I don't monetize my channel, can I use popular music?

Lulu Bea

Reaction score
I don't monetize my videos at all. Would I still get a copyright strike if I used popular music, ie, top 10.

UhoohExtra

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
You can't take what ain't yours. Yes you'd get a copyright strike. IP is especially strict with music. Your best option to to use music from the creator studio library. It's difficult to navigate and find stuff but you can sort it into attribution required/ not required. You can use anything from youtube creator studio music library in your videos on youtube (thats what its for) and not have to worry about it. There are some good tracks on there if you spend some time searching for them.

Reactions: OndaWire

Seansie

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
From what I’ve heard, that’s a big no no. Even when you mention them in the description box. I’d be on the safe side and just stick with royalty free or get a subscription with some websites that provide music. There’s a ton out there that only cost a bit a month.

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I moved this to the copyright discussion forum. ^_^

BrettTaylorYT

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
From what i heard no. That would still give you a copyright strike. You need to own everything in your video and if you don't own something it needs to be royalty free or used under fair use law or something in the public domain

Looped Fruit

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Best to not take the chance and to use copyright free music or use music that Youtube provides in the creator studio. I use copyright free music, I go to a few Youtube channels that upload copyright free music and it works great! Goodluck.

Wakanda

Reaction score
Strikes have nothing to do with monetization so I’m certain you would get a strike if the owner wanted to. All they have to prove is your video bear their content

Last edited:

Cephus

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Of course you can. You cannot post what you do not own the legal rights for or have legal permission to post, period. It doesn't matter if it's monetized or not. It doesn't matter if it's public or not. You cannot do it. You are breaking the law.

FringePhilo

Reaction score
The rest of the replies are correct, don't do this. But there are plenty of composers and musicians that are simply trying to get exposure as well and would happily give you permission to use their music. There are also other sources for copyright free music that you can freely use simply by including the original link to their work.