I have no clue what I'm doing on Youtube anymore

Leo Hashee

The Asian dude
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
If you do get a job in video for a more "traditional" background (commercials/tv/film) then realize what is required of a "Youtube Editor" is actually 2 different occupations in that world. There's editing and then there's video effects compositing.

Editors are use to getting a few different angles with scene. Not always, sometimes non fiction pieces only got 1 angle to work with, then they usually experiment b-roll. Editors typically want to think of elements like "mise en scene" (french for "Staging") and you want to constantly affect how the placement of the composition will affect your viewers. Part of that is knowing when to cut a shot and not drag it out too long. Part of that is avoiding ping pong dialogue (where the shot always cuts to a person as soon as they're talking). Being good at editing can pay a lot of money. A lot of actors warm up to top tier editors because they know an editor can make or break them.

Video effects compositing is where you specialize in making digital effects aka CGI. People think of like 3d models when they hear CGI but technically all "computer generated imagery" fits the acronym. You wouldn't be working with after effects if you get really high up there. I used a node based video effects compositor "Nuke" in film school. Haven't used it in forever but it had mocha (really good motion tracking. I believe after effects after cs5, including the cc pack, comes with mocha. It's way better than the after effects default motion tracker.) integrated into it. It's a lot more pricey than AE and you're more likely going to know how to use it if you want to be a VFX compositor.

Video compositors typically get paid a higher, average salary than video editors. It is a lot more tedious work though; where as editing you can feel out the flow more and be more relaxed about it. There are film editors who get paid more than VFX compositors but those guys are really good at their jobs.

Film editors just starting out also need to experiment with color adjustment and some motion graphics. If you're a small time editor doing low budget pieces then sometimes the roles expected are compressed into 1 job. Film editor has to pick up color adjustment and motion graphics for low budget gigs.

This is typical in traditional media though. Like high budget gigs have a production manager and production coordinator. Meanwhile some low budget gigs may have the roles of production manager & production coordinator compressed into a single production manager gig or sometimes production coordinater gig (which is really a cheapskate move because the usual rate for PM is higher than the usual rate for a PC. So really you have to do the work of a higher pay grade for less money).

---------------
You don't have to go to film school to learn everything you need to know about traditional media industry. There's plenty of websites with resources that are a good place to start. There's also plenty of books that can talk about the 5 steps of production (development, pre production, production, post production & distribution).

I recommend anyone trying to do Youtube to look back at traditional media. If people educated themselves on the 5 steps of production & were BOLD in being proactive & reaching out to people/press; then they are more likely to go somewhere. Deal memos are a great thing.
Oh damn I wasn't expecting this long of a reply loll but I really appreciate it.
I am looking into more of a video editing aspect rather than a visual compositor job, but thanks for all of this information, it'll come to good use for my future

Hi

One of the problems to why you are doing so slow in growth is following:

1. You are not sharing to social media I haven't seen you linking any twitter, facebook or other social media pages to your channel youtube likes that when you share your videos it helps on the SEO and you could also have a blogpost where you share your videos on and make sure to share them every week but dont share the same post make a new dosent matter if its the same video.

2. Try update the metadata for your videos and see what keywords works best for you also try not to use the same keywords again and again in your first video I see you have for example used keywords like rap often if you do that you risk that youtube see it as spam and ranks your videos lower.

3. Your channel description is to short it doesn't explain what your channel is about which helps the youtube algorithm to understand you better so you rank higher.

I hope this helps :thumbsup2:

Best,
Oliver
Yesssss! I'm so happy you told me this stuff! I'll be sure to work on it soon, I seriously appreciate this information and advice :) Thank youuu

TheBattProductions

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Answer this:
What is your passion & how can you use that to make content that others will care to hear?

Now do that.

Smartie

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey guys, I'm Leo!

I keep on crawling back to these forums because Youtube is such an in and out thing for me, but I've been doing this stuff for a while. I posted something yesterday but no one answered me...

I guess my question or problem is that I just have no idea what I'm doing on Youtube anymore.

I forgot how to network, I don't know how to find friends and smaller channels like mine (well, other than YTtalk so I'm trying to get back here lmao), and overall activity on my channel is just...eh. Like, I do have a few viewers, and I appreciate it a lot, but I just have no idea how to spread anything, my social media, my channel, etc. I don't want to spam anywhere, because that's scummy and I've tried it years ago. I suck at talking to new people, or even finding people to talk to in the first place.

So yeah, I want to keep making videos. And I want to make friends that also make videos. But I just don't know what I'm doing anymore.

Even my content: I have no idea what I'm doing, what style I am....I'm just a huge mess right now l o l

I was wondering if anyone had any advice?
You seem like quite the character. Watched a few of your videos I think your hilarious. If you really like or love doing YT just keep going with it, if you don't have enough time, post once a week. Spreading your content on facebook and twitter is fine, you don't need to have like 5 other platforms.

I've been in the same situation before, I was in and out all the time and couldn't make up my mind. But when I started getting a lot of great feedback from my friends & youtube viewers I wanted to keep doing this. The more I tried, the more feedback and fans I got.
The more your channel grows the more you'll feel better about it, this is just the beginning friend.

Conso1727

Pizza pasta mandolino videogiochi
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
I am about in the same situation of the OP, I made some friends but that's about it. I'd like to collaborate with them, not necessarily for the exposure but just to not do the nth solo project, the problem is they either do different kind of videos or they are much bigger than me so I'm ashamed to ask. I will read the replies to the thread and take note.

