I wish more youtubers would do this...

dineANDrhyme

Reaction score
OK, so a channel I've been following for a few years now has released a touching video about what he's going through at the moment. He's battling all sorts of demons at the moment and I found it very enlightening as to what we think is going on and what is actually going on behind the scenes. The channel is called 'nicko's kitchen' and the video is called 'weight gain, shame, drugs & mental disorders' he's really opened up about stuff and it makes me think....

Should we all do more of this and stop worrying about what other people think and 'damaging your brand' which he's been accused of.
Yes totally agree and love this! I'm gonna watch the video now! Btw I'm so glad to have found another foodie on these forums, I feel like it's all gamers haha

adams eats

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Yes totally agree and love this! I'm gonna watch the video now! Btw I'm so glad to have found another foodie on these forums, I feel like it's all gamers haha
Haha thanks pal. Yeah I've not found many foodies on here myself. ☺

LizetteGaming

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I watch a lot of lifestyle/beauty vids and I really appreciate the emotional honesty that some of the creators put out there - it can make you feel really vulnerable, but it can also create such a strong connection with your audience.

CJ_CatLady

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I started a series on my channel looking at my Mental Health issues; I've had a few folk say to me that my frank updates and discussion surrounding mental illness are refreshing and helpful.
I think a lot of people are afraid of backlash or negative reactions to talking about these things but the support can be overwhelmingly positive. Agreed, more folk shouldn't feel scared to do vids like that <3

Cherry Tung

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I once did a video about cyber bullying (it's still up), and I was soo afraid to share it in public, esp when it is possible for the bully to watch my videos. Just admitting that the bully caused damage in my life puts me in such a vulnerable position. Yet, it is so important to let viewers, especially the younger generation understand that nobody is perfect, and nobody has a perfect life. Success comes with hard work, and even the most "glamorous" YouTubers have their own struggles. We are all human, after all.

Brandon

VISUAL.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
This is so true. I can't believe that people think he is "damaging his brand" by being open about what he's going through? Did I read that correctly? I am a big mental health advocate and I push the conversation in almost all of my social platforms. I studied art therapy in college too.. I cannot believe how stigmatized it is in 2017. Especially with how many social movements we have going on. You are right. We as creators I think have a responsibility to push these conversations even though it may not fit in with our current content. It is important for people to know that it is okay to talk about these problems. I struggle from depression and severe anxiety. I am a recovering self harmer of 7 years and am still getting better. This has really pushed me to want to talk about this on my channel. T

adams eats

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
This is so true. I can't believe that people think he is "damaging his brand" by being open about what he's going through? Did I read that correctly? I am a big mental health advocate and I push the conversation in almost all of my social platforms. I studied art therapy in college too.. I cannot believe how stigmatized it is in 2017. Especially with how many social movements we have going on. You are right. We as creators I think have a responsibility to push these conversations even though it may not fit in with our current content. It is important for people to know that it is okay to talk about these problems. I struggle from depression and severe anxiety. I am a recovering self harmer of 7 years and am still getting better. This has really pushed me to want to talk about this on my channel. T
Yeah some of his sponsors told him not too because it will damage his brand. I think he even took some previous ones down as well. He's put another update up yesterday with his wife if you want to look

Reactions: Brandon

Switchbox

Give me your food
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Gamer, Commentator, Other
Not everyone is able to talk about their feelings.
I'm like Bree Van De Kamp

PureDangles

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Seeing behind the scenes stuff always gets me so interested. Aka why i love staff talk on the howard stern show, or when achievement hunters do videos that arent about gaming and its all the real people. I think its hard for a lot of youtubers to open up about things that are going on in their personal life and they use youtube to disconnect from those things just for a few hours while recording and editing. I think subs are so interested in their real life that these videos a great for their channel and for their viewers. but some youtubers would never want to open up about their personal life like Nicko did.