I think this might be copyright but need advice

Callico

Gamer, Vlogger and Graphics Artist
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hi, so a video youtube video uses my videos but as snippets but never asked can you tell me if the video can be put through for a copyright claim and for what.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Sin B

2017 blows
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Eh his video is just like any Leafy video or other "roast" channels. Is it against fair use, probably yeah. Will your copyright claim do anything, maybe since he's not as massive as Leafy, but not really likely due to it being a 5month+ old video. Anyways, it's worth filing a claim and going from there, YouTube might act on it.

Commander Skull

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Comedian, Gamer, Reviewer, Cartoonist, Animator
Depends on how long the video they use is. If its say 5-10 second fragments from your video I am not sure you can copyright strike it. But go ahead if you want to try it anyways.

Callico

Gamer, Vlogger and Graphics Artist
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Eh his video is just like any Leafy video or other "roast" channels. Is it against fair use, probably yeah. Will your copyright claim do anything, maybe since he's not as massive as Leafy, but not really likely due to it being a 5month+ old video. Anyways, it's worth filing a claim and going from there, YouTube might act on it.
Shall I say the enitre video or what snippet time frame as there are multiple points within the videos.

Sin B

2017 blows
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Shall I say the enitre video or what snippet time frame as there are multiple points within the videos.
Snippets. You have no basis to fair use his own commentary, just the parts with your own videos.

Shakycow

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
He only uses small snippets so you'd likely have a hard time getting him on copyright usage, but, because of his content, you could flag him under YouTube's 'Harassment and cyberbullying' rules.

YouTube's guidelines state-

Harassment may include :

• Abusive videos, comments, messages
  • Revealing someone’s personal information
  • Maliciously recording someone without their consent
  • Deliberately posting content in order to humiliate someone
  • Making hurtful and negative comments/videos about another person
  • Unwanted sexualization, which encompasses sexual harassment or sexual bullying in any form
  • Incitement to harass other users or creators
Arguments can easily be made that he violates a few of those.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
If he's using your vid without permission, even just parts of it, I would flag it for copyright infringement. It is your right to do so and then it's up to him to plead his case and up to YouTube to make the decision.

Shakycow

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
If he's using your vid without permission, even just parts of it, I would flag it for copyright infringement. It is your right to do so and then it's up to him to plead his case and up to YouTube to make the decision.
The problem with that is that, if he were to dispute it and say it's fair use, the options going forward would be limited outside of attempting to go to court and have them decide.

It is, on the other hand, a blatant example of a video deliberately attempting to humiliate another channel with negative and hurtful comments...which is something YouTube will do something about and doesn't involve the grey area of copyright law.

Reactions: Crown

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
The problem with that is that, if he were to dispute it and say it's fair use, the options going forward would be limited outside of attempting to go to court and have them decide.

It is, on the other hand, a blatant example of a video deliberately attempting to humiliate another channel with negative and hurtful comments...which is something YouTube will do something about and doesn't involve the grey area of copyright law.

I agree that the harassment angle has more chance of success. But for me, it's more about firing a warning shot not to touch my content, regardless of harassment or him saying he's a big fan fan. I think it sends a very strong message that you value and protect your own work.

Reactions: Shakycow