I tried a new video style. Please critique an amateur.

GiggaVega

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
Hey guys.
I had no training in videography or video editing. I have been making videos for about a year & a half. I strive to improve my skills & make entertaining videos.
I put a lot of work into this latest video & I tried something completely different. I shot 3 videos & put them into one. I wanted to make kind of like a video ark where all three clips made a story. I've never done anything like this & I want to know what you guys think of the editing & the content of the video, would you watch a channel like mine?
Thank you.

Min/Max Munchking

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
What we feel and think is irrelevant - most/all of us are not your target audience. People will watch anything these days, but you need to figure out is how to appeal to a large enough audience that are interested in same/similar types of content, it's all that matters for growth.

If you get more engagement (likes, comments, subscribers, shares...), better CTR, more watchtime, better average view duration and all the other important metrics on any video, you need to double down on whatever you did in that one and use it in all of your future videos.

You're still in algorithm hell technically, but don't get discouraged, keep experimenting until you nail down the video style that will catapult you to thousands of people on their YT Homepage.

Reactions: GiggaVega

Magic Pete

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Greetings GiggaVega,

I rarely comment on videos in this forum asking for comments, but I will give you a few thoughts. It will be mentioned that I’m a very aged pensioner and thus my opinions might seem a little dated for you youngsters.

As you explain that you have only been making videos for about 18 months, I think you have certainly learned a great deal and doing very well. Most of us are self-taught and the learning curve is long and to be honest, never-ending – you are doing well. You like to experiment and that is great as one learns a lot from trying different ideas. Well done on the use of ‘Green Screen’. I did notice there appeared some minor inaccuracies in places, but this is not so easy at times.

The technical quality of the video was first class and the audio was very good. The lighting on you was very good also. As a presenter, you come over very well indeed. This part many people find quite difficult. I note you come from Canada but from your accent, it might appear that English is not your native language. Most of the time it’s no problem. See note later.

Having given compliments I will now mention a couple of minor technical points. I’m from an age where, what is known as ‘jump-cuts’ are frowned upon. These days some folk find them acceptable, but generally, they are best avoided. So, at about 01.10sec there is a very obvious ‘jerk’ from one ‘take’ to another. There is another at about 01.50s where you are centre screen one moment then instantly you are on the left of screen. To many viewers, this feels uncomfortable. Another, hardly noticeable, one was at about 4m27s but we will let you off on that one. One way to cover these sort of things is to insert (say) a ‘fade-in/out’ or similar transition. Please don’t overdo the use of fancy transitions though!

At 02.38s there is a very brief flash showing Obama(?) wearing a cap with Trump written on it. It’s only about 4 frames. I wonder if this is intentional? If so, it only appears as a brief flash. If unintentional then it should be removed. I like the visual misdirection gag of adding the winning slip to the bowl. Well done – and acted.

I admire your thinking of putting three videos together to make a story. However, for myself, I couldn’t follow what story you were trying to tell. (I wonder what others think on this point?) Maybe your accent didn’t help plus your patter was far too wordy and seemed padded out. This of course made the video seem a bit too long. It’s possible that it’s my age showing through here! I also felt there was some overuse of special effects, especially at the end. (Clever of course).

My conclusion is that it's a splendid effort, very well done and a worthwhile exercise, subject to the minor points raised above. Keep up the good work my friend.
Pete.

Reactions: GiggaVega

GiggaVega

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
@Magic Pete Thank you very much for the critique, I appreciate you taking the time to comment & watching my video, you did actually watch it to the end & that is Awesome of you :D
You joined in 2013 & have commented 72 times since, so I feel honored that you chose to review my thread & video.
To answer a few of your Qs.

Yes I am Canadian, born & raised, I am Greek. So that is the accent you are hearing. I have worked on my speech over the years as I do have a very deep & often flat tone. It was not easy but making videos has been the biggest help.

The Obama with a Trump hat flash, thanks for catching it & pointing it out. It absolutely was intentional. My videos are generally littered with little quips & hidden jokes. My channel is not political but I do sometimes talk about certain things.

Regarding the jump cuts & the changing of video position, I messed up because I got some bad news during my editing & it distracted me greatly. There were a couple of portions where I forgot to position my video on the left 3rd of the screen. That's why I tend not to answer my phone durring my edits so I don't get distracted.
The Jump cuts, this is how I edit my vids:
1: Color correction.
2: Audio correction (mostly to raise the volume of my video)
3: Green screen removal
4: Cutting away the dead air, unnecessary content & filler words such as: Uhhh, Ummm, So...etc. Yeah so sometimes the jump cuts are a bit sharper than others. But you are right, others have pointed out transitioning. I will experiment a bit with it.
5: I add the background video or background picture for the Green screen.
6: Add the background content videos & pictures.
7: Add the back ground music.
8: Render the final product.

Lastly regarding the 3 videos into one. I came up with the idea the night before but I had no idea how to do it. I'm not a filmographer lol
Pretty much I improvised the entire video, it all "Just happened" off the cuff (I never script my videos) The 1st arc was supposed to be me Cheating the contest to draw my own name as the winner. 2nd arc was supposed to be like a news interruption (G.N.N Gigga News Network) to expose my channel scandal cheating the subscribers. 3rd arc was me holding a press conference (using the White House Podium) to address the concerns & re-draw the name of the true winner.
The whole shot in the head & GNN at the end that was an unknown factor that was capped with further nonsense of GNN killing me because I killed off the Dinosaurs (it is a little known fact, but it is true, I did kill off the Dinosaurs, they were out of control)
LOL so I hope this sheds a little light on how I work so far until I learn other ways.
I appreciate your input Pete.
Image result for negan gif