I haven't asked for feedback in a while...

Token

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Hello,

I was just wondering if you could check out a video for me and let me know what you think of it editing/script/lighting/color balance-wise. Also, I tried working with projectile liquid props. Let me know if there's anything I could improve on...it would be much appreciated!

Reactions: Michael

VlogRays

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I love the fact you can make fun of yourself. That always makes me laugh when someone does that. I thought this was really funny. Good to see 2 guys on a couch again.

JD´s World

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Director, Musician, Vlogger, Comedian, Gamer, Commentator
My 2 or 60 cents hehe

1. The lighting is off, the scene is quite dark. A simple soft white light or anything to light up the scene more (sunlight if all else fails) 3 point lighting for scenes is great. Background light, subject light and a soft extra light to take away the rest of the shadows... but that is for full on production so perhaps that is not for you, but maybe it is :)
2. What camera are you using? If it´s a web camera from logitech it should have a setting that is "Right Sound". Click that OFF as it makes the sound sound "tin can" like. If you don´t have such a web camera... then perhaps it´s a matter of tweaking the microphone somehow so that the "tin can" sound won´t be as noticeable.
3. The scripting was pretty good! Funny stuff with a hint of genuine real life situations.
4. The angle you recorded from was ok but I would have done it a bit more sideways, almost like from the perspective of guy 1 vs guy 2 mixed with the angles you used... but that is of course more production and editing hehe
5. Color correction will be much more of an issue with the better lighting as then the correction will be more "professional"

Overall it´s pretty good, just needs some tweaks... morbid subject though lol Suicide and what not :(

Jonathan

Michael

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I loved the script, it was really funny and its good how you referenced "Palmina" too lol I am very curious as to what happens next, you ended it well, it is like one of them films or series where you really want to know what happens next, does he die, do you do the same, it leaves us with some questions to think about after and that is great. Nice work Token :)

JD´s World

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
It´s called "a cliffhanger"... the term where an episode or series ends with you wanting to know how the story ends...
Hence the term "find out next time"... woot!

...segway lol

Jonathan

Michael

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It´s called "a cliffhanger"... the term where an episode or series ends with you wanting to know how the story ends...
Hence the term "find out next time"... woot!

...segway lol

Jonathan
That's it, I really need to learn my terminology :D

Token

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Thanks for the wonderful feedback, Jonathan! Good to know my scripts are at least pretty good.

The crappy thing is I had to actually darken most of the footage, cuz I use a really crappy bloggie camera to film, so basically it automatically autofocuses and autocolor corrects itself, which led to disastrous results...so it's good you couldn't tell the difference.
Lighting is something I'm working on...I really have to just ask myself what I want first: Lights, a new camera, or Adobe Premiere Pro. Also, I put out videos every Monday and Wednesday, and I only had time to film Tuesday night...but now I'm just making excuses. Lol.\

If you don't mind, could you elaborate on what you meant by "angles?"

Thanks!

Token
--- merged: Mar 22, 2012 12:43 AM ---
I love the fact you can make fun of yourself. That always makes me laugh when someone does that. I thought this was really funny. Good to see 2 guys on a couch again.
Yea, I'm starting to get more confident in my skin again, whereas before I was too afraid to even show my face on camera...you'll see more, most definitely!
--- merged: Mar 22, 2012 12:44 AM ---
I loved the script, it was really funny and its good how you referenced "Palmina" too lol I am very curious as to what happens next, you ended it well, it is like one of them films or series where you really want to know what happens next, does he die, do you do the same, it leaves us with some questions to think about after and that is great. Nice work Token :)
Lol! I never even thought about it being a cliffhanger. In my mind, he just pukes cuz he swallowed a bottle of aspirin, cuz that's basically what you do when you take too much aspirin, you either reject it or your liver hates you. ha.

JD´s World

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
The most important thing you could ever get is a new camera that has 720p/1080p HD recording capability. There are some really cheap webcams that offer it, make sure they are logitech because that company rules all! If you want something more expensive i.e more professional than a webcamera there are so many things available! It´s all about budget... There is no need to "break the bank" for "the best camera" because even the cheap camera can sometimes out run the perceived "best" camera.

Lights you can get away with pretty cheap if you go to any lights store (Home depo or what not) and find yourself some of those chinese/japanese rice lights, you know those balls of light made from rice/very thin white paper... those are excellent soft lights to film any scene with... Ball/globe shaped or even tower shaped... they are pretty cheap, around 15-30 bucks and they give you so much to work with!

Now, I don´t endorse pirating of software! You can get a free trial of Adobe Premiere from the Adobe website or you could go the "illegal" way and torrent it and when you finally save up for it BUY IT... but if things are rough money wise, pirate it, save money for some months and in the end BUY IT!

With angles I meant the following:
You had two angles for the whole sketch
Far view guy 1
Far view guy 2

What I would have liked to see is the following
Far view guy 1
Far view guy 2
close up guy 1
close up guy 2
First person view guy 1 towards guy 2 and vice versa

And then mix up those angles in the edit process, might take longer to tape it all but yea... For me it would engage me more as a viewer.

And from the looks of it, you would LOVE chroma key stuff! (green screen) duplicate yourself and such! Awesome stuff! Later times hehe

Hope any of that makes sense!

Jonathan

Token

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Oh yea, man. You and me are on the same wavelink!

I'm looking on actually directing as a profession. And those different angles are great and hopefully can be something I end up incorporating later, but as for now, I'm just starting up with things. I don't even have a good tripod for that.

As for cameras, I'm going to end up getting a canon t2i and probably end up moving to a 5D within the next 18 months, then come lenses and all that jazz. As for lights, I'd love to end up getting some LEDs, cuz of their high output but low voltage...I don't really like china ball lights because it's not as easy to maneuver them to get particular shots that I want. And for future videos that I plan on doing, they won't help out as much. Really, I want to evolve the channel into a place where I can experiment with test films so I can learn enough to eventually put out a full length film. So if you're up for it, I'd be really excited to see what you think of future projects!

And I've looked into it...it's REALLY hard pirating Premiere Pro, and I don't like how Elements works, so I'm just gonna move up to the big dog program first so I'll just have to worry about after effects after that.

And yea, if I had a program that could do chroma key stuff...it would already have been done! Lol.