I have 70k subs and tried to change my content..

Loverfella

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hello! I run a YouTube channel with around 70k subs. I grew my audience based off of ONE single game, every single video I relate not involving this game is a flop. Videos with the 'main game' get 40-50k views, while anything else may not even get 500 views. My audience turns on me the second I play something else, so I tried to ween them off. I reduced my main game from daily, to every other day, to three times a week, and finally last month I didn't do it once. I'm not losing subs constantly, and every comment wants me to go back to that game.

My long term channel goals are to grow to around 100k this year, and eventually 1 million subs. So is it to my best interested to keep playing that game, getting views, and trying to mix other games in while capitalizing on what audience I already have? Or should I just cut cold turkey and try to re-brand into something else, which is essentially the same thing as starting over. I've had other big youtubers offer my advice on this, but I really would love some opinions of people who have done this or seen growth in this patter in your past. The reason I wanted off of the main game is because I'm afraid it's going to decline slowly, and lead my channel to just slowly fizzling out in time. I'm not sure if it's beneficial to keep that while I work on new strategies, or if I should just commit to a complete new strategy.

Thanks!

Primink

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
deleted

Last edited:

evoloz

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
I can understand your problem, although to a slightly lesser degree. I have around 800 subs with the main focus of my channel being total war arena. I get around 500 to 1000 views for an arena video but if I switch to a different game i often only get 100 to 200. I am however, working to keep a stead flow of different games to keep things a bit mixed up and to make sure people don't get to caught in only seeing the one game type.

As others have said i'd slowly change your content, whilst also keeping enough footage of your old game so that you keep subscribers active and happy

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
How often do you upload? If you upload daily it might be worth while putting out both the expected content and new content. And hope that over time views will migrate to the new content.

Reactions: videoeditgr

Loverfella

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I post daily, but I work full time as an engineer so 2x per day isn't possible.

Idec Sdawkminn

Horror Versions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Hmm, I wonder if demand for your main game will die when the game does and then your audience will welcome something else. Does that seem like an option?

Reactions: Boki

aliceromy

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
are people actually unsubscribing when you upload different content or just moaning about it? 500 views is still a lot of people who want to watch it! if you still enjoy playing the other game then why not 'officially' announce that you're going to do it every other day, i feel like people are less likely to moan when they know they'll still be getting the content they want.

also if you have Twitter it would be a good idea to do a poll to get a better idea of how people feel, most passive subscribers won't go to the effort of leaving Youtube comments but they're more likely to vote on a Twitter poll.

OrbitGuy

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I've been playing the same game for the past year and a half and 90% of my subs came from that one game, so I'm in a similar situation as I want to eventually switch to a larger audience game. It's hard, but if/when I find the game and decide to seriously do it what I will do is the exact same thing I did for starting the previous game. I may do a small transition period where the content is mixed and then I will go all in on the one new game just as I went all in on my current game. For me the reason to move games has less to do with my current game dying but more to do with wanting a larger ceiling for growth.

You may have to generate a partially new audience if you pick something that most of your audience isn't interested in, but that's part of what I'm trying to consider with my choice. It's possible the other games you've played so far didn't overlap with your audience's interests? There may be games that would retain a larger percentage of your audience. For me playing a random mobile game I got like a couple hundred views, but if I played Clash Royale which *had* been very popular and is similar in style to the game I currently play then I would get 500-1000 views which was much better and I attribute that to a lot of my audience also playing that game. I think a good portion of the audience will have to be new but depending on the game you choose you could keep more or less of your current audience.

Either way I would be prepared to do gateway style videos on the new game because you will need to get some traction with the new game's audience to really make it work. I think a lot of channels have attempted to do this and it's never an easy situation though some are certainly more successful than others.

BossHogg FGF

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hello! I run a YouTube channel with around 70k subs. I grew my audience based off of ONE single game, every single video I relate not involving this game is a flop. Videos with the 'main game' get 40-50k views, while anything else may not even get 500 views. My audience turns on me the second I play something else, so I tried to ween them off. I reduced my main game from daily, to every other day, to three times a week, and finally last month I didn't do it once. I'm not losing subs constantly, and every comment wants me to go back to that game.

My long term channel goals are to grow to around 100k this year, and eventually 1 million subs. So is it to my best interested to keep playing that game, getting views, and trying to mix other games in while capitalizing on what audience I already have? Or should I just cut cold turkey and try to re-brand into something else, which is essentially the same thing as starting over. I've had other big youtubers offer my advice on this, but I really would love some opinions of people who have done this or seen growth in this patter in your past. The reason I wanted off of the main game is because I'm afraid it's going to decline slowly, and lead my channel to just slowly fizzling out in time. I'm not sure if it's beneficial to keep that while I work on new strategies, or if I should just commit to a complete new strategy.

Thanks!
I guess that old saying works here, don’t fix what’s broken. If your fans want a specific game or style then keep it going bro!

When it comes to new content just try and mix it in with the current game, but I definitely wouldn’t cold turkey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: ASMR Amour

ASMR Amour

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I feel like you should keep doing your old videos some but not as much. Mix in the kind of videos that you really want to do on top of those ones. That is what I do with my channel, so that I get people who like both in the process of growing. It just might be a funky phase while your community gets used to it I bet.

Reactions: BossHogg FGF