I just finished a Channel Trailer for my YouTube Channel!

Baylze

Overwatch YouTuber
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hey guys. This is the third trailer I've made for my channel, but this is definitely the one that holds the highest production value. It's somewhere between a welcome video and a highlight reel, and I persoanlyl am happy with how it came out.

I'd love some outsider feedback though, whether positive or negative!

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
Good quality, but these are the two things i would change:
1) i doubt anyone cares it's the 3rd trailer you've made, I would take that part out
2) TOO LONG .. I think a good trailer should be short, quick, to the point. Mine is 43 seconds

Famous

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
At four minutes it's not a trailer, it's a video anthology.
The first segment from 0 to 38 seconds I thought it was ok, very one-on-one/engaging with the audience... had a good feel.
The beginning of the second segment at 39 seconds was repetitive... Two welcomes is one too many.
But the second segment as a whole, from 39 to 58 seconds was awesome. The way you brought the energy level up over its course was phenomenal.
Then at 59 second the whole video fell flat. Very anticlimactic... I got bored, started skipping around.
And the end starting at 3:45 was abruptly down tempo. Good, but the music was creepy.

If you don't mind the opinion, I think starting with your second segment would be the best hook, then moving to action based game sequences/reactions etc. with a beat drop and keeping the music going with your game/reaction audio behind it to keep the energy level up for 15 to 30 seconds, then finish with a massive reduction in music volume, making the beat background music and inserting your 3:45 outro would make a stellar Trailer. Maybe replace the "Channel Trailer" art in your outro with "Subscribe" would be less redundant and a better use of screen space but... you've got the bones of an awesome trailer... just need to cut out the fat. Good stuff though.

Gamingskhan

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I'm going to state my opinion, I think other people have said the same stuff I have to say but the more opinions the merrier. First of all, good job, but there's a definitely some improvements to be made.
  1. You don't need the trailer to be that long. Anywhere from 30 seconds to one minute is ideal.
  2. No one really cares it's your third trailer, for the better or worse.
  3. Shorten the video title. It doesn't need to be that long. Just keep it to Baylze Channel Trailer or something similar. I don't think it's needed, but a small channel it's better to go shorter but beefier to keep your videos interested.
Otherwise, I think it's pretty good. Good luck with your channel!

Baylze

Overwatch YouTuber
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Good quality, but these are the two things i would change:
1) i doubt anyone cares it's the 3rd trailer you've made, I would take that part out
2) TOO LONG .. I think a good trailer should be short, quick, to the point. Mine is 43 seconds
Hey dude, thanks for the response!

Yeah, trailer is probably just the traditional generic term I chose to use here for 'First video potential subscribers see', It's definitely more in the form of a montage type of thing (hence it's length). I only stated that this was the third trailer because I used to be solely based on Overwatch, and the previous two trailers were OW primarily too! Thanks for the response dude. ^^

At four minutes it's not a trailer, it's a video anthology.
The first segment from 0 to 38 seconds I thought it was ok, very one-on-one/engaging with the audience... had a good feel.
The beginning of the second segment at 39 seconds was repetitive... Two welcomes is one too many.
But the second segment as a whole, from 39 to 58 seconds was awesome. The way you brought the energy level up over its course was phenomenal.
Then at 59 second the whole video fell flat. Very anticlimactic... I got bored, started skipping around.
And the end starting at 3:45 was abruptly down tempo. Good, but the music was creepy.

If you don't mind the opinion, I think starting with your second segment would be the best hook, then moving to action based game sequences/reactions etc. with a beat drop and keeping the music going with your game/reaction audio behind it to keep the energy level up for 15 to 30 seconds, then finish with a massive reduction in music volume, making the beat background music and inserting your 3:45 outro would make a stellar Trailer. Maybe replace the "Channel Trailer" art in your outro with "Subscribe" would be less redundant and a better use of screen space but... you've got the bones of an awesome trailer... just need to cut out the fat. Good stuff though.
This is a really helpful response @Famous, thank you dude!

It definitely is a video anthology haha, like I said above, 'trailer' is just the word I used because generically it means 'first video people are gonna see', but by definition - this is definitely too long for that xD.

The second segment thing (or the like progressive logos/intros) was supposed to represent my channel's progression thus far. The Mei winter gameplay was the intro to my first ever video, then my first intro, second intro, third intro, and current intro. I definitely can see that it seems a bit repetitive now that somebody has said it, though!

I wish I could keep the energy consistently for the entire trailer (as you said from 39-58 seconds), but not many of the games I play provoke as much adrenaline as cheap horror jumpscares :p! The transition from 3:45 into the facecam again was definitely abrupt now that you mention it, hopefully it recovered slightly as the music 'dropped' again with the outro screen coming up. Also, creepy? :eek: - First time I've heard that adjective to describe this music!

The narrative you suggest in your opinion may definitely work better. Keeping it shorter, using big reactions/action sequences, and then having a small monologue at the end would likely fit better for purpose on this occasion (i.e. for a trailer). I'll likely use this formula you suggested next time!

Thank you so much for the in-depth response man, I appreciate how you broke down the whole video and critiqued in sections. :)

I'm going to state my opinion, I think other people have said the same stuff I have to say but the more opinions the merrier. First of all, good job, but there's a definitely some improvements to be made.
  1. You don't need the trailer to be that long. Anywhere from 30 seconds to one minute is ideal.
  2. No one really cares it's your third trailer, for the better or worse.
  3. Shorten the video title. It doesn't need to be that long. Just keep it to Baylze Channel Trailer or something similar. I don't think it's needed, but a small channel it's better to go shorter but beefier to keep your videos interested.
Otherwise, I think it's pretty good. Good luck with your channel!
Tip #1 noted! Thanks man.

I've shortened the title of the video too, thanks for that! Appreciate the kind words, too. :)

Famous

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
You're welcome dude!

On your next trailer, to keep the energy up after your progressive logos/intros, all you'd need is some house or techno music with a high Beat Per Minute (which is most house and techno music!) and to only use the gameplay and reaction sequences that you believe to be the very best of what's on your current Trailer. Having that sequence end with a boom or a crash, both visually and audibly, then the techno song drop into the background for your facecam would ease the transition. You've got all the parts of an awesome trailer, which is super cool. Nothing worse than having to rerecord!

The music on your facecam... I dunno, just... to me it sounded like something that'd play in the background after two people had a shag and a smoke!

HiMyNameIsDan

#crumbs
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Good production, but like the others said, it way too long 30 secs - 1 min long should be a trailer.

Dan

Jake Roman

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
The first 40 seconds is a a good "trailer" and the rest is a good "highlight reel" just make sure people know what they're getting from it.

velocity

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I think you spent too long telling everyone it's your 3rd trailer and that you changed your content. I don't think you needed to say that, just quickly and as effectively as possible show why they should sub to you in 2 minutes otherwise you've already lost them.