I Got A Youtube Strike - Advice What Not To Do

Josh Keatley

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I feel that I don't deserve the strike. I had a video "Free xbox live". I finally found a promotion that offered free xbox live and made a video about it. That promotion expired. I found a new promotion and put the new link on the video. I forgot all about the video it is almost 2 years old now and somebody flagged it for -

"Everyone hates spam. Misleading descriptions, tags, titles or thumbnails designed to increase views are not allowed. It's also not okay to post large amounts of untargeted, unwanted or repetitive content, including comments and private messages."

I guess my title was misleading because it said free xbox live and the promotion is over and you don't get free xbox live any more?

MY ADVICE - Stay away from any promotion videos. Those promotions will end and people will be mad when they don't get what your video says and will flag your video.

Gabriel

YouTube Addict
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Yeah, the way YouTube sees it as metadata abuse. Similar to if you were changing your video's title to a popular topic every time.

Stike96

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I feel that I don't deserve the strike. I had a video "Free xbox live". I finally found a promotion that offered free xbox live and made a video about it. That promotion expired. I found a new promotion and put the new link on the video. I forgot all about the video it is almost 2 years old now and somebody flagged it for -

"Everyone hates spam. Misleading descriptions, tags, titles or thumbnails designed to increase views are not allowed. It's also not okay to post large amounts of untargeted, unwanted or repetitive content, including comments and private messages."

I guess my title was misleading because it said free xbox live and the promotion is over and you don't get free xbox live any more?

MY ADVICE - Stay away from any promotion videos. Those promotions will end and people will be mad when they don't get what your video says and will flag your video.

I once did a promotional video for when Box was giving out free 50GB storage to new users and I just made sure that I made the video private once the offer expired. Yeah that is really unfair though but not really surprising.

Josh Keatley

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I once did a promotional video for when Box was giving out free 50GB storage to new users and I just made sure that I made the video private once the offer expired. Yeah that is really unfair though but not really surprising.
I agree that those videos of old promotions that no longer serve a purpose should be took down from youtube. If I would have known it was a problem I would have immediately took it down. I don't agree with no warning straight to a YouTube strike. That is really harsh for people that work really hard on YouTube.

Stike96

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I agree that those videos of old promotions that no longer serve a purpose should be took down from youtube. If I would have known it was a problem I would have immediately took it down. I don't agree with no warning straight to a YouTube strike. That is really harsh for people that work really hard on YouTube.
Yeah I know what you mean, it is really unfair that content creators for YouTube are getting strikes and things like that for things that they didn't even realise were wrong. The sad thing is that YouTube never really supports people who get incorrect strikes.

Josh Keatley

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Yeah I know what you mean, it is really unfair that content creators for YouTube are getting strikes and things like that for things that they didn't even realise were wrong. The sad thing is that YouTube never really supports people who get incorrect strikes.
They gave me 120 character space (estimated) to put my appeal in of why I shouldn't have a strike. I had to shorten what I was saying to get my less than 3 sentence appeal in. It is just ridiculous!

Tarmack

Rhetorical Porcupine
Reaction score
To provide context on why this is a problem, let's use a ridiculous example that happens frequently.

YouTuber puts up a video of a cat. Video goes viral as cute cat videos often do. YouTuber decides they can make some money on it over and above ad revenue, so they put a referral link in the description to some gaming site. They've now misled viewers by including links to unrelated content and it was edited in long after the fact.

It is also why certain edit features are available only until a video hits 10K views. As much as I'm sure it sucks to have it happen to you, it is a perfectly reasonable and in my opinion valuable response from YouTube. We don't need abuse of search established videos in this way, which frankly used to happen all the time before they started cracking down on it.

Stike96

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
They gave me 120 character space (estimated) to put my appeal in of why I shouldn't have a strike. I had to shorten what I was saying to get my less than 3 sentence appeal in. It is just ridiculous!
I know, I personally never got a strike before but I heard other people complain about the appeal. Good luck with getting the strike removed anyway, I hope YT listens to and acts on your appeal.