I got a microphone but still have a horrible hiss i can't edit out :(

ItsBecky

Internet Idiot who loves making people laugh
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I admit the microphone wasn't expensive, and it was just a little external one for my 600D but now I have this hiss that I can't seem to get rid of, I have tried using adobe audition and everything but it's not working, i'm really annoyed as I'm starting to think it's the camera, but I have had it too long to get rid of it

The mic itself seems to work fine, the hiss seems like it's coming from the camera itself

What should I do?

The Mic I got was the BY-VM01 Directional Video Condensor Microphone

I would attach a photo but it wouldn't let me sorry!

Chris Raynerson

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
I'm more curious of what hiss you are getting. Is it possible you could upload the hissing video so that way we could get a better understanding of what the source of the problem is coming from?

ItsBecky

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I have found a video which shows the exact same issue I have, I have learnt how to turn the hissing down in the settings but it's impossible to edit out entirely

sorry just put it without spaces, I found this video from someone with the same problem and same camera
https :/ /www. youtube.com/ watch?v= T5pL0gJkeKE

Chris Raynerson

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
I have found a video which shows the exact same issue I have, I have learnt how to turn the hissing down in the settings but it's impossible to edit out entirely

sorry just put it without spaces, I found this video from someone with the same problem and same camera
https :/ /www. youtube.com/ watch?v= T5pL0gJkeKE
Yeah you aren't going to get all of it out. That's impossible to do. But you can learn from the situation and prevent it.

Preventing this is basically in two:
1. Leveling your audio before you record. Find where the sweet spot of the audio mix is. Not too much where you are too loud and distort it, but not too soft where you'll have to max the audio in your editing software/copy and paste the audio clip over and over to make it louder.
2. Your environment of recording the audio. The less electronic noise (basically having electronics powered on) the better.

Xynudu

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It's a Canon and hiss goes with older Canons.

I had the same issue with my Canon, that's partly why I switched to Nikon.

There's nothing you can do except push up the record volume levels so that the hiss is masked at normal background play level.

Cheers Rob

Skeltano

The Best YouTuber
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
The fact that you've "had the camera way too long to get rid of it" might be the issue.
Old cameras aren't really that reliable, they don't make 'em like they did before.

Ernie Jo

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
If you want a small mounted shotgun mic the best one around is the Shure VP83f, it has internal flash recording so you don't have to run it through the camera's crappy preamps. It's about $300 I think, which I realize you might not have $300 laying around, but you should save up and get it it's totally worth it :)

Marky Sparks

I've Got It
Reaction score
I admit the microphone wasn't expensive, and it was just a little external one for my 600D but now I have this hiss that I can't seem to get rid of, I have tried using adobe audition and everything but it's not working, i'm really annoyed as I'm starting to think it's the camera, but I have had it too long to get rid of it

The mic itself seems to work fine, the hiss seems like it's coming from the camera itself

What should I do?

The Mic I got was the BY-VM01 Directional Video Condensor Microphone

I would attach a photo but it wouldn't let me sorry!
Another thing to minimize the hiss would be to put a low pass filter on the audio when your editing your video. this cuts off the high frequency when you get to a certain point defined by you.

ItsBecky

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I am just having so many problems with it, if I remove the noise my voice goes really echoey and weird like I'm in a cave or something, but the noise is too loud to keep in, I have been working on it for 2 days and it probably sounds a lot worse to me then it will to everyone else especially now, but I just cant stop thinking about how rubbish it sounds, and I don't know what to do :( I want to post it but I'm scared of what my subscribers would think, and they are all the ones who told me to go out and buy a mic yet in my opinion I feel like it's made my videos worse, for some reason my mic is also really quiet, and when I turn it up in post production that's when the problems start and the hissing is really loud, I've googled all these different things, looked at plugins I can't afford, and my mic has literally no options on it to turn it up or anything it's incredibly basic, I just got it as all my subs told me too but I don't have the money to buy a really good one either

I am just worried I will post it and it may get popular due to the fact it's on an app not many people know about it, and it would make my channel look bad and I won't grow at all but i'm worried this will be the type of video quality I will have to deal with now for a while. I may just go back to how it was before the mic, a tiny bit of noise in the background but my voice sounds normal not echoey and like I'm a goldfish bowl or something, I was so proud of the little microphone too and now I'm starting to wonder if its my camera

I feel really rubbish right now as I have just worked solidly on it for 2 days I don't really want to refilm and I will normally have finished by now and can get on with other work but I really want to upload it, but I know how important audio quality is in a video, I am honestly struggling to sleep as I keep thinking of ways I could possibly improve it and all I wanna do is try it haha it's really sad. I put a note up at the beginning to warn about weird audio, but I just know someone is gonna come along and comment on the audio, and when working so hard on it, I think it would just really wind me up hahahaa

Really sorry just needed to rant, being a youtuber is so hard sometimes