I'd like to offer thoughtful reviews of your channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayseaFIFA

Reaction score
Hey dude,
I found your offer and I decided might aswell
I know 2 subs but I have alot of editing for a special video!
The review would be great thanks.
Josh

AngelSnes

Let's Player!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hi AngelSnes,

I watched several of your videos and poked around your channel page and I liked what I saw. You’ve been at this for a long time, and you’ve clearly got a reliable system for producing watchable, steady content. I apologize in advance for how dull my review might seem, but I think what you’re doing generally works and demonstrates a self-awareness regarding what you’re going for and what your ambitions are.,
Matt
I never got a message about this thread so I never found your review until now. And I just want to say thank you so much for the constructive criticism, and the nice comments!

I'll definitely try to edit my videos to have more flow and funny comments. And I agree completely with the lack of informative/opinionated commentary, so I'll get right on keeping that one of my main goals!

I'm also trying to improve the production quality of my videos, just trying to get everything sounding and looking perfect.

This is some absolutely fantastic feedback, and I can see it really helping to guide my improvement!

Thank you again!

-Adam

Robsoma

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hi Matt,

Your reviews are amazing! It would be great if you could cast an eye over our channel, as at the moment we are stumbling quite blindly around YouTube.

All the best :)

Robsoma

GodOfChugs

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I think my thing right now is channel banner. I personally don't like the new layout of it and I feel like I'm extremely limited with space :/

Furry Gurus

I'm a girl!
Reaction score
Hello Fury Gurus,

I love your channel. I don’t say that often, but yours is unique and delightful. Here’s what I like:

1. You aren’t trying to do anything crazy complicated. You put your pets on camera and show us the fun things they do. It’s enjoyable and we don’t need a bunch of other stuff. It’s okay to have a highly specific channel.

2. Everything you present looks great. You’ve put thought into a look for everything about your channel. It’s cohesive and the design elements match the mood of your videos. Your cover art is fun and tells us a lot about what to expect when we watch, and your font is appropriate for the feel of the show.

3. Your lighting and camera work are generally good. Everything has a slightly reduced contrast look to it that conveys the same gentleness that you and your pets do on camera.

4. You yourself are rarely on camera, but when you are, you’re gentle, kind, natural and pleasant. YouTube can often feel like a lot of yelling, and that makes your approach all the more enjoyable.

5. Your pets are entertaining. Too many pet videos are dull. Yours feel unstaged and endearing.

6. Your videos are short and sharable (something I do poorly).

Here’s a couple of thoughts that might be helpful as you move forward.

1. Your subscriber count is disproportionate to your view count. Your outro slates are pretty good and could keep people bouncing around in your channel, but a nice on-camera request for subscriptions could help. You don’t need gimmicks, but it wouldn’t hurt to ask more than you are.

2. The videos with you are good. You should be in more. Not all, but more.

It’s hard to criticize your approach, because your channel is very self-aware. You set out to achieve a certain feel and you’ve done that. I could offer production value suggestions for where to go next, but you’ve evolved wonderfully on your own and you’ll continue to do so.

The thing that you’re getting right that I hope everyone in these forums notes and tries to imitate is the positive, unified feel of your channel. It feels good to watch your videos. Users are left with a smile. There are no loose ends. Feel matters, and it’s that intangible thing that makes people want to come back because they like the way it felt to watch what you do. If we knew the recipe for this, we’d all do it every time, but since we don’t know the recipe, all we can do is strive for it and then ride it out when we come across it.

I have no idea whether what you’re doing will take off or not, but either way it’s good stuff. You’re on to something here.

Take care,

Matt
You actually almost made me cry... Thank you so much for the positive review, it is very nice to see that what i strive for comes across the right way!

TMBH

Nice Man
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'd love to hear your feedback on my channel, if/when you have a chance. Like Hana above, my main issue at the moment is finding my audience. I have no idea how to find the right viewers, and I have no idea how to put myself in the position for potential viewers to find me. I've been adjusting my video format with each upload, trying to find the right balance between informative and entertaining, while maintaining a quick pace and not losing anyone's attention.
Hi TV Junkie,

In the post where you asked me to share my thoughts, you mentioned that you were having trouble finding your audience and that you were doing a lot of tinkering to find the right formula. That was May 11th, and I’d say that since then you’ve figured some things out. When I started doing these reviews, my channel was pretty new and I had a lot more time, and then as my channel grew the gaps between reviews got bigger and bigger. The funny thing is that I pulled up your stuff in late summer, again around Halloween, and then again just now; each time intending to get a review written. So now that I’m finally getting around to it, I feel like I’ve been stalking you for six months and should have at least a couple of useful insights.

