I have some open questions about copyright and trademarks and i cant find answers anywhere

Ein Buch in 7 Minuten

Reaction score
Hey, maybe someone of you can help me.
It seems impossible to find clear answers to my questions and since i put a lot of work into my videos, i want to avoid having to delete them later:

1. When i use an image with an Creative Commons - Attribution license, WHERE do i have to put the name? Is it enough to put the name into the description box? At the end of it?

2. Can i show images of celebrities and politicians when i quote them or say something about them? Assuming i dont break any copyright law with the image itself.

3. Can i show trademarks of companies in my videos? My content is rarely about the company itself. For example i review a book about SELLING and mention how and why apple fans wait infront of an apple store for days. I visualize that with a building on which i put the original apple logo. Or i talk about how social media can be used to spy on people and show the logo of facebook and google.

4. When i use royalty free images from pixabay, is it necessary to make a screenshot of every single license to be safe, or can i save that time because its unlikely i will ever need them?

5. Is there anything else i have to keep in mind when doing anmited book reviews? I usualy summarize a whole book with all important points into 7 minutes.

Is there anyone who can help me? I would really appreciate that deeply

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
1- video descriptions or under the image in video 2-4 yes. 5- no

Yachts For Sale

Yachts For Sale
Reaction score
1. When i use an image with an Creative Commons - Attribution license, WHERE do i have to put the name? Is it enough to put the name into the description box? At the end of it?
YES. PUT IT IN THE DESCRIPTION BOX. IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU PUT IT AT THE BEGINNING OR TH EEND.

2. Can i show images of celebrities and politicians when i quote them or say something about them? Assuming i dont break any copyright law with the image itself.
YES. IMAGES OF CELEBRITIES ARE IN THE PUBLIC DOMAIN.

3. Can i show trademarks of companies in my videos? My content is rarely about the company itself. For example i review a book about SELLING and mention how and why apple fans wait infront of an apple store for days. I visualize that with a building on which i put the original apple logo. Or i talk about how social media can be used to spy on people and show the logo of facebook and google.
YES. AS LONG AS YOU ARE NOT CLAIMING TO REPRESENT THE COMPANY WHO'S TRADEMARK YOU SHOW, AND ARE JUST USING IT FOR ILLUSTRATIVE PURPOSES.

4. When i use royalty free images from pixabay, is it necessary to make a screenshot of every single license to be safe, or can i save that time because its unlikely i will ever need them?
COPYRIGHT OBVIOUSLY CONCERNS YOU GREATLY. NO HARM IN KEEPING A RECORD OF LICENCES.

5. Is there anything else i have to keep in mind when doing anmited book reviews? I usualy summarize a whole book with all important points into 7 minutes.
PASS.

I like the sound of animated book reviews. I'll check out your channel.

Ein Buch in 7 Minuten

Reaction score
I thank you so much for your answers. This uncertainty really hurt my work ethic because i couldnt stop pondering about this stuff.
And the answers are also what i hoped them to be.

Thank you so much

Reactions: Yachts For Sale

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I've moved this to the Copyright discussion forum. =)

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
All Pixabay media is Public Domain, not Royalty Free. As such they can be used for any purpose, and can even be modified if your project requires that.

You also don't need to screen cap a CC0 License page, as CC0 is the same as Public Domain. If YouTube should ever ask you for Usage Rights info, just place a link to one license into the form, stating this license applies to all media found on that site.

Ein Buch in 7 Minuten

Reaction score
Well these are the answers i was hoping for.
The screen cap question was for the case that they ever take a picture of their site and then i cant prove its free. But i guess the chance that this happens and the person who made that picture then flags my german video, is probably zero.[DOUBLEPOST=1494078371,1494003286][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh and another question.
Is there any chance of showing the cover image (from google) of the book i review at the beginning of the video, falling under "fair use"?
Because thats what i did for my first 20 videos before i noticed that infringe copyrights.

I stopped doing that but i would love if i dont have to delete all my old videos because i would lose all my momentun and some of them already have a nice ranking.

If i am not allowed to do that (what i guess is the case), can i still monetize those videos and hope that the publisher doesnt care (he shouldnt, because he directly benefits from me linking to his book on amazon).

Or should i contact the publisher and ask for permission?

Sorry if my english is not correct, i am german and i didnt sleep for like 24 hours.