I want to turn one of my spare bedrooms into a youtube room!

DawnDawn88

Reaction score
I need some tips on how to set up a budget youtube room. I will be starting it this month and hopefully will be able to use it this month as well.

I have a desktop pc upgraded to windows 10 and a laptop running windows 8.1. I have an android phone with 2 camera's on it. I also have an action cam. I also have a nice sized older style desk with plenty of storage space and 2 gooseneck cellphone mounts and a mountable swing armbar style microphone kit.

I also have a few pieces of cloth material to use as backgrounds.

I need some tips on setting things up in a convenient way.

I will be doing product reviews and some shopping haul videos and some random videos.

I do want to try and do the best I can with this so I'm asking on here for tips and advice please thank you.

Any advice for a newbie please I even wanted to start a new channel just to start from scratch.

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I moved this to the video recording / hardware discussion forum. :) The YouTube articles / tutorials forum is more for guides rather than how-to questions.

videoeditgr

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Guess "Trial and error" will show you the way.
It is not much of a tip but it is the only way to find what suits your needs.
Good luck and don't be dissapointed with first errors.
It takes time.
:)

Reactions: tahlia

mytechliving

Reaction score
Set the desk up a few feet from a wall. Sit between the desk and the wall. Set the action camera on the other side of the desk. It should be wide enough to capture the desk top and your head. Have a camera facing down at the table if possible to capture your hands. Don't worry about backdrops so long as the wall is a plain color. Focus on lighting.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: tahlia

YouTube4x4

I've Got It
Reaction score
As stated above, lighting is critical. I am still a beginner but I recommend you shop around amazon for some basic and effective lighting and tripod options. You can get a lot for your money.

DawnDawn88

Reaction score
I have a idea for lighting. I seen a diy ring light setup on youtube it cost a women like under $25.00 to make a diy ring light.

I purchased a wall mirror about 2 months ago from my local walmart for under $5.00 and I got a free light led sticky strip light for making your own vanity mirror. I just bought the over the door mirror hanging kit from my local walmart for under $2.00 it was $2.97 I got it for $1.50.

So I think if I hang the mirror on the wall sideways behind the camera and turn the lights on I can have a diy ring light for under $20.00 and the mirror should give a nice reflection.

Plus I also got a really pretty thickish shiny material from the sewing section from my local walmart for $2.00 a yard they only had a little over a yard on the spool so I bought all they had it was under $4.00 it was $3.60 something.

I also bought a cheap curtain rod that stretches up to 48" and I also have some clothes pins.

I also have a few other materials I can use as backgrounds as well.

I will also be getting a small tripod today from amazon it will be here today. So far things are looking up for me. Plus I purchased my cousins old iphone 6 plus to use for a camera.

I think I will be trying to do a short video today or tomorrow once I get the bedroom all sorted out.

I am still looking to tinker with the setup but so far so good.

Xynudu

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Do some sound checks first off to make sure you won't suffer from echo problems. This can happen in small hard walled rooms.

So shoot some video with commentary and play it back. If it's an issue, you will need to add sound deadening etc.

Lighting is also critical but cheap to rig up. A few fluro tubes strategically placed work well. I got mine out of a dumpster.

BrettTaylorYT

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
I would suggest permanently mounting your cloth material somewhere on the wall so you don't need to worry about setting it up before every shoot. Also you could keep your camera and lights out, but I feel you might accidentally knock them down from time to time. But I like the plan of using your desk for storage and you can just label the drawers (or whatever is there to be storage space) and put all your equipment in it

videoeditgr

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Seems you love discounts! Don,t get me wrong, i also like purchasing misc stuff. But you should do some research first... Color cartons make a nice blue or green screen behind you. Start thinking of software that support color keying. No need for (real) background. Light strips and similar will make a romantic mood not a well lit video even if you shoot in daylight. Aluminium foil make good reflector. There is a difference in mirror light. It can cause flares, it is not adjustable to move, it reflects hard light. Search light temperature and softness. Also search three point lighting. As in previous post said, trail and error will guide you. Start with confidence it is not a bedroom or a youtube room. It is your studio now on. And start making videos. Even test ones... :)