I think I found a good way of getting subscribers, but is it legal?

Paperblossem

Reaction score
You see, when somebody subscribes to my channel I get an Email notification. So I expect other people to receive the same Emails.

I make videos about The Netherlands, Dutch culture and my lifestyle in this country.

I was thinking:
If I go to the comment section of YouTube videos that are about The Netherlands and subscribe to people there - and I'm talking about people who have like 2 to 20 subscribers who aren't active YouTubers but do actively watch videos - they will get Email notifications about me subscribing to them, they will get curious who I am and some of them might want to subscribe to my channel.

I know that Instagram has an algorithm that prevents people from following 100 people or more in 1 hour and I know that if they do spam people they will get a strike. And YouTube has kind of like the same system. So if I subscribe to 10 people in 10 minutes, do you think I'll be safe?

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

SvenInMotion

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
It is not "illegal" in the sense of breaking law, but it is probably violating some rules, although I dont know which, I just speak based on the fact that most platforms have rules against spammy activities such as mass subscribing/following etc.

Be aware though, not everyone receive emails for getting subscribers, people usually unsubscribe from youtube's emails right away or set it up so that they dont receive emails from getting new subscribers.

You're better off commenting to other people who comment by genuinely engaging with what they're saying. Good luck!

Reactions: Paperblossem

Kyonite

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Comedian
I don't think you're breaking any rules at all, but I don't think it's really a viable way to get subscribers and it's not really an honest way of finding an audience if you know what I mean. Even if it does work, it's not really heavily respected. I don't think you should do it, but I'm pretty sure it technically is legal

Paperblossem

Reaction score
I don't think you're breaking any rules at all, but I don't think it's really a viable way to get subscribers and it's not really an honest way of finding an audience if you know what I mean. Even if it does work, it's not really heavily respected. I don't think you should do it, but I'm pretty sure it technically is legal
Looking at it from that perspective I agree with you. I shouldn't do it because I don't want to be reminded like that if I ever get big. [emoji28]

Reactions: Kyonite

Paperblossem

Reaction score
Not illegal and probably not breaking any rules but I doubt that it's an effective strategy. Other creators are not really your target market. They're way too busy working on their own videos.
Well, the idea was to subscribe to the people in the comment section of the creator's videos. Then I subscribe to people who don't create content but do watch videos of other people so they might subscribe to me. But looking at the comments of other people, it might ruin my reputation so I won't do it.

Southpaw27

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I enjoyed YT so much, which is why I started making my own content as a hobby. I've found that watching and leaving genuine commenting gets you more involved in the community and can sometimes raise awareness about your channel because viewers may see my comments and then come check me out on their own. However, I never say anything about my channel in my comments. Also, by being more engaged, I've even started building some friendships IRL from those I've met in YT, which is fun too!

Ephlik Audio

Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
People absolutely have been doing this as a ''strategy'' already. We're talking about the platform that came up with ''Sub4Sub'' in 2005 lol.
This is Sub4Sub's child that can't speak yet. And then Sub4Sub's cousin will leave you a fake support comment pretending they watched your video.