I Sound Fake in My Videos

BrettTaylorYT

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
Whenever I record I sound like I'm reading from a script. It doesn't sound natural when I speak. I have no idea why, but whenever I film a vlog I sound extremely fake, how do I not sound like I'm reading a script. I don't know how to stop it. I don't even notice I'm doing it until I rewatch the footage, and by that point I can't reshoot. Anybody else have this problem? Any Tips

Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
Hey man, I had this issue as well and still do at times. The best you can do is to keep creating and your personality will naturally come out. It took me about 500 videos for that to happen. Focus more on the quality of the content you produce rather than your personality. If you are a vlogger, then it is a different story.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
You're probably overly conscious that you're talking to a camera and being recorded. Try to forget about the camera and mic and instead pretend that you're talking to a close friend or family member who is in the room with you. You could even put a photo of that person just above and behind the camera so you can see them. That should help you to relax and talk with a normal voice that isn't monotone and that sounds interested in what tou're saying.

Also, make sure you aren't reading from a script. Just have a list of bullet points that you want to cover but don't write a script. Good luck. :)

UhoohExtra

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
It's unlikely you will get this right 1st time. For some people including me it doesn't come naturally and is really hard work. it's a skill you have to learn. Assuming you do have a script? You gotta do it over and over and over.. and maybe take multiple recording stitching together the best bits. Google 'tonality in sales' .. ignore that it's sales stuff. It's an appropriate skill you can apply to your videos. Also.. try not to talk under your breath or to yourself. Project your voice looking at/towards an object a few feet away pretending it's a person. If you're doing live recording that you have to just get right first time then I dunno how much of above you can apply. Good luck.

ThatShabbyGuy

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
Let that camera become a part of your body and forget it is there.

Have you ever had a great convo with someone where you were both excited about the subject at hand? Pretend that that person is with you, hanging on to your every word, and talk like you have his/hers attention.

It will be bumpy and awkward at first but remember when you are recording that you're the only one there. No one will see your mistakes unless you make a blooper reel. ;)

If you start to say something awkward, dont even stop recording. Just stop yourself, reset your camera position and repeat yourself until you like how it sounds. Doesnt matter if it is 10 times with 5 "f**k!" frustration comments in the middle.

When you go to edit, listen to and watch all of them. Critique yourself personally, take mental notes for next time, and go with the one you're happy with.

The more you do this, the less takes you will have to do, or at least give zero s***s about how you sound, knowing you're gonna get it right eventually.

My personal method and I'm still fairly new. Hope this helps.

Switchbox

Give me your food
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Gamer, Commentator, Other
Practice, practice, pratice! :D
You WILL get better, it just takes time. Push yourself. Step out of your comfort zone. Just fill yourself with positive energy and just make the best content you can make!