I got copyright strikes for in-game music?

Justice

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hi guys, I just got a copy write strike on my latest video and I've never dealt with this before.

I'm not allowed links apparently so just look at my saints row: gat out of hell part 1 for reference, sorry to be a pain.

The strike was made by AMP Music for sound recording. But I haven't added any outside music to the game? Shouldn't this issue be with the game creators or such? The claim was for 0:35-1:13 and 15:23-16:26.
I just want this resolved so I can continue with my content, thanks everyone!

WolfWraith

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
Being a part of the Saints Row franchise I can only assume the game uses a combination of its own OST + third party music. You're s**t out of luck and can't dispute it, unless you can find out if AMP made the claim falsely or accidentally. Otherwise the only thing you can do is remove the parts of the video that use copyrighted music & turn off the in game radio/music in future Saints Row vids to avoid issues like this. Always check that a game uses an OST and not third party music. OSTs are USUALLY copyrighted by the publishers & not the original composers. But you can always check who owns the copyrights & distribution rights to an OST as well.

Justice

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Being a part of the Saints Row franchise I can only assume the game uses a combination of its own OST + third party music. You're s**t out of luck and can't dispute it, unless you can find out if AMP made the claim falsely or accidentally. Otherwise the only thing you can do is remove the parts of the video that use copyrighted music & turn off the in game radio/music in future Saints Row vids to avoid issues like this. Always check that a game uses an OST and not third party music. OSTs are USUALLY copyrighted by the publishers & not the original composers. But you can always check who owns the copyrights & distribution rights to an OST as well.
Thanks that's cleared up alot of my confusion. Ill check who owns the OST for the music now then decide what to do. Unfortunately the music is unavoidable because it is just background music to the cutscences Of The story not on the car radio or anything like that.

WolfWraith

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
Thanks that's cleared up alot of my confusion. Ill check who owns the OST for the music now then decide what to do. Unfortunately the music is unavoidable because it is just background music to the cutscences Of The story not on the car radio or anything like that.
You should still be able to turn that off in the audio options. For games like that I usually put the music on 0.

Shakycow

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
You didn't get a copyright strike, you received a 3rd party claim. There's a huge difference- notably, your video is still live and your account remains in god standing. All they did was monetize the video on their behalf.

With that said, in addition to turning off any in game music, it would also be wise to edit out any cut scenes as they're notorious for causing problems like this.

Oftentimes, one channel with access to Content ID will include them in their video, which will then (wrongly) flag all future videos that show the same scene. For more problems and hassle than they're worth.

Reactions: subversiveasset

WolfWraith

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
With that said, in addition to turning off any in game music, it would also be wise to edit out any cut scenes as they're notorious for causing problems like this.
That doesn't work if you're doing a full playthrough let's play though, it'd make them virtually redundant. On top of this Deep Silver don't claim videos, although you do need to email them to receive permission & an official declaration of approval. The wise thing to do would be to actually check a publisher's/developer's policies on using their content in videos & if you contact them make sure to ask about using both visual & audio content. And if a 3rd party without copyrights claims a video cause of the content ID system, then you just dispute it. Some publishers will claim vids with cut scenes but it's primarily companies like WB or Nintendo etc... who either have strict policies or just don't allow anyone outside of their permission to use content.