I had someone send this to me over Twitter -

pcgamergirl

Coffee Fiend
THIS IS THE NOTE I WAS SENT -----

You should really re-evaluate your content. And that's coming from someone speaking of over a decade of YouTube and general media experience. Only just because you got yourself the catchy name "PC Gamer Girl" doesn't automatically make you a "credible source" of gaming news. Your current follower base is pretty much insignificant, compared to the various other sources out there. So you're basically a small channel in the big pond, just like every other guy who just wanted to start out. Only that YOUR content comes across as "wannabe" ...meaning that you ACT like you're already "big" when in reality you aren't... and THIS leaves an incredibly arrogant impression. That's why I did not enjoy seeing "low effort posts" on your channel - BIG channels can actually afford to repost trailers and such, because maybe some people are EXPECTING it from them. Maybe they are so big that some people actually go towards them as their NUMBER ONE news source. But you're not. So it's absolutely NOT fitting you. Please take this into consideration for future uploads. And if you don't, well, then please take this advice from a YouTube veteran: you'll be going down (or at least: not growing) if you continue to do that. That's not an estimation - it's a given.
---
This was sent to me after I'd posted a 2 minute long game trailer, which was 100% press allowed, demonetized, on ANY gaming channel. And any video on my channel beyond this is 100% demonetized and age restricted as regulated by most news outlets.[DOUBLEPOST=1504840082,1504840002][/DOUBLEPOST]Keep in mind I am EXTREMELY small channel right now. I have 350 subscribers entirely gaming related.

After a glimpse of what you make, I think you make relatively good content. You have a nice voice unlike me, and you can comment while you go unlike me (I typically write a script). I noticed you do say "Guys" a lot. I think at your point you can say that. However, I refrain from doing so because I have a whole whopping 13 subscribers. To be totally honest, I don't think you have an extremely creative name, but your content should speak for yourself- and it does.

So pretty much ignore what he /she says. Their criticism is rather harsh, and I wouldn't keep it in mind. Good luck on your channel.

This seems to be their justification for telling you this : "And that's coming from someone speaking of over a decade of YouTube and general media experience."

Their tone is unnecessarily hostile. Also why do they have a problem with your channel name? It seems fine to me. In fact it is way better than a lot of gamer channel names that I've seen.

I've not checked out your content, but to my mind, i would just ignore what they've said, and definitely don't engage in conversation with them.

It's likely that they are just hoping you will reply with an "omg, thank you you're so wise" and that feeds their ego.

Probably a jealous individual. If you really analyse what they say, and can find actual reason to take on board the criticism then some good can come from it. Otherwise best to ignore it :)

"And that's coming from someone speaking of over a decade of YouTube and general media experience."

Their tone is unnecessarily hostile.
I totally agree with this, the fact that they came across super hostile, almost threatening you and in such an arrogant tone too, super unnecessary, also, so what if they've been on YouTube for 10 years? I've been on YouTube for 7 or 8 years on different channels and I know NOTHING, time doesn't equal knowledge... I seriously hate people like that, so self entitled.
You should really re-evaluate your content.
////
you'll be going down (or at least: not growing)

i honestly don't care if that individual has been on YouTube since the creation of YouTube, that is no way to give constructive criticism, that is just plain rude and disrespectful. He is for some reason trying to scare you, like you are in competition with him, but guess what honey, you don't have to change your name, content and style for NOBODY, because he is just crazy, you got this girl!!!!!!

My guess is this is spam and the same message sent to many many channels.
Just ignore and keep doing your thing.

He wasn't very tactful that's for sure.

I see your most popular upload is The Sims 4 Cats & Dog Trailer with 25k views.

I totally agree with this, the fact that they came across super hostile, almost threatening you and in such an arrogant tone too, super unnecessary, also, so what if they've been on YouTube for 10 years? I've been on YouTube for 7 or 8 years on different channels and I know NOTHING, time doesn't equal knowledge... I seriously hate people like that, so self entitled.

That doesn't address his "general media" experience though.
Although he lacked any sort of grace with his criticism, you got to ask what's the long term plan. Think proactive rather than reactive.

You either got to be big or be one of the first to get any sort of traction in the search engines. Either that or you got to plan some sort of promotion scheme with someone who has juice.

That's simply the truth of the matter. If you don't then it's a hobby that will never turn out. You wouldn't grow exponentially quick enough to account for subscriber burn. If you don't have good post production qualities then make up for it with pre production effort. Do some research. If you want to be a let's player then you got to know games with a following way before they come out. Then you got to do whatever it takes to have your video be one of the first to drop so you get on the first 3 pages of search results before some youtube giant pushes you out.

If you're doing toy reviews then hey the market is a little less saturated but you still got to think proactively. Maybe you still want to find out about toys before they come out. Maybe you offer some slow mo shots for certain products (like nerf) and use the meta data to gain some traction.

This is more than a persona. You're a full process production now. If you think proactive rather than reactive with the pre production process; I guarantee good work there will pay off.

The guy who DM OP is a punk though. I didn't see any problem with her voice or the manner she was speaking in. Just another hate filled punk who should be talking to a counsellor

"That's fine. I'm sorry you were put off by some of my content. Thanks for the advice, but I think I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and let my channel fail, as you said. Have a nice day!"

That's how I'd respond.

Just another hate filled punk who should be talking to a counsellor

I see your point, definitely, I was just initially put off by the overall attitude of the DM,
plus, getting big isn't the goal for everyone, not everyone wants to get on trends as quickly as possible just because they're popular (no problem with people that do that, mind you)
I know for a fact that I don't care about what videos are popular or not, Some of my favourite videos to do get the least views of my entire channel but I still do them because I enjoy them
Not everyone wants YouTube to be their career, I think just doing you and doing what you enjoy is much more rewarding

I guess it's different with gaming since there are so many of them, that's just my opinion though!

Back