I got strikes and I can't make heads or tails why?

CryptoWealth

Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
I have had a cryptocurrency channel for almost two years. I have never had any issues until suddenly I got my first warning and my first strike all within the same hour.

The strike is about promoting harmful or dangerous stuff and when I research that its about stuff like guns and weapons. I just have a cryptocurrency channel.

I had someone tell me it was because it was cryptocurrencies but that doesn't make sense far larger influencers in this space.

Someone else told me it had to do with "affiliate links". Could that be the issue? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Hi

Was this in the last few days? A few days ago, Youtube announced another crackdown on what they consider to be "inappropriate". I'm not saying that what you're doing is inappropriate but that is probably the explanation. You can read their announcement on their blog https://youtube.googleblog.com/2019/06/our-ongoing-work-to-tackle-hate.html There have been lots of reports in the last few days of videos/channels being deleted following that announcement.

CryptoWealth

Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
Yeah I definitely don't have a channel that has anything to do with the crackdown. I'm not disrespectful to anyone or any group of people on even one of my videos. So not sure. Someone told me it's because I have affiliate links in my description? Is that against TOS or something?

CryptoWealth

Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
Bump (I guess I want to make sure I can affiliate links in my descriptions) one fella youtuber told me that was the issue??

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Yeah I definitely don't have a channel that has anything to do with the crackdown. I'm not disrespectful to anyone or any group of people on even one of my videos. So not sure. Someone told me it's because I have affiliate links in my description? Is that against TOS or something?
Affiliate links per se are not against the rules.

However - the guidelines for content and what you can and cannot link to are here. I suggest you read them: https://www.youtube.com/intl/en-GB/yt/about/policies/#community-guidelines

Youtube's crawlers will follow links and look at the keywords and reputation of the destination website. If the website you are promoting is deemed to be a bit shady, then yes, it will cause the video linking to that site to be flagged for a manual check. I'm guessing you're promoting something to do with "making money." That is definitely going to be a very grey area.

A very quick browse of the TOS brings up this clause which I'm guessing might be an issue with your content in the eyes of a YT employee:

Don't post content on YouTube if it fits any of the descriptions noted below.
  • Scams: Content offering cash gifting, 'get rich quick' schemes or pyramid schemes (sending money without a tangible product in a pyramid structure).
  • Gets clicks, views or traffic off YouTube by promising users that they'll quickly make money.
Here are some examples of content that's not allowed on YouTube.

• Making exaggerated promises, such as claims that users can get rich quickly or that a miracle treatment can cure chronic illness such as cancer.

Source: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2801973?hl=en-GB

CryptoWealth

Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
Wow that can be so subjective. But thank you for the response.

Reactions: Crown

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Wow that can be so subjective. But thank you for the response.
Yeah, when it comes to content about making money, you have to tread very carefully.

Rather than link directly to 3rd party websites from YouTube with your affiliate links, a safer strategy would be:

1) Setup your own blog or website and write some articles and blog posts on it. Make sure the website isn't spammy or scammy.
2) On YouTube, make videos related to money / finance but not hardcore "how to get rich".
3) At the end of each video, promote a blog post or free ebook that you have written on your website that is loosely related to the video. Then in that blog post, you'd have your affiliate links to the 3rd party websites.

It's more work but it's a much safer approach.