I need your help! Loss of will to record after a long day at work

Dave2017

Get The Picture?
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think everyone knows this problem:) It doesnt matter if you want to work on a Youtube channel, learn to cook or to get fit. If you have a long and hard work day motivation can be hard to find later in the day. It sounds like you are VERY busy dude so you got to make a choice what you want to do with your time. I think you will get burned out if you try to fit more in your schedule...

Reactions: BeardyVlogs

YouTube4x4

I've Got It
Reaction score
As somebody that's part of corporate America with a high stress / deadline driven job I go thru the same thing during the week, some days I am drained. I have been getting better at it by being more selective on YouTube tasks I plan for say Monday-Wednesday, which are usually my worst days. Saturday mornings are usually the days when I write my scripts since I am more energized. Music helps. All this YouTube and cool camera stuff actually helps me stop thinking about other work BS.

Also, I am usually more productive first thing in the morning so every now and then I just wake up early and spend an hour on YouTube stuff. Maybe try switching the gym to the afternoon every now and then and see what works for you. I have made a commitment to myself of uploading once a week at least, once you get into the routine it becomes a habit.

BeardyVlogs

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
So there is time. I work full time Mon-Fri 9-5.30 / 2 hour commute daily / Married with 2 children + 2 dogs + 1 cat + 2 fish / Healthy social life and I still manage 20+hours per week to 'YouTube'
I rarely just sit about watching TV.. Where you are watching TV - I am working.
Mr Evo, unsure if you read my post wrong but i didnt actually say that i didnt have the time. i was looking for advice on losing drive to record after a long tiring day.

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Mr Evo, unsure if you read my post wrong but i didnt actually say that i didnt have the time. i was looking for advice on losing drive to record after a long tiring day.
YouTube is not for everyone mate. After everything I do I always have the drive for YouTube. In fact most days I wish there was more hours in the day.
Perhaps take up a different hobby that you naturally have drive for. Dont force YouTube as it will show in your video.

BeardyVlogs

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I think everyone knows this problem:) It doesnt matter if you want to work on a Youtube channel, learn to cook or to get fit. If you have a long and hard work day motivation can be hard to find later in the day. It sounds like you are VERY busy dude so you got to make a choice what you want to do with your time. I think you will get burned out if you try to fit more in your schedule...
Appreciate the comment my man! I think you are right about burn out. I have been nearly falling asleep at work a lot lately :sleep: But at the same time, i know there are people that do a lot more than i do. maybe then instead of fitting more in my schedule, i could replace things?

BeardyVlogs

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
As somebody that's part of corporate America with a high stress / deadline driven job I go thru the same thing during the week, some days I am drained. I have been getting better at it by being more selective on YouTube tasks I plan for say Monday-Wednesday, which are usually my worst days. Saturday mornings are usually the days when I write my scripts since I am more energized. Music helps. All this YouTube and cool camera stuff actually helps me stop thinking about other work BS.

Also, I am usually more productive first thing in the morning so every now and then I just wake up early and spend an hour on YouTube stuff. Maybe try switching the gym to the afternoon every now and then and see what works for you. I have made a commitment to myself of uploading once a week at least, once you get into the routine it becomes a habit.
Now that is what i call i great reply! Thanks buddy. Being selective about your youtube tasks on harder days is a good idea. I shall give doing youtube stuff early in the morning a go too. It wouldnt be possible for me to go gym in the afternoons BUT if i wake up at the same time i would on a gym day, when im not going to the gym, i could use that extra time in the morning to do youtube stuff when im all fresh. Fantastic idea! Thanks man

BeardyVlogs

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
YouTube is not for everyone mate. After everything I do I always have the drive for YouTube. In fact most days I wish there was more hours in the day.
Perhaps take up a different hobby that you naturally have drive for. Dont force YouTube as it will show in your video.
Oh i agree completely! I wouldnt say im forcing youtube though. i love making videos. and i enjoy it even more showing a friend what ive made...i feel kind of proud! Apart form if its come out not great, then i beat myself up a bit ha! Its just hard sometimes if im practically falling asleep whilst reading a bedtime story with my 4 year old. Sure i could get the camera out but i dont think i would make a very good video in that state! Someone commented about trying to do youtube stuff early in the morning which i thought was a great idea. If im losing drive late night cos of being tired etc, then makes sense to get it done first thing when im all eager and ready to go!

wchap001

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
YO! so straight to the point. Does anyone have any advice on fighting through the urge to just chill out after a long day?

Let me paint the scene for ya really quick.
-Wake at 4am, go gym then straight to work after, finish work around 6pm, get home around 7pm. In bed by around 9/10.

So throughout the day at work, im getting myself hyped and excited about youtube, making new videos etc. comes time to head home and im still eager to get filming. Make it home, spend bit of time with my kid before putting him to bed and having dinner. Leaves me with 1-2 hours to sort food for the next day, spend time with girlfriend and record/edit or just chill.

Don't get me wrong, with a little time management i could easily do it BUT my problem is, after a long day and by the time my 'free time' comes around, I simply lose all drive to record. Mind starts playing games with me, making excuses...too late to record that kind of video...cant be too loud cos kid is in bed...no space to set up my light...dunno what to record etc.

Does anyone have any experience in this sort of situation and/or can offer some advice on the matter. THANKS!!

