Did you sub4sub when first starting out

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dead Joe

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey all,

Probably a lot of post on here about this, but wanted to talk to some people who have started out falling for the sub4sub crap.
So there I am, fresh faced youtuber wondering how the hell do I get people to notice my channel. Upon searching "how to get subscribers" the page fills up with "100 subs in a week" video's, and "shout-out" channels. All of which are promising
"Community" and "helping each other grow" lines. So I think, ok..I suppose this is how everyone starts out!
Next thing I know I'm trawling through sub for sub comment sections in shout-out vids.
Long story short, I end up with over 100 subs in a month and getting views and comments of how great the vids are.
But something's not adding up....
As you would know, nobody is actually watching. The average watch times are a minute at best. Not only that, I become so scared of losing subs, I turn around and do the same thing. "Staying active" they call it. Clicking on a vid, commenting how good it is and moving on. OMG..I'm one of those channels!! How did I fall for this??

I'm done... I hate this....this is not what I want my channel to be. I think the only thing to do is unsubscribe from everyone and move on. I'm even thinking of deleting my vids that are full of "I subbed and liked, sub back?" comments.
Anyway, just needed to put this out there somewhere. Would love to here from anyone that's gone through a similar experience. Let me know how you've dealt with it and what the outcome was.

Cheers all
DJ.

Reactions: XXLRay

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I moved this to the strategy/technique advice forum. ^^

wickisworld

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Yup, happens to a lot of us, even if we don't intend on it. In the first few weeks I started my channel, I too thought that's just what everyone did. Like a common courtesy type of thing. I quickly learned the reasons why you shouldn't do it, so then I began only subscribing to channels I WANT to subscribe to, but it never stopped the sub4sub people from commenting on my videos or subbing in hopes of a sub back even if I don't sub to them or say that I will. Unfortunately it's something that keeps happening no matter what. And yes, most of them do not watch the videos :( The good thing is that you figured it out early on so you won't intentionally get more of these and then end up with 2,500 useless subs. I have seen channels with that many subs and they are getting less views on their videos than I do.

Reactions: Dead Joe

Ralph Mickey

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Congrats for catching yourself and being willing to change.

I have seen the ads you speak of and it is understandable on how it happens so don't beat yourself up about it.

Here's what I would do:
You unsub from all the channels you don't like - I wouldn't say just do them all, there may be some there that you will like and deserve an actual sub. And you never know, maybe one day they will make the same choice you are making now.

Keep your vids there but (only if you want to) go back and edit out the sub for sub lines. Or maybe a better idea - if you did them all at the end of your video, then I would make an official "ending clip" and replace your sub for sub lines with that.

Also you may have some legit subs in that 100+. For that you could do a quick explanation video to your viewers. This will only be seen by your real viewers probably anyway and it will show them that there is a real person behind the camera.

Overall this would be a great time to go back over your old vids and see where you can make some overall improvements and maybe put in a snazzier outro, fix some editing mistakes and just see how improvements can be made in your future vids.

Hope this helps.

Scootakip [Lana]

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
How to get subscribers: Make good videos and work for those subscribers
There's no cheap tactic that will actually work in the long-run, seriously

Reactions: pcastro51

Dead Joe

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Yup, happens to a lot of us, even if we don't intend on it. In the first few weeks I started my channel, I too thought that's just what everyone did. Like a common courtesy type of thing. I quickly learned the reasons why you shouldn't do it, so then I began only subscribing to channels I WANT to subscribe to, but it never stopped the sub4sub people from commenting on my videos or subbing in hopes of a sub back even if I don't sub to them or say that I will. Unfortunately it's something that keeps happening no matter what. And yes, most of them do not watch the videos :( The good thing is that you figured it out early on so you won't intentionally get more of these and then end up with 2,500 useless subs. I have seen channels with that many subs and they are getting less views on their videos than I do.
Agreed, better to of worked this out early

Dead Joe

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I moved this to the strategy/technique advice forum. ^^
Thanks[DOUBLEPOST=1492637781,1492637163][/DOUBLEPOST]
Congrats for catching yourself and being willing to change.

I have seen the ads you speak of and it is understandable on how it happens so don't beat yourself up about it.

Here's what I would do:
You unsub from all the channels you don't like - I wouldn't say just do them all, there may be some there that you will like and deserve an actual sub. And you never know, maybe one day they will make the same choice you are making now.

Keep your vids there but (only if you want to) go back and edit out the sub for sub lines. Or maybe a better idea - if you did them all at the end of your video, then I would make an official "ending clip" and replace your sub for sub lines with that.

Also you may have some legit subs in that 100+. For that you could do a quick explanation video to your viewers. This will only be seen by your real viewers probably anyway and it will show them that there is a real person behind the camera.

Overall this would be a great time to go back over your old vids and see where you can make some overall improvements and maybe put in a snazzier outro, fix some editing mistakes and just see how improvements can be made in your future vids.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the advice mate, I will keep my vids up and do as you said, just delete the sub comments.
Cheers[DOUBLEPOST=1492638340][/DOUBLEPOST]
How to get subscribers: Make good videos and work for those subscribers
There's no cheap tactic that will actually work in the long-run, seriously
Agreed scootakip,
I'm actually looking forward to just having a channel that only interacts with people who want to be there.

Reactions: Hendog1981

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
I don't even do CTA or ask for anything. I just put out a video like it was on tv. I don't have a high number but those who subscribe are in because they choose to

Dead Joe

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I don't even do CTA or ask for anything. I just put out a video like it was on tv. I don't have a high number but those who subscribe are in because they choose to
That's exactly how I'm going to do it mate. If it grows, it'll be for the right reasons.

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
That's exactly how I'm going to do it mate. If it grows, it'll be for the right reasons.
And to me, anymore, it just sounds stupid. Everyone instantly goes into the same cta over and over. It sounds desperate and breaks the flow of what's going on . It's almost like if you care that much about subs, just do a video that's only a cta and gtfo!