I need help

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
i got a message from this girl on my twitter she wants to use my latest video. I looked it up before before I made the video and no one had that idea. She asked me if she can use that exact idea and she wants to use the same words I used. I told her no, but she is going to do it anyway what do I do?

Maxemole

Resident Potato
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Screenshot the chat. Can probably go through YouTube support and do something about it.

Then again, everything falls under fair use. I'm not sure. I would ask them about it.

Eyan

Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
From what I understand this is a copyright issue.
Now there is this really complicated US law (even if you live outside the US, this applies to you, because YouTube is an American company) called "fair use," and as stated by copylaw.com;

"Fair use allows scholars, researchers and others to borrow or use small portions of in-copyright works for socially productive purposes without seeking permission. The doctrine -- which complements the First Amendment -- helps courts avoid rigid application of copyright law where rigid application would "stifle the very creativity which the law is designed to foster." Against this backdrop, fair use can be looked at as a balancing act. It is an imperfect attempt to reconcile the competing ideals of free speech with the property rights of individual creators. Fair use recognizes that the reason for our nation's copyright laws is not so much for individual creators, but, rather to promote the progress of art and science."

I'm not going to go much further because copyright is complicated, but in layman's terms that pretty much means that as long as what they make is transformative in some way, it falls under fair use. (i.e. parody, commentary, etc.) Now, as much as it pains me to say this, a good example of fair use is Minecraft parodies, where they take the original song, change the lyrics and main idea of the song- thus transforming it- and make something new out of it.

Now, if they outright copy you without adding their own spin, this is called copyright infringement. If you feel that someone is infringing on your copyright, you can report their video like so:

That will take you to a handy dandy form you fill out and send to YouTube so they can either take down the video or not based off if it falls under fair use. (Sorry I couldn't post any more pictures, spam copyright claims can get you in trouble) So be careful how you use this tool. It's a privilege, and like any privilege, it can be taken away.

Sorry you're having this issue and I hope this mess of a response helps you out.

Last edited:

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Screenshot the chat. Can probably go through YouTube support and do something about it.

Then again, everything falls under fair use. I'm not sure. I would ask them about it.
Thank you! If she uses the exact same words word for word, I thought that's not covered under fair use?

Reactions: Maxemole

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
From what I understand this is a copyright issue.
Now there is this really complicated US law called "fair use," and as stated by copylaw.com;

"Fair use allows scholars, researchers and others to borrow or use small portions of in-copyright works for socially productive purposes without seeking permission. The doctrine -- which complements the First Amendment -- helps courts avoid rigid application of copyright law where rigid application would "stifle the very creativity which the law is designed to foster." Against this backdrop, fair use can be looked at as a balancing act. It is an imperfect attempt to reconcile the competing ideals of free speech with the property rights of individual creators. Fair use recognizes that the reason for our nation's copyright laws is not so much for individual creators, but, rather to promote the progress of art and science."

Now I'm not going to go much further because copyright is complicated, but in layman's terms that pretty much means that as long as what they make is transformative in some way, it falls under fair use. (i.e. parody, commentary, etc.) Now, as much as it pains me to say this, a good example of fair use is Minecraft parodies, where they take the original song, change the lyrics and main idea of the song- thus transforming it- and making something new out of it.

Now if they outright copy you without adding their own spin, this is called copyright infringement. If you feel that someone is infringing on your copyright, you can report their video like so:

That will take you to a handy dandy form you fill out and send to YouTube so they can either take down the video or not based off if it falls under fair use. (Sorry I couldn't post any more pictures, but spam copyright claims can get you in trouble) So be careful how you use this tool. It's a privilege, and like any privilege, it can be taken away.

Sorry you're having this issue and I hope this mess of a response helps you out.
Okay thank you she wants to use the same exact words I used in the video. What do when I put my original music out there how do I stop people from stealing it and claiming it as their own?

Eyan

Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
Submit the report, that's all you can do without pressing charges. If you don't want people stealing your own music, let them know- either in the description or the video itself -that you do not give permission for people to use your music without asking. Or vice versa, let them know you're okay with it as long as they credit you. Just make sure it's your own original music you're telling them not to use.

Anything you make is considered your intellectual property, thus it is protected by copyright.
I probably cant explain this as well as other people, so I'd look this one up.

Last edited:

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
D
Submit the report, that's all you can do without pressing charges. If you don't want people stealing your own music, let them know- either in the description or the video itself -that you do not give permission for people to use your music without asking. Or vice versa, let them know you're okay with it as long as they credit you. Just make sure it's your own original music you're telling them not to use.

Anything you make (that isn't physical, like a character or a song) is considered your intellectual property, thus it is protected by copyright.
I probably cant explain this as well as other people, so I'd look this one up.
do I need to pay to get my songs copyrighted or is automatically mine?

Eyan

Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
As I said, anything you make is considered your intellectual property, thus it is protected by copyright. It's trademark you have to pay for, but I don't know much else about it then that. You will never have to pay for copyright. Heck, you dont even need to register things for copyright. As soon as you make it, it's yours and exclusively yours for the next 120 years. Unless you give someone else permission to use it, or publicly declare it as CC0 (Meaning that you waive all your legal rights from the copyrighted work, and put it in the public domain.) Anything in the public domain is considered free to use, by anyone, at any time, for any reason. For example that's where Disney gets their movie ideas from. Fairy tales like Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty have been in the public domain for ages.

Anyhow, If you have any more questions about copyright feel free to let me know.

Last edited:

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
As I said, anything you make (that isn't physical) is considered your intellectual property, thus it is protected by copyright. It's trademark you have to pay for, but I don't know much else about it then that. You will never have to pay for copyright. Heck, you dont even need to register things for copyright. As soon as you make it, it's yours and exclusively yours for the next 120 years. Unless you give someone else permission to use it, or publicly declare it as CC0 (Meaning that you waive all your legal rights from the copyrighted work, and put it in the public domain.) Anything in the public domain is considered free to use, by anyone, at any time, for any reason. For example that's where Disney gets their movie ideas from. Fairy tales like Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty have been in the public domain for ages.

Anyhow, If you have any more questions about copyright feel free to let me know.
Okay! thanks for information! :)