Stuff I like:

First of all, congrats on your top videos. You clearly put a lot of thought into how to construct those from the ground up and it’s paying off. You’re providing real value to your audience, and you’re composing material that people will be searching for. That’s so much smarter than just throwing stuff up for the sake of throwing stuff up. Additionally, I like that you’ve been willing to try different formats as you’ve gone along. It looks like certain approaches have resonated and others just haven’t clicked for your viewers, but there’s no way to know unless you put it out there right? Another thing I think is really working for you is that you’re actually knowledgeable about your subject matter. You don’t condescend to your audience, but most people who check you out will quickly realize that you know more about this than they do and that they have something to learn. Again you provide value and benefit, and that’s key for most genres of channels.

Light constructive criticism:

I notice that your big videos don’t seem to be converting visitors into subscribers and I have a few thoughts on why. First, and I have to go there, the production value when you’re on screen isn’t in keeping with the quality of the content. To put it another way, what you’re saying is of higher quality than how you’re presenting it and that’s disorienting for viewers. Simple 3-point lighting would improve your look on camera a TON. Right now the general impression of your image is dull. It just seem drab and shadowy and cheap, and the echoey mic doesn’t help. These subtle cues tell viewers to take you less seriously. This stuff can be addressed cheaply, and I think it would be a very worthwhile investment to bring your production quality up closer to the quality of your words and ideas.

This guy’s set up isn’t great, but it’s cheap and it’s an improvement.

Here’s some suggestions on good affordable audio.

If that last paragraph seemed patronizing I apologize. That maybe stuff you’re already thinking through and have fully under control moving forward. Your stuff is solid and I throw these ideas out because I think you should continue to succeed and grow, not because I want to nitpick.

With that disclaimer in mind I offer my next suggestion: Improved framing. Sometimes you appear at strange ratios and at displeasing places in the frame. The height of the lens in relation to your eyes sometimes makes you seem diminutive like in this video

Here’s a video that I think explains framing well:

Finally, I really like the words you say, but sometimes they seem pretty forced. I can tell you’re manuscripting right now, and that’s okay, but it feels pretty stiff at times. It works better when you’re doing voice over, but when you talk into the camera it can clang. You’re a good writer and I don’t think you should abandon the scripts entirely, but I’d love to see what you can do without one. You know your stuff inside and out, and I think you could create a more relatable, likable, relaxed feel by getting yourself into the loose warmed up zone and then editing for tightness after the fact. I for one like hearing a knowledgeable person talk about their craft, and I think you’d retain more viewers if the delivery was less stilted, and more of your personality. People sub if you’ve got A+ content, or if you build a connection with them by being human. I think you can get to a place where you’ve got both, and I think you’re well on your way to achieving the former.

You want to become the person whose opinion people can’t wait to hear, and I think the suggestions I’ve thrown out can help with that.

In summary, I like what you’re doing. Your channel provides more value than most I’ve reviewed, you’ve improved a ton, you’re a smart and strategic youtuber, and I’m glad you’re staying at it.

I really enjoyed watching your stuff and reviewing your channel.

Take care,

Matt

Reactions: TVJunkie93

MBGaming

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hey Matt !
Whenever you find time, I would be interested in a review from you.
All the best,
Chris

Stelios

King of Derps
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
I would really love a review TMBH! Im trying hard to be good but an outsider could tell me things I don't see, I would appreciate it!

Last edited:

TVJunkie93

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thank you so much for all the feedback! It's been tough to nail the production setup and film videos consistently (production wise) since I'm operating out of my tiny college dorm, but I am planning on getting a nice Snowball USB Mic within a week or so. I'm also trying to figure out where I could put a small green screen, which would absolutely allow me to put in more interesting backgrounds. As for the lighting, again difficult in a small dorm, but I'll definitely see what household items I can find to help.

As for the writing, I have been trying to be looser lately when I'm on camera, but I still seem to come off a bit rigid. I'm definitely trying to improve on that.

As a follow up, do you have any advice for marketing?

Thanks again for the input, well worth the wait!

Last edited:

EvoShieldGaming

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hey! I would LOVE some feedback on my channel. If you could do this that would be awesome! I hope you like my channel ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.