So I can relate when I had a gaming channel. My offroad channel is a bit different because it comes naturally to me, and I enjoy it! so I always film when I ride, even when I was not doing YT. I enjoy watching myself and it is like a hobby for me. I always feel like recording where I ride and see. I actually have so many videos pending to be scheduled that I stopped editing and I still find myself wanting to edit my dirtbike videos.

HOWEVER with my gaming channel (when I had one), which I did get burned out on. weird, because even though I love gaming, I did not enjoy filming it. it felt like WORK. Much like you get, I get home, i had little time to get ready for recording and do the other things I like, (spend time with the wife, just enjoy gaming w/o recording or the hassle of it) By the time I got home, I just didnt want to do anything and I would lose the motivation to record....and it came back to it feeling like "work" and I get what you are feeling.

When I decided to just do dirtbiking and offroad, was just much easier for me and came naturally. It did not feel like work. and I ALWAYS recorded before youtube. Why I did not do this 2 years ago? no idea why. From my experiences, try to find a "time" where it just feels natural and not like work. I get what you are feeling bc I went through it when gaming 2 years ago. Not going to lie, a lot of people get burned out filming and I see why. you need to have a like and passion for it.

If I did not have dirtbiking or offroading, I think I just would have been burned out on anything I did when I got home. So You might need to figure out that "special time" where recording just comes natural and does not feel like work, if you cant, you might need to find some kind of vlog but with a hobby where recording is natural and fun.

hopefully this makes sense. best way I can explain is, like someone who enjoys videoagraphy, photography and they just do it for fun and dont posts stuff on YT. Or the person recording themselves hiking. tons of people do it and dont post it on YT because its just fun seeing the places youve been. dont know its hard to explain its just a feeling. like I love videography and filming and I love gaming! but trying to game and record was work for me and not fun WHEN I got home. see on my spare time, my hobby is dirtbiking and going to the gym...some people is bowling, hiking, diving, etc.

Krisfire

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Director
I'm here with you man, I got a wife with a kid on the way with a few pets. it's hard to be able to record and edit after a long day. Something that's helped me a lot is just taking time and setting it aside for video work. I mostly have late shifts (12 pm to 9 pm or 1 pm to 10 pm,) so by the time I get home I'm just done. So what I did was when I get up in the morning I get coffee and just go to the computer and for an hour or two I just work on editing or I record a video (While I have fresh energy) and after that few hours I go chill with the wife and get ready for work. after work I might plan some video stuff for the morning but I just mostly chill and go to sleep.

Obviously that exact schedule wont work for you but setting aside time for video specifically and not compromising (Unless really needed) really helps with it.

As for motivation and energy... caffeine is a drug of choice of me and videographers everywhere lol.

BeardyVlogs

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
So I can relate when I had a gaming channel. My offroad channel is a bit different because it comes naturally to me, and I enjoy it! so I always film when I ride, even when I was not doing YT. I enjoy watching myself and it is like a hobby for me. I always feel like recording where I ride and see. I actually have so many videos pending to be scheduled that I stopped editing and I still find myself wanting to edit my dirtbike videos.

HOWEVER with my gaming channel (when I had one), which I did get burned out on. weird, because even though I love gaming, I did not enjoy filming it. it felt like WORK. Much like you get, I get home, i had little time to get ready for recording and do the other things I like, (spend time with the wife, just enjoy gaming w/o recording or the hassle of it) By the time I got home, I just didnt want to do anything and I would lose the motivation to record....and it came back to it feeling like "work" and I get what you are feeling.

When I decided to just do dirtbiking and offroad, was just much easier for me and came naturally. It did not feel like work. and I ALWAYS recorded before youtube. Why I did not do this 2 years ago? no idea why. From my experiences, try to find a "time" where it just feels natural and not like work. I get what you are feeling bc I went through it when gaming 2 years ago. Not going to lie, a lot of people get burned out filming and I see why. you need to have a like and passion for it.

If I did not have dirtbiking or offroading, I think I just would have been burned out on anything I did when I got home. So You might need to figure out that "special time" where recording just comes natural and does not feel like work, if you cant, you might need to find some kind of vlog but with a hobby where recording is natural and fun.

hopefully this makes sense. best way I can explain is, like someone who enjoys videoagraphy, photography and they just do it for fun and dont posts stuff on YT. Or the person recording themselves hiking. tons of people do it and dont post it on YT because its just fun seeing the places youve been. dont know its hard to explain its just a feeling. like I love videography and filming and I love gaming! but trying to game and record was work for me and not fun WHEN I got home. see on my spare time, my hobby is dirtbiking and going to the gym...some people is bowling, hiking, diving, etc.
Thanks for the lengthy reply buddy! And yes it makes sense don't worry haha. Thats interesting though, like it makes me think 'do i do it for fun or does it feel like work' and i gotta say, it doesnt feel like work at all. Im always recording stuff for the joy of recording stuff...95% of stuff i record never gets made in to a video. TBH the only reason i started uploading to youtube was to have somewhere to store my videos so i started putting together the best bits sort of thing. Whereas now, im more in to editing and trying to get better at vlogging. I enjoy the whole process. I did try recording at the gym one time cos i enjoy the gym but getting past stage fright was hard enough and the times i managed to get past it, it just seemed like a lot of effort trying to find the right spot to put the camera, get tripod out etc...and that made my workouts less enjoyable so i stopped. I think im pretty safe in knowing that i do enjoy what i do now and it dont feel like work.

Thats cool you managed to find something so easy and natural for you to record though. Shame about your gaming channel! i appreciate you well thought out response brother! Is your channel linked on your account? id be interested to take a look at your offroad videos!