I used music from the Youtube selctions and got a claim

LadylexUK

Reaction score
I thought the music that Youtube provide as options when you make a video were free to use and would not cause you issues - yet I used it and still got a copyright claim. What's going on there?

RyanH

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
As mentioned, not all of the songs in the audio library are usable and monetizable. It states whether they are, see youtube.com/audiolibrary/music If it was under "free music" and it specifically states that you can monetize your video when using that song, or that you have to provide attribution when using, then dispute the claim as it would be erroneous.

JayManOurMusicBox

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Reason why this can happen....

A composer's work can change licensing terms, status and rights can change if he sells out or changes label, management or later on signs with a 3rd party agency to collect royalties. Indie artists especially are always looking to get signed. That is why I strongly advise against using music from Bandcamp and Soundcloud. They are most not royalty free as well.

Best to look out for music directly from the composer that confirms that the music will be fully monetizable on YouTube instead of music that is within large collections where the composers are almost nameless and faceless.
A great place to start is of course Incompetech, Josh Woodward, Audionautixs.
My music is fully monetizable as well and I have over 5000+ tracks.

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
Reason why this can happen....

A composer's work can change licensing terms, status and rights can change if he sells out or changes label, management or later on signs with a 3rd party agency to collect royalties. Indie artists especially are always looking to get signed. That is why I strongly advise against using music from Bandcamp and Soundcloud. They are most not royalty free as well.

Best to look out for music directly from the composer that confirms that the music will be fully monetizable on YouTube instead of music that is within large collections where the composers are almost nameless and faceless.
A great place to start is of course Incompetech, Josh Woodward, Audionautixs.
My music is fully monetizable as well and I have over 5000+ tracks.
Jay, while you are at it, please don't confuse "large collections where the composers are almost nameless and faceless" with commercial Royalty-Free Libraries. While the music in these large collection isn't free (licensing fees must be paid), quite a few of these do one or more of the following to guarantee non-interference from the YouTube Content ID System.

A: Exclusive track licensing contracts; meaning that for the duration of such a contract, no other major distributor has the right to hold a copy of the tracks in another library. Such a distributor may also place their artists' tracks for personal (listening only) commercial distribution at such places as iTunes.

B: If a Content ID match is generated and cannot be successfully disputed, the artist who submitted the track is penalized by all monies generated by such music returned to the licensors, and the artist himself banned from the library.

While I don't have the size collection you do, my music has both the above stipulations attached; I am distributed by a major RF library out of Norway.

Reactions: JayManOurMusicBox

DJBenz

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I thought the music that Youtube provide as options when you make a video were free to use and would not cause you issues - yet I used it and still got a copyright claim. What's going on there?
Happened to me too, when I used a free, monetizable track from their library and I tried to monetize it. I disputed it and they sent me a form to fill in to show rights to use the track. I filled in the form, linked to the track in their own library and they removed the claim in a couple of days.

RichGuitarGamer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
With some of the music in the audio library it states you have to include original producer In the description box, I have a feeling the audio you used is one...

LadylexUK

Reaction score
I do not monetize any of my videos, so that was not the issue - however the track is no longer listed on Youtube as an option, so I am guessing the composer withdrew from the programme. This makes it very difficult for us. One minute you are using a piece of music that YouTube are recommending you use so you dont get copyright issues, then the next you get a copyright notice. It had not occurred to me that this could happen. I guess the only way to be 100% certain about music is to own the copyright or make totally original music yourself.

Reactions: UKHypnotist

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
I do not monetize any of my videos, so that was not the issue - however the track is no longer listed on Youtube as an option, so I am guessing the composer withdrew from the programme. This makes it very difficult for us. One minute you are using a piece of music that YouTube are recommending you use so you dont get copyright issues, then the next you get a copyright notice. It had not occurred to me that this could happen. I guess the only way to be 100% certain about music is to own the copyright or make totally original music yourself.
That's one of the reasons I started making my own, plus the rising costs for licensing RF music, which I used to do on a regular basis.