I think I found a new YouTube algorithm change

SkidRowTrash

Hey everyone,

Happy New Years!. I just noticed something yesterday and checked it again today and wanted to mention it. Maybe you all can help me confirm it even, it may not be true and could be coincidence.

Anyways, on my YouTube channels page in the "Related Channels" section to the right of the videos I used to always have big name YouTubers in there. Markiplier, JackSepticEye, JimSterling, TotalBiscuit etc etc. There would only ever be accounts with large subscriber bases recommended, like 200K - 15M sub accounts.

As of yesterday I just happened to notice it's different. I am not seeing big name's in there, it's now unknown ones with similar subscriber counts to my own, I'm just under 1.3k myself. I'm seeing, 3, 283, 1K, 1K, 229, 14K. whereas before it would be 225K, 2M, 8M, 15M.

What do you all think, could they have changed the related channels algorithm to suggest channels that are closer to your own "level"? Check out your related channels suggestions and see if they are different than normal, if they are closer to what you have in terms of subscribers.

It could all just be some coincidence but it seems like something has changed. Anyways, just an observation I thought I'd pass along.

- Skid Row Trash

Not really. At least I don't see it in mine.

Mine seems to be consistent with the exception of suddenly getting PewDiePie there since 2-3 days ago. I don't get why he'd be there to be honest as I'm not a gaming channel and I don't think we have anything in common either.

What you see in the right sidebar is based on your past immediate viewing habits. If you go and look at 20 videos about "skinning cats", your sidebar will be full of those videos. You must have been watching/researching a bunch of smaller channel (perhaps even...wait for it... s4subbing... hehehe... kidding), to now have small channels show up in there. The algo is super intelligent - it assumes what you just watched, you want to watch more of, mixed in with a little bit of randomness.

What you're seeing is YouTube is trying to help you out by suggesting channels that make the same kind of "Content" you make on your channel. This is good for Youtube because if I happen to like your work the related channels on your page "might" be similar so I might spend some time watching their content as well. This is good for you as well meaning YouTube is now promoting your channel on other peoples homepage because you fit a particular "Category". It's not new it's been in effect for years.

If you look at themed channels you'll notice all their related channels are similar in category as well.

What you see in the right sidebar is based on your past immediate viewing habits. If you go and look at 20 videos about "skinning cats", your sidebar will be full of those videos. You must have been watching/researching a bunch of smaller channel (perhaps even...wait for it... s4subbing... hehehe... kidding), to now have small channels show up in there. The algo is super intelligent - it assumes what you just watched, you want to watch more of, mixed in with a little bit of randomness.
Hahahaha

It's looking like it might be coincidence but actually I haven't changed my viewing habits at all and I mainly watch large channels because I don't know of any small channels. I'm not sure what caused it to change. Also I don't do shady stuff like spam or sub4sub or any of that garbage. One thing I did do that is different recently is I started a FB account and have been adding "friends". While this isn't related to YouTube, maybe FB and YT trade some data back and fourth and possibly that's what caused it?? I'm really not sure, I've done nothing different myself.

Anyways thanks for checking and letting me know if you'd noticed anything.

I have heard that there is a change, but I'm not sure what that change is yet. I would be interested to find out tbh! However, i think what you can see is the suggested videos. Maybe leave us all a screenshot so we can see where you are referring too!:)

Yeah I think YouTube is trying to promote the smaller YouTubers but that is only my though. I also think it varies from person to person.

Back