission or had the license to do so.

It doesn't matter that it's a separate object on the page over the react video itself, or however it's represented. The issue if the owner would allow such usage.
not exactly. Lets say the video that was embedded in the reaction video counted towards more views of the original video the person was reacting to. The revenue would be split between both videos automatically when you embedded it. Furthermore all uploads of the video on a channel that wasn't utilizing the emded feature would result in a copyright strike but the embed process didn't. Rather you are linking to the video and it's playing not directly in the upload.

Shakycow

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
Currently, if someone were to use someone else's footage, the system allows the copyright owners to allow/ ignore them, issue a copyright strike, or (if they're in the Content ID system) to issue a claim and earn 100% of all income from the offending video.

Under your system, the copyright owner would have limited control on who links to their video or how they use it and have the earned revenue split.

How would that be an improvement for a copyright holder?

zerocache

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
not exactly. Lets say the video that was embedded in the reaction video counted towards more views of the original video the person was reacting to. The revenue would be split between both videos automatically when you embedded it. Furthermore all uploads of the video on a channel that wasn't utilizing the emded feature would result in a copyright strike but the embed process didn't. Rather you are linking to the video and it's playing not directly in the upload.
That will only work if the copyright holder says it's ok before anyone does anything with their video.