I got a copyright strike. Plz help.

Jesse Gabel

Reaction score
Okay, so heres the deal.

I recently decided to make a new channel (a second one) where I would post videos all about Voltron Legendary Defender, which is a Netflix original series. I knew that other people had posted Voltron videos on YouTube, so I didn't think there would be any issues. But as soon as I posted my first video, it was blocked worldwide because it had copywrited material in it.

Other people have posted footage of Voltron Legendary Defender on YouTube with no problems, my video has my own logo/watermark in the top left corner, and it has commentary and other titles throughout the video. I see no reason why my video shouldn't be allowed on YouTube. Can someone help me with this?

My channel is called Voltron Theorist btw, but the forum wont let me post a link to it -.-

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I moved this to the copyright/strikes/legal discussion forum. ^^

Jesse Gabel

Reaction score
Oh did I post it in the wrong place? Sorry XD[DOUBLEPOST=1495731530,1495722140][/DOUBLEPOST]So uh is no one going to help me with this? XD I'd kind of like to get this worked out ASAP.

Farley Productions

Pursuing the Arts one step at a time.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
From your description it seems like you know that your video was in "Fair Use." With commentary, logos, text, etc.
As long as you know you're in the right (and I'd do a little more research) then I'd dispute the claim. Most of the time the content creators won't go all the way with their dispute.

Jesse Gabel

Reaction score
Thanks alot man :)[DOUBLEPOST=1495756696,1495756435][/DOUBLEPOST]How exactly do I file a dispute? I went into the video and theres multiple different sections that I can file a dispute on, but there doesnt seem to be a way to do it for the entire video.[DOUBLEPOST=1495756791

Idec Sdawkminn

Horror Versions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
How exactly do I file a dispute? I went into the video and theres multiple different sections that I can file a dispute on, but there doesnt seem to be a way to do it for the entire video.
You don't dispute the video. You dispute the claim. On the Copyright tab of the video settings for that video, it will have the claims and the ways to respond to them. You can also get to this page by clicking "View claim details" on the email you received about the claim. You might have the option to remove audio, but there should definitely be something that says "Dispute claim".

Jesse Gabel

Reaction score
By clicking that it takes me to a list of different options I can select (The material in the video belongs to me, etc). But none of my reasons are listed >_<

I emailed Dreamworks, the company who owns Voltron LD. Maybe they can help?

Idec Sdawkminn

Horror Versions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
By clicking that it takes me to a list of different options I can select (The material in the video belongs to me, etc). But none of my reasons are listed >_<

I emailed Dreamworks, the company who owns Voltron LD. Maybe they can help?
By explaining how you have commentary and titles and stuff, you are trying to give reasons why your use of the copyright material is "fair use". You would select that option when disputing. You don't need permission to use the content because you believe it is fair use.

Jesse Gabel

Reaction score
So what do I do, exactly? I went to the video in copyright notices, and found a bunch of different notices throughout the video (first picture). When I click File a Dispute, this comes up (second picture). The "My use of the content meets the legal requirements for fair use or fair dealing under applicable copyright laws." seems to be the closest to my reasoning but not exactly. Not too sure if "I am sure that my video meets the legal requirements for fair use and I want to dispute this claim." I dont know too much about copyright laws other than some basics...[DOUBLEPOST=1495827211,1495827053][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, if I file the dispute and it isnt considered valid, will that terminate my entire YouTube account, or just the Voltron Theorist channel? (I have another channel with nearly 300 subscribers and I dont want to lose it...)