I may need to make a new channel with a new name

Pherret

Reaction score
Hello I'm new to the forum and I'm not sure if this is the right category for my question. If it's not I'm sorry. I have been at Youtube for about two years and I'm still really small time (I wasn't using tags and my channel description was really stupid) I have found that the handle that I have been using (I call myself Minion) was already taken by at least two established You-Tubers. (those being LordMinion777 and a streamer called Minion Plays) I have a whole 15 subscribers and they are all friends and family so making a new channel or changing my channel name would be easy. My question is would that be necessary? I really like my handle and I have found it difficult to find a new one? I could use some advice thanks.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Moved to the branding / design forum. :)

If you like the name, then keep it. But since "Minion" is quite a common word (in gaming), then it's not surprising there are other variations of it. You'll never be the only version of "Minion" - My advice would be to research now possible custom URLs based on "Minion" to see what is available and maybe change your "text name to that in readiness so that your text name and branding will match the custom URL.

SvenInMotion

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
I'd change it. One of the most important things on youtube is to be original or at least as original as possible. And it starts with the channel name. If there are 2 big channels with those names that means that you would have to surpass them in subs and whatnot before you start showing up first when someone searches your name, which wont help your channel.
Mix it up and see if you can find a different and maybe even better name. (tho I wont lie, Minion is a cool name, but all the cool ones are risky :/ )
Hope this helps mate!

Pherret

Reaction score
Thank you for your advice I'll think of something. My second question is should I make a new channel entirely or should I just change the name of my current channel?

Last edited:
Reactions: ChrisLegend

ChrisLegend

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Like others have suggested perhaps a derivative of Minions would work out really well. I would just change your channel name if I were you. No need to start a new one altogether

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hello I'm new to the forum and I'm not sure if this is the right category for my question. If it's not I'm sorry. I have been at Youtube for about two years and I'm still really small time (I wasn't using tags and my channel description was really stupid) I have found that the handle that I have been using (I call myself Minion) was already taken by at least two established You-Tubers. (those being LordMinion777 and a streamer called Minion Plays) I have a whole 15 subscribers and they are all friends and family so making a new channel or changing my channel name would be easy. My question is would that be necessary? I really like my handle and I have found it difficult to find a new one? I could use some advice thanks.
You don't have to get a new channel, you can change your channel name instead. You can add tags to your old videos and also change your channel description.