I wanted to start vlogging, What kind of camera/lens should I use?

zebrastripes

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I have a canon rebel T3i DSLR camera with the lens that came with it. I thought about starting vlogs on my channel, but I don't know if I should buy a new lens or buy a completely new camera.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Moved to the recording / editing / production / hardware forum. :)

pey's place

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Hi zebrastripes,

It may be difficult to vlog with such a large camera. I haven't been vlogging very long, but it seems like a smaller camera is much better at capturing most situations. We use a GoPro Hero 5 Black with a Rhode video micro external mic on top in a skeleton case that has a shoe mount. We have that on a small mono-pod and it does really well. We can capture 4K video with great audio and wind reduction.

JoycelynsLife

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
One thing to have for vlogging cameras is the ability to flip the screen so you can see the framing as you talk to the camera. You can go for point and shoots or DSLRs. I'm currently using Canon 70D and it's good for me. The downside to Canon is that 4k recording is not available, unlike Sony and other brands.

I'm not a camera expert but T3i seems pretty good, but definitely there's better cameras out there since 6 years ago when it was released. There are many similar discussions online and perhaps reading about them can help you make your decision!

zebrastripes

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Thank you guys so much for all the info! It is greatly appreciated.