I don't know what to do

BobTheWizard

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
So, the thing I thought would never happen to me - happened. I got a copy right strike on my video.

This video was a 'minecraft server trailer' that was bought by someone and sent to me by the owner of the server to upload for a bit of advertising, in return for money. From what I see, 'Auv' made the trailer and then the server bought it from him for others to upload in return for payment. Now I can see that I have gotten a copyright strike on my channel and that video has been removed by 'Auv' who has already sold them the video. Auv has also sent me a threat on twitter saying he will take more action if I 'steal' videos again - I didn't.

Anybody got any suggestions on what I should do? Should I wait for the strike to be automatically taken off in 3 months or dispute? Should I talk to Auv (he doesn't seem very understand by the threat he sent though)?

MOO

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Ok, so here are a few points to be made. And these are honest questions here. May I ask what rights are taken away with a copyright strike?

Whatever those rights are, you need to examine them and see if it is really worth a dispute. From what I heard, disputes are a hassle and, unless you are a really big YouTuber and make a living off it, usually not worth it.

But, if these copyright strikes are heavily impacting your ability to create and upload, then I would suggest disputing. Again, though. Weigh the cost-benefit ratio.

Also, this Auv guy...yeah, if he's sending copyright threats, just ignore him/block him, do not take anymore of his content, and simply make no more deals that could involve him.

Either way, you should be aware of the copyright policies for the future and not upload anything where you don't have the rights to in the future. Good luck!

subversiveasset

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
So, the thing I thought would never happen to me - happened. I got a copy right strike on my video.

This video was a 'minecraft server trailer' that was bought by someone and sent to me by the owner of the server to upload for a bit of advertising, in return for money. From what I see, 'Auv' made the trailer and then the server bought it from him for others to upload in return for payment. Now I can see that I have gotten a copyright strike on my channel and that video has been removed by 'Auv' who has already sold them the video. Auv has also sent me a threat on twitter saying he will take more action if I 'steal' videos again - I didn't.

Anybody got any suggestions on what I should do? Should I wait for the strike to be automatically taken off in 3 months or dispute? Should I talk to Auv (he doesn't seem very understand by the threat he sent though)?
Something doesn't make sense about this setup.

1) Did Auv sell the server the trailer? Or did he only give limited rights for use of the material?

2) You say the trailer was "bought by someone and sent to me by the owner of the server". Don't you know who did this? If so, why can't you appeal to them to talk with Auv?

Basically, if Auv thinks the video is stolen, then it seems someone doesn't have the full story, and I don't know whether that is you or Auv. Maybe through talking it out with Auv, you can realize if you made a mistake, or if he made a mistake. And if the mistake is his, perhaps he can rescind the copyright takedown notice.