I need a new mic for outdoor on camera use? What do you use and like?

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Well, I have been using the Ride ViceoMicro for a couple years and it has been good, but I have wanted something better. Just FYI. If you own the same mic, DON'T DROP IT! It will Break. Yep, you guessed it. I broke my mic. :( But now I get to get a new one. :dance:

I want something better than the VideoMicro, I am just not sure what. I shoot a lot outdoors and it is almost always windy where I am. Let me know what you use and like. TIA

Magic Pete

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Regarding your enquiry about video mics suitable for outdoor use. This really is a vast subject depending on what you need it for. However, I will tell you what I have used for many, many years and it’s still available today. It’s a quality and reliable outfit that has never let me down The basic mic is a Sennheiser MKE 600. A shotgun mic. With it I have a Rycote ‘furry cat’ windshield that can slip on and off for use in breezy conditions.

It’s basic camera connection fitting is XLR so, depending on the input socket of your camera, you may need to get an adaptor cable. Normally I use the mic on the camera but I also have extension cables so that the mic can be placed nearer to (say) a talker at a distance from the camera. I also have a Rycote hand grip so that the talker or presenter can hold the mic in shot whilst maybe doing an interview. The mic can be powered with an AA battery or without battery if your camera supplies phantom power. My camera does so I have never used a battery.

I also have a Sennheiser wireless kit that plugs in directly to the mic, with a wireless receiver on the camera. This is quite a very old model but up-to-date models are available. Sennheiser SKP 500 G4 plug-on.

It must be admitted that Sennheiser is not the cheapest kit available and, as you know, the company Rode supply equivalent kit at much lower prices. Many other well known companies also supply equivalent equipment.

I hope this is of interest and you can search on-line for all of the Sennheiser range. Pete

Reactions: Jungle Explorer