ItsCynth

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I understand your frustration, but I'm still so early in my (current) channel I'm all excited even though I'm not gaining any subs yet.
For me the difficult part is that one of the most important aspects is to "promote outside of youtube". Problem with that is is I'm not the type of person who uses social media, so I don't even have a following on social media. I could spread videos on Twitter, and I do, but still no one is going to see it. Growing on Twitter then becomes its own challenge. If you have a decent social media following, definitely utilize that!
This isn't my first channel though, and I know that "in and out" feeling. Actually with every other hobby besides YT I also do the "in and out" thing. For me it really helps to try and write down why my motivation is so wishy-washy. I feel like with this channel I'm a lot more focused than mostly anything else I've ever attempted.
Something I have done, which might help you content wise, is come up with a list of like 20+ video ideas/trends, and then go over each one and see why it would or would not fit your channel. If it does fit your channel, then the next question is whether you'd enjoy making it and how you'd put your own spin on it.
The finding friends / other small channels thing is also one of my major struggles, which is why I'm so glad I've found this forum!

Reactions: Smartie

OrbitGuy

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Ya know I get that feeling sometimes too, but more that I don't know what my channel will evolve into and it's scary how one small decision can impact it so much. I thought I was just going to make a few videos on one mobile game and then upload xbox stuff, and now 250 vids later mobile is all my audience wants to see regardless of whether I like it or not. I didn't start YouTube planning to make the content that I make now. However I like making videos a lot and sometimes you just have to come to terms with how your skillset and content fit into YouTube.

You just need to put together a plan that details some goals about what you want to do with your channel and the type of content you want to create and then figure out how other people have made that happen and learn how you can do it yourself. It hasn't always followed the plan for me but it helped me explore different options and move with purpose in terms of creating content. I really feel good when there is a purpose to each video I create, helping me move toward a goal, and I know it's content that has the chance to really help my channel.

TYTD

If it's radioactive, Its on TYTD
Reaction score
Website
tytdreviews.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
I suppose the honest answer at this point is what makes you happy? and is there anyway you can take what makes you happy and make it into youtube content? if the answer to the first question is "Not making youtube content" then give it up for a bit :) I took 10 years out between my first channel and my current one, I spent 3 years building my first channel and amassed 68 subscribers, at least 20 of which were sub4sub (Please have mercy on me I was young, naieve and it was the late 2000's) you'll eventually get your groove back and if you dont...well, the boards here wont exactly kick you out for not making content xD

Realistically there are so many areas of marketing,design and promotion required these days to get anywhere with a youtube channel im often astounded at some of the plate spinning some people do as a one man/woman operation...the kind of expectations contemporary internet audiences have could have only been achieved by a television crew only a short while ago...its miraculous...just dont sweat it and your time will come again :) and its also worth bearing in mind the people on here and out there on the net are generally tilted towards being more helpful than obstructive...if you need someone to give you advice on marketing, editing or content creation just ask :) im sure someone will be more than happy to help you out :)

FRANKIEandEMILY

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
If you do get a job in video for a more "traditional" background (commercials/tv/film) then realize what is required of a "Youtube Editor" is actually 2 different occupations in that world. There's editing and then there's video effects compositing.

Editors are use to getting a few different angles with scene. Not always, sometimes non fiction pieces only got 1 angle to work with, then they usually experiment b-roll. Editors typically want to think of elements like "mise en scene" (french for "Staging") and you want to constantly affect how the placement of the composition will affect your viewers. Part of that is knowing when to cut a shot and not drag it out too long. Part of that is avoiding ping pong dialogue (where the shot always cuts to a person as soon as they're talking). Being good at editing can pay a lot of money. A lot of actors warm up to top tier editors because they know an editor can make or break them.

Video effects compositing is where you specialize in making digital effects aka CGI. People think of like 3d models when they hear CGI but technically all "computer generated imagery" fits the acronym. You wouldn't be working with after effects if you get really high up there. I used a node based video effects compositor "Nuke" in film school. Haven't used it in forever but it had mocha (really good motion tracking. I believe after effects after cs5, including the cc pack, comes with mocha. It's way better than the after effects default motion tracker.) integrated into it. It's a lot more pricey than AE and you're more likely going to know how to use it if you want to be a VFX compositor.

Video compositors typically get paid a higher, average salary than video editors. It is a lot more tedious work though; where as editing you can feel out the flow more and be more relaxed about it. There are film editors who get paid more than VFX compositors but those guys are really good at their jobs.

Film editors just starting out also need to experiment with color adjustment and some motion graphics. If you're a small time editor doing low budget pieces then sometimes the roles expected are compressed into 1 job. Film editor has to pick up color adjustment and motion graphics for low budget gigs.

This is typical in traditional media though. Like high budget gigs have a production manager and production coordinator. Meanwhile some low budget gigs may have the roles of production manager & production coordinator compressed into a single production manager gig or sometimes production coordinater gig (which is really a cheapskate move because the usual rate for PM is higher than the usual rate for a PC. So really you have to do the work of a higher pay grade for less money).

---------------
You don't have to go to film school to learn everything you need to know about traditional media industry. There's plenty of websites with resources that are a good place to start. There's also plenty of books that can talk about the 5 steps of production (development, pre production, production, post production & distribution).

I recommend anyone trying to do Youtube to look back at traditional media. If people educated themselves on the 5 steps of production & were BOLD in being proactive & reaching out to people/press; then they are more likely to go somewhere. Deal memos are a great thing.
this is fantastic advice.

Reactions: Tania

Nikki120113

YTTalk's Cookie Pizza
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Other
Take a break. I had the same thing 2 years ago that why i constantly disappeared. I forgot why i wanted to do youtube & what i loved to do etc.
I took a break & had some space, did some thinking & what not. It took longer than i hoped but here I am again & loving youtube more than before!
You need to produce videos that you love, otherwise it'll just feel like a chore. If you dont like the video you just made, dont upload it just for the sake of it. Be proud of what you upload.
Don't rush into making the video, plan it out... there's no race ^.^

Reactions: Tania