I Want To Criticize You

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brent Blogs

Blogger, vlogger, comedian, & ranter.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Ranter, Comedian
Haha... I'm a touch insecure and constructive criticism scares me, so go easy on me. Feedback is the only way I'll improve, though. But this video is generally regarded as one of my better comedy ones:

Watch "Keeping it real"

Golden Bear

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Commentator, Designer
Wow man. I'd be happy if you would review my channel. Just don't say much about mic, i know i need new one. And my favorite video is Amnesia par 13 which is not uploaded :D It will be uploded tomorrow :3

Reactions: maurice barnett
Reaction score
If you haven't already done this video, would yo umind doing this one? -
But if you already did the circus one, no need to do this one!
Alrighty, delays aside, it's finally review time!
  • The teaser is little bit odd. It might put people off before they get into the main portion of the video.
  • I'm also noticing that you're fairly poorly lit in comparison to your background (and the camera shakes with your typing). Probably worth playing around with the setup a bit to avoid these issues.
  • I'd probably retool the intro to fit the widescreen format, just to keep things consistent with the rest of your video.
  • "Roll the special effects" - the effect seems a bit out-of-place. A jump-cut would have been just fine there, and it comes off as a bit campy to insert things like that for their own sake. Just my opinion though.
  • So, I think you're recording on your laptop's webcam - two quick notes about this: 1. The reflection in your glasses is a bit distracting - perhaps you could turn the brightness down before recording. 2. Eye contact is extremely important on YouTube, which can be a bit challenging when you're tempted to look at the screen. Be sure you focus your gaze on the camera :)
  • You have very good enthusiasm when you get on a roll, but you seem to lose your place at times, which leaves a fair bit of dead air. Feel free to use jump-cuts to keep the energy moving without the pauses.
  • A note on editing - you do seem to have a second or two at the beginning and ends of your clips. The key to good editing is to remove as much video as possible without sacrificing content. That is to say, you only want dead air when the pause is for effect.
  • During the split-screen, there are a couple of frames where it seems to flicker back to a single shot. Definitely take the time to proof, re-proof, and re-re-proof your stuff before it goes live. Personally, I know I catch a ton of stuff after I think I'm finally done.
  • Volume is a little bit iffy, especially toward the end. Definitely recommend using a compressor on the audio, just to make sure the volume is smooth throughout.
Altogether, I liked this though. Keep it up, and I'm sure you'll do really well :)[DOUBLEPOST=1368591950,1368591723][/DOUBLEPOST]
Hey man, some feedback would be awesome. Any video really, I suppose my latest though :)
Heya - sorry I've gotten a bit backed up. Just let me know which video you'd like a review on, and I'll be happy to get to it :)[DOUBLEPOST=1368593896][/DOUBLEPOST]
Hey Kisikw, I've seen you around and know that you are good and honest when it comes to criticism so here is one of my video's to have a go on. Its indeed gaming related, but I want to be sure I'm ready for the next lets play i will start (or review).

Hiya! So, standard preface, I'm not a gamer, blah blah blah, anyways, critique time!
  • I like the intro screen - if it were me, I'd probably trim the end by maybe a second. But it's clear, gives me a sense of what the content will be. I like it.
  • After your intro though, there's a few seconds of silence, which seems a bit weird. I'd trim that out in the future - get to the good stuff. Namely, your commentary!
  • As you're talking, your mic is distorting a fair bit. Make sure that you're not peaking the mic - because once that happens, no amount of correction in post can fix that.
  • I like that you recapped what happened in the last video. It's important to remember that any video could be the first one any new subscriber sees, so they all need to be able to stand alone :)
  • For the first few minutes, at least, the commentary is pretty light. I'd practice trying to just speak and interact more - the viewer wants to feel that they're experiencing the game with you, not just observing you.
  • The video in general seemed pretty light on commentary - I suppose this could be by design, as it's a relatively new game, and you could be just letting people get invested in the story, but personally, I'd find it more engaging if you spoke more.
  • I liked the outro, short, good calls-to-action :)
Hope this is helpful![DOUBLEPOST=1368594542][/DOUBLEPOST]
Could you critique mine?

YadayadaI'mnotagamersotakethiswithagrainofsalt, etc.
  • Your voice is really engaging right off the bad. I know a lot of gamers like to have an intro, but I think your video works nicely without if you want to continue doing that :)
  • Some of the cuts (noticing it around 42 seconds in) are a little jarring. Hard cuts can be a little off-putting (in my experience) with gaming, because you can't tell when something's intentional, or whether it's lag. When deliberately cutting, unless you're just moving forward (and keep the "camera" steady), I'd use a dissolve.
  • The audio is pretty good, though you get a little quiet at times. Definitely do a pass with a compression filter and it should even that up nicely :)
  • Just to revise a bit on the cuts - in some of the cases where you're just doing a cut to hide some quick camera movement, perhaps just retime the portion in between? i.e. just speed up the footage when you shift from looking at the right side of the blacksmith to the left, etc.
  • Honestly, I liked this. It was nice, quick, and to-the-point. I *might* add an endscreen that directs people to some of your other videos, but well done!
Cheers!

Alrod360

Proud leader of VideoGameAddictz!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Commentator, Reviewer, Animator
Give me all you got (no-****) :)

Reactions: maurice barnett

JohnKenShow

The YTTalk Godfather
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Director, Musician, Guru, Reporter, Vlogger, Ranter, Comedian
So...I'd like to preempt this by saying that any feedback you'll get from me - while it might be harsh - would be with the intention of helping you improve your stuff.

So, if anyone is interested, toss your favorite video in the thread, and I'd love to give you a full-on point-by-point critique.

Cheers!
I like being criticized by you

Reactions: GafferGames

Andrea

Hero
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hi man,i would like to hear what in your opinion i can improve in this video.

VesuviusStudios

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
ill dip my toe in this scary water filled with sharks...

Status
Not open for further replies.